HELP

frumpies

;) I am a paying Premium member and going through most of the ?? about paperless is this :

My View is this : you have to be a PC nerd or be ready to get youre money out ?

Any suggestions??

:lol: OK I am up and running with CacheMate and GSAK all in working order !

Thank you for youre Help !

Heading out the door with my Palm 21 & Garmin 60csx

Edited by frumpies

I would help, but I still kill trees when I go caching.

I actualy think that paperless caching is saving me money.

I had the premium membership any how, was going through alot of paper and ink.

Plus I don't have all those stacks of paper around the house making the Mrs. all upset.

I would help, but I still kill trees when I go caching.

I actualy think that paperless caching is saving me money.

I had the premium membership any how, was going through alot of paper and ink.

Plus I don't have all those stacks of paper around the house making the Mrs. all upset.

No doubt. I want to make the switch, but there never seems any time. I've got a Dell Axim that I can use, but it's got a bad battery. I need to go pick a new one up and I'd be ready to go. Darn laziness! :anitongue:

Don't know how much a battery will cost you but I have heard of Palm IIIEs(?) going for $10 on ebay.

With a cheap one you won't feel bad if you drop it in the creek, or sit on it.

Well if you feel bad after sitting on it it will be less about the broken PDA than...um...other problems that may have been caused by said incident. :anitongue:

I recently went paperless... picked up a Palm Vx on eBay for 30.50 including shipping. I have 200 cache pages saved in it. Using Plucker. Cachemate and Cachelog for all. what a difference than having papers everywhere ... Only thing is I've used in once since i bought it(a month ago)it's been so darn cold my 2 boys ages 6 and 3 won't go out....But come next weekend they will not have a choice... going to Cleveland for a little family get away and there is a TB hotel in the parking lot of the hotel where we're staying...so I've got that PQ ready to run on Thursday and I'll dump them in my GPSr and the Palm...be good to go for the Cleveland area...no tree killing here!

Scott

Well I'm not a PC nerd and I didn't spend much to go paperless.

Whats your question again?

The OP asked for help and this was your reply to him. I'm just saying it might help to be a bit more helpful. How can me talking about paperless caching be hijacking the thread?

Let's discuss how the OP can get started for cheap.. And maybe I can figure it out too!

The OP asked for help and this was your reply to him. I'm just saying it might help to be a bit more helpful. How can me talking about paperless caching be hijacking the thread?

Let's discuss how the OP can get started for cheap.. And maybe I can figure it out too!

Umm he didn't really ask a question that we could help him with... Anyway check his OTHER thread and you will see that I provided him answers to his questions...

Umm he didn't really ask a question that we could help him with... Anyway check his OTHER thread and you will see that I provided him answers to his questions...

yes I do have another thread.This 1 I put out in frustration ! but I will try again with the info from other thread [PDA]

Don't know how much a battery will cost you but I have heard of Palm IIIEs(?) going for $10 on ebay.

With a cheap one you won't feel bad if you drop it in the creek, or sit on it.

Well if you feel bad after sitting on it it will be less about the broken PDA than...um...other problems that may have been caused by said incident. :huh:

Speak for yourself. Iwill be heartbroken if I drop or sit on or otherwise destroy my "New in Box" Palm IIIXE that I recently pucchased on Ebay for $15.00 US. :huh:

Seriously though, much handier than paper, with GSAK and Cachemate I can sort, find nearest, log finds... so much better than paper. When I get my process refined I may even splurge and see if I can get a color Palm off of Ebay for a few more bucks!

:huh: I am a paying Premium member and going through most of the ?? about paperless is this :

My View is this : you have to be a PC nerd or be ready to get youre money out ?

Any suggestions??

:cry: OK I am up and running with CacheMate and GSAK all in working order !

Thank you for youre Help !

Heading out the door with my Palm 21 & Garmin 60csx

Well, since I am a computer nerd, I have no problems. :huh:

Get a cheap PDA.

Lots of them dirt cheap on ebay.

Use a program such as GSAK to open and organize your PQ's.

GSAK can then be used to send the cache info to a program on your PDA such as Cachemate.

Once you get going it is alot easier than it sounds.

Thanks for the info. I have a Palm Pilot and downloaded CacheMate and GSAK from the links you provided. So far it seems pretty easy to use. Once my PQ is emailed to me I'll set that up on my PDA.

Edited by zwvirtual

OK I'll ask the question... First off I have a Magellan 500 and a Palm M125. I am not a premium member, yet but will be soon. I am currently using Magellan Geocache Manager to keep track of by finds etc. I will add that I am not a computer nerd so please keep answers somewhat basic. Yes I can turn on the equipment so I do not need it to be that basic.

My question is, What do I need to go paperless and how to I make it work togeather? I like the cache manager from Magellan but this is the only one I have been exposed to.

Get a cheap PDA.

Lots of them dirt cheap on ebay.

Use a program such as GSAK to open and organize your PQ's.

GSAK can then be used to send the cache info to a program on your PDA such as Cachemate.

Once you get going it is alot easier than it sounds.

Thanks for this info. I have an old palm that I just pulled out of the box a few days ago. I just set up with gsak and cachemate and it seemed to be the easiest route. I had been fumbling around with it for days and after reading your post I went through and set up in under an hour. Although with Cachemate, you need to spend the $8.00 to register so that you can load more than 10 caches. Thanks again!! :(