GPS for a moron.

Hi Everyone;

I have a good friend who geocaches and it sounds like loads of fun. I'd like to try it myself, have never done it before, don't own a GPS, and am not too bright. I'd like to buy an inexpensive, used GPS (off of e-Bay perhaps) to see how I like it, and then go from there. I had my eye on an older Magellan GPS315. Would this be a good choice for a first-timer?

As I understand, the GPS315 is accurate to within 0.01" or approximately 60 feet. Is this true? Also, I understand that it may require a firmware upgrade, correct? Anything you can tell me about this particular model would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, and have a good day, everyone!

Hi Everyone;

I have a good friend who geocaches and it sounds like loads of fun. I'd like to try it myself, have never done it before, don't own a GPS, and am not too bright. I'd like to buy an inexpensive, used GPS (off of e-Bay perhaps) to see how I like it, and then go from there. I had my eye on an older Magellan GPS315. Would this be a good choice for a first-timer?

As I understand, the GPS315 is accurate to within 0.01" or approximately 60 feet. Is this true? Also, I understand that it may require a firmware upgrade, correct? Anything you can tell me about this particular model would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, and have a good day, everyone!

First thing is welcome aboard! Second stop being so hard on yourself a moron doesn't ask questions. I suggest you talk to your good friend who geocaches and ask his/her opinion. For under $100.00 you can an inexpensive gps that will do the job for you and your friend can probably help you as well. Maybe it's a good idea to get something like your friend has so he can teach you. You can also learn alot reading this forum. Chances are someone has asked every question you may have and it's already answered. Be sure to read the FAQ's as they are helpful. If you have questions there is always someone here willing to help. I knew very little when I started here and I have learned more than you can imagine so ask away.

Good Luck,

Ray

Hi, Physics Boy!

You're not a moron. Your user name has PHYSICS in it! PHYSICS. ;)

You can probably pick up a good gps on ebay. A lot of people like Garmins -- they're inexpensive, and the starter models are less than $100 new. A couple of friends I cache with have them and like their simplicity. I have a Lowrance iFinder H2O -- it's waterproof, and has some basic car navigation features, as well.

I've also heard that a lot of people who buy gps units end up selling them because they can't figure out how to make them work right out of the box -- apparently "reading the manual" is a foreign idea for them. Their impatience could be your gain.

I'm very much a newbie -- nothing logged yet, though I've been out with friends and found a few (once the weather warms I'll be out a little more, but I'm a cold-weather wuss). It's great fun because it combines gadget geekery, being outside, and puzzling things out.

Check ebay and buy from a reputable seller. You can tell from the feedback. I purchased a garmin legend with pc data cable for 57 including shipping just about a week ago....it's a mapping gps...i had a magellan 315 at one time and the legend is far superior in my opinion..so yes, you can get a gps sufficient for your needs for less than a hundred bucks.

Hello and welcome.

I would suggest looking for Garmin's 'Etrex Summit'. It was my very first GPS, and I really enjoyed it. It currently sells for $215.00, but perhaps you can find a used one on Ebay for $100. I think it's a great starter for those just beginning to geocach. It has an electonic compass and barometer altimiter that the 'Etrex' doesn't have, which currently sells for about $107.00.

Sadly my 'Summit' was stolen when our house was robbed last year, but now I have an excuse to upgrade. <grin>

Edited by GDannyboy

$215 for an Etex Summit? Dude, you must be shopping at Macy's!

They're $134 brand new at Offroute.com and other reputable net dealers. The yellow Etrex is $90.

The Etrex Venture Cx is still the best deal at $179. It's color, auto-routing capable, excellent battery life, and has removable memory. Even if you decide caching is not for you, this little gem can be used in many other facets such as hiking, biking, hunting, fishing, etc.... And the optional mapping software, you will find it invaluable if you do alot of travelling.

I first tried caching with the 315, and the .01 issue (and the fact that I had to thumb-jam the coords in for each cache) made it way more challenging than it needed to be for a newbie. Luckily we found the cache or my family would've immediately lost interest. I did some fiddling with the settings after this experience and was able to get it to go out to .001. Never again used this unit for caching though, as that day I began researching for a new one and ended up spending the $ on a 60CSX...Almost a year later and I'm still happy I made this investment.

I'd recommend that if you're going to spend any money, spend a bit more and get one of the units folks have been recommending in this thread.

I'd recommend that if you're going to spend any money, spend a bit more and get one of the units folks have been recommending in this thread.

While there's obvious merit to this argument, I favor the perspective that physics boy expressed. I think getting a used unit that allows you to get your feet wet will give you the experience to make an informed choice of the model that best fits your needs--once you know enough to identify what those needs are.

After you invest in the GPS of your dreams, you should be able to re-sell the original purchase for close what you paid for it. Think of it as renting a starter unit.

Getting a very popular model like the Garmin 60csx is a fairly safe bet *if* you are reasonably certain you are going to use it enough to justify the cost. But if you find out that GPS/geocaching is more of a passing fad in your life, you risk eating a bigger proportion of your investment.

While there's obvious merit to this argument, I favor the perspective that physics boy expressed. I think getting a used unit that allows you to get your feet wet will give you the experience to make an informed choice of the model that best fits your needs--once you know enough to identify what those needs are.

After you invest in the GPS of your dreams, you should be able to re-sell the original purchase for close what you paid for it. Think of it as renting a starter unit.

Getting a very popular model like the Garmin 60csx is a fairly safe bet *if* you are reasonably certain you are going to use it enough to justify the cost. But if you find out that GPS/geocaching is more of a passing fad in your life, you risk eating a bigger proportion of your investment.

To add to what you're saying, earlier this week a newbe picked up a Vista C for $32, that's one heck of a starter GPSr and I'd be surprised if in six months one couldn't still get more than $32 for it. Or for that matter, use it for many years to come.

Hermit

I thought some of you folks were giving the Magellan 315 a bad rap so I pulled one of mine out (3.15 firmware) to see if my memory was correct. I knew it resolved to 3 decimals and thought it displayed distance down to 1 foot increments. I was happy to see that I was correct. I wonder if some may be confusing it with a 300, 310, Blazer or Pioneer, all of which only resolve to 2 decimals and .01 mile increments. I think that a 315 would be good economical choice to start out with. The only thing you are missing is maps. You can connect to a PC to load waypoints and you’ll have better reception than the older generation Etrex line. You should be able to pick one up for under $50. If you can’t, email me. I would rather spend $50 on a new hobby then find out I don’t like it then spend $600 on a 60CSx, memory, software, etc. and it end up stuffed in a drawer.

Edited by Cacheoholic

I thought some of you folks were giving the Magellan 315 a bad rap so I pulled one of mine out (3.15 firmware) to see if my memory was correct. I knew it resolved to 3 decimals and thought it displayed distance down to 1 foot increments. I was happy to see that I was correct. I wonder if some may be confusing it with a 300, 310, Blazer or Pioneer, all of which only resolve to 2 decimals and .01 mile increments. I think that a 315 would be good economical choice to start out with. The only thing you are missing is maps. You can connect to a PC to load waypoints and you’ll have better reception than the older generation Etrex line. You should be able to pick one up for under $50. If you can’t, email me. I would rather spend $50 on a new hobby then find out I don’t like it then spend $600 on a 60CSx, memory, software, etc. and it end up stuffed in a drawer.

What you say is true, however he can buy a gps with mapping and waas capability for 50 bucks. Why buy a 315? I had a 315 and it was great for it's time. But it is nowhere near an Etrex Legend that he can get for 50 bucks if patient.

A GPS probably won't do a moron much good. Have someone cut a 2x3 into a 5 inch piece, paint it black and put a mirror with some dots on it. For a moron this is very cool.
That's pretty interesting was that the 1st gps you bought or did you build one for yourself? While I feel you meant to be funny please put yourself in another persons shoes before you make a comment like that. Ray Edited by raybonz

Hey! Thanks everyone! This is very informative.

I wasn't aware that the 315 was capable of 0.001' as Fan4 and cacheoholic said. Is this with averaging? To be honest, I'm not sure I care too much about mapping for geocaching. That sort of seems like it would take the fun and adventure out of it as opposed to just having a set of coordinates, and not knowing what you're going to find when you get there. Just my opinion. Being new to this, I could be completely wrong.

Thanks again for the information. Good stuff!

I have a Legend, and while it is a mapping GPS, I've never spent the $$$ to buy maps for it. I never bother with maps while caching, and the Legend is overkill, but it works. A 315 or a yellow eTrex or whatever you can find cheap will do the job just fine. You do want the capability to connect to your PC to send the waypoints, because it's a PITA to do it manually, and you introduce the possibility, no, the probability, of entering a wrong number in the process, which can be extremely frustrating. Start cheap, and you may stay cheap, because the cheap units do the job well enough.