GeoCache Placement Reminder

Go JayBee

I'm sure that many of you all have already seen this:

"Important Geocache Placement Reminder

-----------------------------

This week, a marketing campaign for a television show was mistaken for a terrorist

threat and the city of Boston, USA was temporarily shut down. For geocachers

worldwide, this raises the issue of proper cache placement.

Please make sure to avoid placing a geocache in any location where it might be

confused with something dangerous.

Important things to consider when placing or maintaining your geocache:

1. Make sure that your geocache can easily be identified as a geocache.

2. Use a clear container, if possible, so that the contents are easily identified.

3. Identify your container as a geocache by marking the outside of the container or

attaching an Official Geocache sticker.

4. Make sure that you have permission from the landowner to place your cache on

their property.

Please take the time to ensure that your cache is appropriately placed and

contributes to the positive experience of others."

I am very pleased that the issues recently aired on these forums have been addressed....thanks Jeremy.

Thanks Go Jaybee for taking on this issue, even in the face of nothing but ridicule from other cachers in these forums. I think this is an important issue that could result in very negative consequences for geocaching. Clearly TPTB understand this also and have acknowledged the problem.

We, as a community, need to make sure we don't just ignore badly placed caches, but act proactively to end the practice.

This week, a marketing campaign for a television show was mistaken for a terrorist

2. Use a clear container, if possible, so that the contents are easily identified.

3. Identify your container as a geocache by marking the outside of the container or

their property.

I am very pleased that the issues recently aired on these forums have been addressed....thanks Jeremy.

Could you please post what thread you took this post from so we could read all the comments in context?

their property.

Could you please post what thread you took this post from so we could read all the comments in context?

I got it two days ago in the Groundspeak e-mail notifications.

their property.

It was from: [GSP] Groundspeak Weekly Notification...you know, newest caches in your area, etc.

So since a clear container is always 'possible' does this spell the demise of ammo cans?

Camoflauge?

Has the press won?

I think those were suggestions, not an addendum to the guidelines. Commom sense should be paramount. What is an appropriate container in the middle of the woods far from the beaten path, is quite different from what would be appropriate in a high traffic area where searchers are likely to be observed and caches accidently discovered

So since a clear container is always 'possible' does this spell the demise of ammo cans?

Camoflauge?

Has the press won?

I think those were suggestions, not an addendum to the guidelines. Commom sense should be paramount. What is an appropriate container in the middle of the woods far from the beaten path, is quite different from what would be appropriate in a high traffic area where searchers are likely to be observed and caches accidently discovered

Well, sure, they came out in email as opposed to a guideline revision... still, and email from da boss carries a lot of weight!

Their being no indication of when and where a clear container is recommended, anyone reading it will read it to apply to all caches.

I am just curious if this is an indicator of future direction.

Camoflauge?

Has the press won?

Well, sure, they came out in email as opposed to a guideline revision... still, and email from da boss carries a lot of weight!

Their being no indication of when and where a clear container is recommended, anyone reading it will read it to apply to all caches.

I am just curious if this is an indicator of future direction.

Well, if I remember correctly, last time someone bothered to add up and sort out all the caches that had triggered a police response, there were more clear tupperware types involved then either ammo cans or pipe-style caches.

All the rail bombs in Spain a few years ago were in clear plastic containers.

So perhaps there should be a warning against hiding clear plastic containers.

Thanks Go Jaybee for taking on this issue, even in the face of nothing but ridicule from other cachers in these forums. I think this is an important issue that could result in very negative consequences for geocaching. Clearly TPTB understand this also and have acknowledged the problem.

We, as a community, need to make sure we don't just ignore badly placed caches, but act proactively to end the practice.

R.O.N., That was overly dramatic. This isn't the pipe bomb thread. The letter quoted in the OP isn't even any direct relation to that thread. Let's leave that bit of drama behind hmmm?

I don't see the questionable placement issue to be a huge problem, but merely isolated incidents that get blown wayyyyyy outta proportion and THAT happens usually to support someone's agenda.

:anitongue: Good on Groundspeak for puttin' out a reminder... Bad on anyone who takes that message and tries to twist it into a crusade against micros, or LPCs, or whatever type of hide/container they dislike and would like to have rounded up and shot. <_<

Edited by Snoogans

confused with something dangerous.....

It was from: [GSP] Groundspeak Weekly Notification...you know, newest caches in your area, etc.

Yes I know what the weekly notification is.

I asked my question after 10:00 P.M. Friday night and did not get my e-mail notification till sometime between 3:00-9:00 A.M. Sat morning. More than 2 days after you guys did.

No wonder I never have a chance for FTF! :anitongue:

edit to shorten up quotes

Well, if I remember correctly, last time someone bothered to add up and sort out all the caches that had triggered a police response, there were more clear tupperware types involved then either ammo cans or pipe-style caches.

I think that's not right. In the List of Bomb Scares and Other Fun Stuff, i tried to identify the container whenever possible. There were relatively few instances of clear containers being blown up relative to other types of containers. This is my unscientific opinion based on my experience (the caches that I have found) given that it's impossible to gauge how many of the different types of containers have been used for geocaches. I think that pipes are very bad (there seems to be a lot of pipes in the list relative to the number of pipe caches I've found) followed by ammo cans and anything covered with camoflage tape.

Ding! I think that location is a far more important consideration than container type. Instances of caches in remote locations causing a bomb scare are very rare regardless of the container type being used. This is pretty good evidence that urban and suburban hides must be executed differently or not at all.

I think that's not right. ...
I'm pretty sure that Mopar is right. There was a thread discussing this very issue, as I recall.
Ding! I think that location is a far more important consideration than container type. Instances of caches in remote locations causing a bomb scare are very rare regardless of the container type being used. This is pretty good evidence that urban and suburban hides must be executed differently or not at all.
I can't agree with this. The only way that they need to be executed 'differently' is that caches deep in the sticks don't require careful hiding because people are less likely to wander up on it. Your inference that caches should not be hidden in urban or suburban areas is nothing more than your personal opinion.

their property.

Oh crap, my last hide is 0 for 4 on that list. <_<

I think that's not right. ...
I'm pretty sure that Mopar is right. There was a thread discussing this very issue, as I recall.
I can't agree with this. The only way that they need to be executed 'differently' is that caches deep in the sticks don't require careful hiding because people are less likely to wander up on it. Your inference that caches should not be hidden in urban or suburban areas is nothing more than your personal opinion.

As per usual, your post has no substance. You're just running your mouth.

You allege that there is a thread that demonstrates that clear plastic containers are blown up just as frequently as other types of containers but you offer no link. Thanks for nothing.

I did not say that caches should not be hidden in urban or suburban areas. The inference is all yours. And then you went on to agree that urban and suburban caches requre more careful hiding. What's your point of disagreement?

I think that there's a much more obvious and important reason that caches in these areas must be executed differently: THEY ARE MUCH MORE LIKELY TO BE PERCEIVED AS A THREAT WHEN FOUND.

As per usual, your post has no substance. You're just running your mouth.
I never move my mouth while typing.
You allege that there is a thread that demonstrates that clear plastic containers are blown up just as frequently as other types of containers but you offer no link. Thanks for nothing.
I posted that I believe that there was a thread. Perhaps I'll search for it in a bit. You are welcome to perform a search, if you wish. (Perhaps, you are the one that is posting without substance, just to forward your long-standing agenda.)
I did not say that caches should not be hidden in urban or suburban areas. The inference is all yours. And then you went on to agree that urban and suburban caches requre more careful hiding. What's your point of disagreement?
Perhaps I read more into your post than necessary, but I don't think so based on your previous history.
I think that there's a much more obvious and important reason that caches in these areas must be executed differently: THEY ARE MUCH MORE LIKELY TO BE PERCEIVED AS A THREAT WHEN FOUND.
This is only true because there are more people in those areas. As you know, caches in wooded areas have also had the police called for them.

their property.

Did you notice that the best advice of all is not on that list? Hide your cache so muggles don't find it. Simple, and it works. The others are for when it doesn't work.

Did you notice that the best advice of all is not on that list? Hide your cache so muggles don't find it.

You may have missed reading the thread in question, where someone who was a geocacher looked up a cache that already had several finds, went right to the cache location, found it, then called the police to blow up the cache, then logged the cache that they just had blown up as a find. ...Relying on common sense and only cachers finding the container you give coordinates to aren't really helpful with some of the crazy people (even some cachers) running around out there. <_<

Did you notice that the best advice of all is not on that list? Hide your cache so muggles don't find it.

You may have missed reading the thread in question, where someone who was a geocacher looked up a cache that already had several finds, went right to the cache location, found it, then called the police to blow up the cache, then logged the cache that they just had blown up as a find. ...Relying on common sense and only cachers finding the container you give coordinates to aren't really helpful with some of the crazy people (even some cachers) running around out there. <_<

Personally, if it was known that the container was in fact a cache, then calling out the bomb squad was a bit over the top, I agree. If you read past logs from Jayel57, you'll see that she has never lost her cool, which leads me to believe that she didn't know. A lot of people just print the cache page out and don't read the logs. I've decided that from now on, when I come across a container that is not well hidden that is in view of the general public and is in a "bad" container, I will contact the cache owner and put a needs maintenance on the cache. I would recommend everybody do this. Whether you like it or not, these types of caches are endangering geocaching. Perception is everything. When the bomb squad is called out to blow up a cache, geocaching gets a bad name. In time, if this practice continues, we WILL start to see geocaching get banned. And once the ball starts rolling, it's going to be very difficult to stop. Groundspeak is not going to be out there ensuring that caches meet the standards, so it is our responsibility to do that.

If you come across a questionable cache in a questionable location, don't leave it alone, contact the cache owner and let them know that the container is questionable. If the owner disregards the email, contact your local reviewer and put a needs maintenance on the cache in question. If this still doesn't resolve the problem, contact Groundspeak and remove the cache. The problem with just getting the cache archived and leaving the cache in the location is that the cache is still available for muggles to find. We need to start taking ownership and responsibility for the game we love so much.

Edited by ReadyOrNot

I read it. If a cacher finds the cache then calls the bomb squad and logs it to boot, there isn't much anyone can do about that. In that case all the rest of the advice won't matter either. Once reported protocal takes over. My advice is sound, the advice that started the thread is sound. All of it goes towards the same goal. Reduce the chance the cache is reported. Also not placing caches near high risk targets it also lowers the chance of a massive Boston style responce.

The #1 thing you can do is place your cache so muggles don't find it. Everthing else is plan B.

[...I think that's not right. In the List of Bomb Scares and Other Fun Stuff, i tried to identify the container whenever possible. There were relatively few instances of clear containers being blown up relative to other types of containers. This is my unscientific opinion based on my experience (the caches that I have found) given that it's impossible to gauge how many of the different types of containers have been used for geocaches. I think that pipes are very bad (there seems to be a lot of pipes in the list relative to the number of pipe caches I've found) followed by ammo cans and anything covered with camoflage tape. ...

You know, I rather liked my misconception. Now you had to go and ruin it by actually looking at the facts. <_< I still like Ammo cans but don't use them in the urban world. When are they going to make Clear Decon containers?

After reading posts on this subject I'm rethinking one of my caches that I have in a high traffic area. Waiting for the concert to start I kept glancing over at the cache hidden just behind where the police were standing keeping an eye on the concert attendees and looking for anything that might be suspicious. If they only knew. The cache is wrapped in camo tape and has a large magnet to hold it in place. It's discovery would have been interesting. I can't magine a cache ever posing a threat, but then they don't know it's a cache and their policy is to be safe which means any unknown is suspect.

Think I may go talk to the city authorities about my caches again to make it better known that a cache is there and hopefully see if there is someway to avoid any problems that could arise.

...Think I may go talk to the city authorities about my caches again to make it better known that a cache is there and hopefully see if there is someway to avoid any problems that could arise.

That's a bad idea. City authorities are only in charge of the caches on their lands. You are far better off talking to the people who actually run the lands like the Parks deparment for caches in the park. As the saying goes the mayor and city council have bigger fish to fry. If they want to know about geocaching they will ask their parks folks.

After reading posts on this subject I'm rethinking one of my caches that I have in a high traffic area. Waiting for the concert to start I kept glancing over at the cache hidden just behind where the police were standing keeping an eye on the concert attendees and looking for anything that might be suspicious. If they only knew. The cache is wrapped in camo tape and has a large magnet to hold it in place. It's discovery would have been interesting. I can't magine a cache ever posing a threat, but then they don't know it's a cache and their policy is to be safe which means any unknown is suspect.

Think I may go talk to the city authorities about my caches again to make it better known that a cache is there and hopefully see if there is someway to avoid any problems that could arise.

Even if the city authorities or parks department were aware of the cache, if some muggle happens across it and calls the police, they aren't going to check with the parks department and city counsel before sending the bomb squad out. I just finished a series of caches that were hidden in the middle of downtown Portland in some extremely high traffic areas. But they were done in such a way that nobody in their right mind would just happen across them. Urban caches can be done well with a little imagination. Some of my most memorable finds have been urban micros, but they were unique hiding locations and unique containers, not just a duct taped altoids can stuck to an electric box. You get out what you put into it I guess.

Edited by ReadyOrNot

I just looked at the video on CNN of the light boards in Boston and all I can say is that if people thought THOSE were bombs, we as cachers, are doomed.

We have become a nation of wusses, so scared of our own shadows that even someone posting a few miniature billboards- nothing more than "electronic graffiti"- causes us to shut down major cities and cower in terror.

Obviously there is no way to predict what someone will think is a "bomb". A cache container disguised as a dirty diaper could cause total panic!

IMO the terrorists have us right where they want us. And when we pull out of Iraq, we'll remove all doubt about our wussiness for the whole world.

Shame on us for badmouthing the French and Spanish!

All that said, I don't have an answer. Just stay indoors and keep the TV off. Our game is done.

I just looked at the video on CNN of the light boards in Boston and all I can say is that if people thought THOSE were bombs, we as cachers, are doomed.

We have become a nation of wusses, so scared of our own shadows that even someone posting a few miniature billboards- nothing more than "electronic graffiti"- causes us to shut down major cities and cower in terror.

Obviously there is no way to predict what someone will think is a "bomb". A cache container disguised as a dirty diaper could cause total panic!

IMO the terrorists have us right where they want us. And when we pull out of Iraq, we'll remove all doubt about our wussiness for the whole world.

Shame on us for badmouthing the French and Spanish!

All that said, I don't have an answer. Just stay indoors and keep the TV off. Our game is done.

I don't usually agree with you, but well said. The tactic is either go after them or they will come after us. One cannot just sit and wait for the next attack. The scariest outcome of the war so far is what it is doing to our self-esteem as Americans. We as Americans are afraid. But at the same time, we are afraid to really get down and dirty and take out the terrorists. It seems like our politicians want to sit down and talk with them.. God help us. I digress.....

People shouldn't automatically call in the bomb squad when they find an altoids tin, but the fact that they do should tell us something. I'm with you, I don't know what the answer is.

I posted that I believe that there was a thread. Perhaps I'll search for it in a bit. You are welcome to perform a search, if you wish. (Perhaps, you are the one that is posting without substance, just to forward your long-standing agenda.)

I presented facts. You offered nothing except unfounded allegations of an agenda and a vague reference to an alleged forum thread that supposedly proves something that doesn't make sense. If it exists, I'd like to read it and learn. Your drivel is just that if you can't back it up. We're still waiting for that link.

This is only true because there are more people in those areas. As you know, caches in wooded areas have also had the police called for them.

Well Duh! The why of it is irrelevant. Pointing out rare exceptions that prove the rule does not make your case or further YOUR agenda (whatever that is).

You may have missed reading the thread in question, where someone who was a geocacher looked up a cache that already had several finds, went right to the cache location, found it, then called the police to blow up the cache, then logged the cache that they just had blown up as a find. ...Relying on common sense and only cachers finding the container you give coordinates to aren't really helpful with some of the crazy people (even some cachers) running around out there. :rolleyes:

I read it. If a cacher finds the cache then calls the bomb squad and logs it to boot, there isn't much anyone can do about that. In that case all the rest of the advice won't matter either. Once reported protocol takes over. My advice is sound, the advice that started the thread is sound. All of it goes towards the same goal. Reduce the chance the cache is reported. Also not placing caches near high risk targets it also lowers the chance of a massive Boston style response.

The #1 thing you can do is place your cache so muggles don't find it. Everything else is plan B.

After emails with the hider of the "pipe bomb" cache, who was never contacted by authorities, and the lack of anything indicating it ever happened beyond one cacher with a over active imagination, it looks like the whole thing was more fiction/urban legend than anything else.

This note is one that most will miss since I think the majority of cachers do opt out of the mailing, however was probably in response to the thread, logs and probably notes from people who fell for it.

Suggestions are all common sense and should be applied, however while some are obvious, occasionally "high risk target" is somewhat subjective.

The number of caches actually involved (unlike the "pipe bomb" story) in these types of events are still relatively rare when you take into account the number of hides out there.

Start hiding 35 mm micros, no one seems to want to blow them up :blink: even though they probably pose at least as great a threat as any other cache out there.

I presented facts. You offered nothing except unfounded allegations of an agenda and a vague reference to an alleged forum thread that supposedly proves something that doesn't make sense. If it exists, I'd like to read it and learn. Your drivel is just that if you can't back it up. We're still waiting for that link.

Well Duh! The why of it is irrelevant. Pointing out rare exceptions that prove the rule does not make your case or further YOUR agenda (whatever that is).

You waited three days to post that? Wow. You cut me to the core.

You may have missed reading the thread in question, where someone who was a geocacher looked up a cache that already had several finds, went right to the cache location, found it, then called the police to blow up the cache, then logged the cache that they just had blown up as a find. ...Relying on common sense and only cachers finding the container you give coordinates to aren't really helpful with some of the crazy people (even some cachers) running around out there. :blink:

I read it. If a cacher finds the cache then calls the bomb squad and logs it to boot, there isn't much anyone can do about that. In that case all the rest of the advice won't matter either. Once reported protocol takes over. My advice is sound, the advice that started the thread is sound. All of it goes towards the same goal. Reduce the chance the cache is reported. Also not placing caches near high risk targets it also lowers the chance of a massive Boston style response.

The #1 thing you can do is place your cache so muggles don't find it. Everything else is plan B.

After emails with the hider of the "pipe bomb" cache, who was never contacted by authorities, and the lack of anything indicating it ever happened beyond one cacher with a over active imagination, it looks like the whole thing was more fiction/urban legend than anything else.

This note is one that most will miss since I think the majority of cachers do opt out of the mailing, however was probably in response to the thread, logs and probably notes from people who fell for it.

Suggestions are all common sense and should be applied, however while some are obvious, occasionally "high risk target" is somewhat subjective.

The number of caches actually involved (unlike the "pipe bomb" story) in these types of events are still relatively rare when you take into account the number of hides out there.

Start hiding 35 mm micros, no one seems to want to blow them up :grin: even though they probably pose at least as great a threat as any other cache out there.

Responding to the above two bolded statements:

1> It is a "proven FACT" of evolution that hides begin to degrade from the instant they are published (sometimes before). Therefore placing a cache so that it will not be muggled is an impossibility. (I used the word "evolution" and I clearly stated that it is a proven fact, therefore if anyone disagrees with this statement they are obviously unscientific, uneducated hicks or right wing religious fanatic nut jobs :unsure: )

Add to this the recent propensity of muggles to call any object they find in a public place to be a "bomb", and there really is no solution. basically, if we are to be concerned with the "bomb" thing, our sport is DEAD- especially in urban areas.

We basically have a decision to make- do we give up urban caching all together? Or do we just use common sense with our hides (primarily assessing potential disruption "costs") and accept the fact that we will inevitably have a few run-ins with authorities?

My personal concern is the authorities all-too-common use of "strong arm" tactics against those who place the "suspicious" objects. They seem to always come around with that "Federal felony charges" bull crap and "you gotta pay for the million dollar expenses of our ridiculous over-reaction"

in reality, there is no law being broken in most cases (generally felonies require "intent") and the "million dollar" expenses could have easily been saved simply by the scene commander using a BRAIN. But the threat to bankrupt and incarcerate the innocent gamer is enough to make almost everyone decide "to heck with it, this game ain't worth the hassle".

2> The internet is at once the greatest research tool ever- and the WORST!

Misinformation, hype and just downright LIES are rampant online.

Hopefully we are all rational human beings and we make decisions based on the best information we have available to us. The big problem is that it has become increasingly difficult to separate the hype and urban legends from the truth.

Let's face it if virtually every politician in this country (even the one's who have conveniently "forgotten" that they voted in favour of the war in the beginning) were misled by "false" information about WMD's in Iraq, what information can WE trust to set our policies concerning geocache placement relating to "bomb" scares?

one of the best points I have seen in this debate is that there are really very few caches being blown up considering the number of them that are out there. Perhaps this whole issue is a "tempest in a teapot".