Did Not Find

CSpenceFLY

It depends... did I search long and hard for the cache, only to not find it? I certainly put a DNF on the log, since it alerts the cache owner to the possibility that it may be missing.

Did I only have a few minutes to search the most obvious places? No, I don't log a DNF... I probably didn't find it due to my short hunt.

We tend to be stubborn and don't leave until we find it, or at least until we have given the hunt a GOOD hunt time. The length of time for the hunt depends on the location and other factors, though. I'll admit, we've spent at least an hour looking for a cache in the past before we do find it (and there may be 6 of us hunting for the darn thing!) Micro's hidden in the woods? Forget it... if it isn't in an obvious place, we really don't want to spend an hour or so turning over every rock and leaf to find it. Urban micros (when we do hunt for them) usually get a shorter length of time... we don't want to be real obvious and draw attention to our activity. If there are a lot of muggles around, we MIGHT come back later... and then again, we might not.

Do most of you log DNFs or do you wait till you go back and find it and log it as found?Asking because I have not seen too many DNF logged.

As a courtesy to the owner I post all my DNFs. (Just in case it's missing, etc.) Plus, it actually helps me keep track of ones I wait to go back to (did someone else find it after I DNF'd?).

*Edit: I don't log DNFs if I get to a site and I choose not to look for the cache.

Edited by The Vargman

Do most of you log DNFs or do you wait till you go back and find it and log it as found?Asking because I have not seen too many DNF logged.

As a courtesy to the owner I post all my DNFs. (Just in case it's missing, etc.) Plus, it actually helps me keep track of ones I wait to go back to (did someone else find it after I DNF'd?).

ditto

I have seem to many people use the "Needs Maitenance' log only to go right behind them and find it

HEY MAN! You don't want everybody thinking you are some kind of DWEEB, do you?????

Look at reality.......everybody logging before you....FINDS IT!

Everybody logging after you......FINDS IT!

So....there you are......a BIG FAT......DUHHHHHHHHHHHHH....I CAN'T FIND IT!!

Now how does that make you look, HUH? Like a BIG DWEEB!!

LOL! Just funnin' with ya!! ;)

Check out my logs - the day before yesterday I went 3 for 11 and logged all 8 of my DNFs ;):lol:

I log ALL my DNFs, as they happen. Some caches I have 2 DNFs on. It makes the final smiley for the find even sweeter!

I log all DNFs for myself. That way, I can revisit them to see if someone else had the same problem, or then found it. If they had the same problem, I get this self-righteous feeling of indignation. If they found it, I know I'm lame and have to go out to find it again.

In GSAK I love seeing red in the "LG" column. I take it as a challenge ever since I found a 4-red cache.

HEY MAN! You don't want everybody thinking you are some kind of DWEEB, do you?????

Look at reality.......everybody logging before you....FINDS IT!

Everybody logging after you......FINDS IT!

So....there you are......a BIG FAT......DUHHHHHHHHHHHHH....I CAN'T FIND IT!!

Now how does that make you look, HUH? Like a BIG DWEEB!!

LOL! Just funnin' with ya!! ;)

I think there are some people around here that think that way.Thanks for all of the replies.I have been logging mine as I go

If I couldn't spend a lot of quality time looking for the cache (too many muggles, Mrs. Geoaddict telling me get my butt home, etc.), I won't log a DNF. But if I have spent serious time looking for it, I always log a DNF. It allows me to go back to hopefully log a find later on. As I have gained geocaching experience, I go back and usually find the cache since I am better at discovering what looks slightly out of place.

I try to always log them..I know I've missed a few here or there. As others have stated, if I don't get a chance to actually search I'll just post a note.

I've always guessed that the ratio of DNF's that don't get published to the ones that do is about 3 to 1. No idea really. I might be a tad generous there. ;)

Bret

I would only post a DNF for a cache I was 100% sure was MIA. I have posted one DNF on a cache I that I'm sure is still there. The only reason I posted was to let others know the road conditions (it's winter), I later realized that I should have posted it as a note. If I can't find one but I think it's still there and I believe I may have some useful info for future cachers, I would leave a Note saying so.

I didn't log one (for the first time) last week. After the new GSAK release I must have been messing with the filters, anyway after searching for 20 mins to find a cache that the logs said was easy I found it had been archived in October <_< I'm not sure why I shared that with you as it was pretty embarassing. :anitongue:

I would only post a DNF for a cache I was 100% sure was MIA. I have posted one DNF on a cache I that I'm sure is still there. The only reason I posted was to let others know the road conditions (it's winter), I later realized that I should have posted it as a note. If I can't find one but I think it's still there and I believe I may have some useful info for future cachers, I would leave a Note saying so.

So you tell everyone if you succeed but no one if you fail.

I have been trying to figure out how to deal with DNF's. For my purpose, I think if I got out and reasonably attempted to find it and didn't sign the log ... it's a DNF. If I just drove by, or quickly decided I didn't want to look (for whatever reason: barking dogs, muggles, muggles with barking dogs, muggles with guns, mountain lions .... whatever) I don't think I would log it ... unless something really significant happend that others might enjoy reading about.

Chris

I didn't log one (for the first time) last week. After the new GSAK release I must have been messing with the filters, anyway after searching for 20 mins to find a cache that the logs said was easy I found it had been archived in October :anitongue: I'm not sure why I shared that with you as it was pretty embarassing. <_<

I've done that twice now. I was so emabarrassed and frustrated (with myself) that I came home and scoured the GSAK help forums to find out how to get rid of the caches that had been archived.

By logging a find I am "Telling everyone"? I didn't realize my logs where e-mailed to everyone. <_<

Since there is no "Winner" in this game and we aren't competing against each other, no I don't log my DNF's. I have 2 caches I was unable to find so far if that makes you feel better. The only person that it should matter to is myself, why do you care? Should "Everyone" start caring how many caches you have found and the difficulty of those caches?

Logging a find is something you do to show you found it, to let the owner know it's still there. I look at it as fun whether it's a Find or a DNF. If you feel you have to look at a "Find" as a success, good for you. If a person needs to brag about how many caches they have found then yes they should log DNF's.

Edited by Syndam

A find tells the owner it's there. A DNF could imply there's a problem. As a cache owner, if your cache has 2 or 3 DNFs in a row, you should likely check it out.

If (say) one out of every 5 people who don't find a cache bother to log it, that means those 3 DNFs could easily represent FIFTEEN people not finding your cache. Is that fair to the cache owner?

It's common courtesy.

Edited by Retcon

By logging a find I am "Telling everyone"? I didn't realize my logs where e-mailed to everyone. <_<

Since there is no "Winner" in this game and we aren't competing against each other, no I don't log my DNF's. I have 2 caches I was unable to find so far if that makes you feel better. The only person that it should matter to is myself, why do you care? Should "Everyone" start caring how many caches you have found and the difficulty of those caches?

Logging a find is something you do to show you found it, to let the owner know it's still there. I look at it as fun whether it's a Find or a DNF. If you feel you have to look at a "Find" as a success, good for you. If a person needs to brag about how many caches they have found then yes they should log DNF's.

Easy there Sparky.

A find tells the owner it's there. A DNF could imply there's a problem. As a cache owner, if your cache has 2 or 3 DNFs in a row, you should likely check it out.

If (say) one out of every 5 people who don't find a cache bother to log it, that means those 3 DNFs could easily represent FIFTEEN people not finding your cache. Is that fair to the cache owner?

It's common courtesy.

Kind of my thinking.Lets say the cache owner checks on a cache on November 1st,it's fine but someone sees them put it back and takes it.The next 5 or so people do not log a DNF.This goes on for a month or so.Someone finally logs a DNF but the owner knows he just checked on it and it's been there a long time so he does not worry about it.There could be people looking for it for a long time before they go check on it again.

Telling the truth when you didn't find a cache can be useful information to future cachers. Doesn't matter if the cache is MIA or that you just couldn't find it. It's a DNF (Did Not Find) when you DID NOT FIND the cache! Why is it so hard for some of you to figure this out? <_<

I don't even log all of my finds. <_<

If I've actually searched for the cache and looked in spots where I thought the cache should be, I will log a DNF. Sometime, if something silly or odd happened to me along the way the cause the DNF, I'd log that too. Sometime the entertainment value and looking like a dweeb is well worth it! ;)

Very rearly to I go back and find a previous DNF. Some exceptions are for puzzle caches, stage of a multi, spectacular location or the rumor amoung the locals is that it's a tricky, crafty hide. The DNF is usually the final word for me.

I usually log a DNF if I have had time to do a thorough look. If I am shooed away because of too many muggles, then I do not log a DNF. Oddly, it seems if the previous finders say it is an easy find, that is the one I will DNF! What is an easy find to one can be challenging to another!

DNFs also help the cache owner to determine if the cache has been lost or destroyed.

Have fun,

Outspoken1 <_<

Easy there Sparky.

Make a pointed statement, get a pointed reply.

If you actually read what I wrote, "If I can't find one but I think it's still there and I believe I may have some useful info for future cachers, I would leave a Note saying so", in other words I still might post on the Cache Page, just not list it as a DNF.

If I stop on my way home to check an cache and I have very little time, or it gets dark, or muggles chase me off I should log a DNF so the owner may have to take the time to go check the cache? Why not just post it as a note?

If I stop on my way home to check an cache and I have very little time, or it gets dark, or muggles chase me off I should log a DNF so the owner may have to take the time to go check the cache? Why not just post it as a note?

Could it be because you DID NOT FIND it???

Getting chased off by muggles, it got dark, you had very little time, or you broke a nail are all things that can happen while out on a cache hunt. A DNF frowny is only showing that you didn't find the cache, why you didn't find it is not important. It's easy enough to tell the circumstances for your DNF in the log which lets the cache owner and other finders know what's going on.

I think the log type is called "Didn't find it", not "Cache is Missing".

I log all my DNFs. First off it could be a clue that the cache is missing. If not it could tell the owner and other geocachers that perhaps the cache is a bit harder than it was rated. If as a owner I rate a cache 1 star for diffficulty and I see a few DNFs logged, I know that I should raise the difficulty a bit. On the other hand if I rate it higher for difficulty and don't see any DNFs I will probably lower the difficulty rating, assuming it's easy. Now if people aren't logging their DNFs maybe my original rating was correct, but how am I supposed to know that?

Also, by not logging your DNFs it could take owners longer to make a needed visit to check up on their caches. If I see 2-3 consecutive DNFs on a cache, I'll know that I should get out there to take a look. But if Syndam comes along and doesn't log his DNF because he isn't 100% sure its missing, then Geoaddict searches and doesn't log his DNF because he didn't give it a thorough search, then Markwell comes up empty and logs a DNF, then Team Dubbin visits and doesn't log their DNF because they plan on coming back, as an owner I'll only know about 1 DNF, when in reality there were 4. So by not logging your DNF you are witholding important information from the cache owner and caching community.

Edited by briansnat

I log a DNF on every cache that I don't find. Sure, it's a lot of work going through and posting DNFs for all 300,000+ caches every day, but it has to be done....I mean a DNF is a DNF... :huh:

Seriously though, anytime I seek out a cache, and don't find it, I log a DNF. I also put them on a bookmark list so I have easy access to the cache if I want to go back for another try, and I also receive notification emails from logs appearing on a given cache after I've been there.

In cases where I might drive by and decide against looking for the cache, sometimes I log it as a DNF, sometimes a note....it really just depends on the situation. Other wise, if I get out of the car, and I don't find it, it's logged as a DNF.

Check out my logs - the day before yesterday I went 3 for 11 and logged all 8 of my DNFs :huh::huh:

That's just too funny! I was about to write that I recently set a personal record with 7 DNF's out of 11 trys, but your achievement makes that look pathetic! I try to log all my DNF's but I might miss one sometimes cuz I don't always write a note in the field and I forget where I've been...

I recently had a micro that went missing. A good cache finder had two DNF's on it - the first because it was dark and they decided it wasn't the safest place for a night hunt, the second just a frustrating search. So, I disabled the cache. In comes a DNF - "Yes, we searched for this cache a month ago, and thought it was gone."

Well, if you'd told me that a month ago, I would have checked it out. It might have saved another cacher 60 miles of driving to get to it twice, and an hour or more of fruitless searching.

Don't be afraid to look stupid, I do it all the time.

I log a DNF for every cache I've actually looked for, even briefly. I don't log for caches that were on my list of "ones I might try for today" but I didn't look for because it started sleeting, I was running out of gas, 5000 muggles were having a picnic at the site, I decided I didn't have time to do a 3 mile hike, husband is saying "We still have 200 miles to drive today" as I eye that tank in the park across from the gas station, etc.etc.etc.

I even log DNFs for caches I can see but choose not to retrieve. It's up there! :)

If I genuinely looked for it and didn't find, I log it. That's the definition of a DNF for me. If I go back for it and find it, then I put in a found it log.

This past weekend I got out of my car walked to the approximate location, thought to myself, this is the worst spot for a cache I've seen so far (only been caching for a few months) and it's dangerous, so I left without putting too much effort into it. I didn't log that one at all, since I felt like I aborted the search for my own reasons and not because I didn't find it.