Local clubs

edscott

Can someone explain the logic behind banning a list of regional clubs on this forum? Seems like a great resource.

As usual, people trying to stir up trouble where none exists. :)

I musta missed where someone said the list was banned. A 5 second forum seach turned up several lists, and none seemed to be "banned". This not banned thread looks like the great resource you say doesn't exist.

Can someone explain the logic behind banning a list of regional clubs on this forum? Seems like a great resource.

As usual, people trying to stir up trouble where none exists. :mad:

I musta missed where someone said the list was banned. A 5 second forum seach turned up several lists, and none seemed to be "banned". This not banned thread looks like the great resource you say doesn't exist.

You mean a list that has been locked and dropped from sight that is not up to date or easy to find since it was unpinned? No not banned, but far from a great tool or convient to find for newbies, which is who benefits most from it.

Am glad nothing has changed since 2004. Would hate for those cachers who do use the search function to find that thread, to get something outdated. Nothing like helping keep them as well informed as possible. :)

Edited by pghlooking

As usual, people trying to stir up trouble where none exists. :)

OK unpinned, closed, and buried. Does that mean I can copy the list and repost it as a new thread once a week to keep it on page 1?

As usual, people trying to stir up trouble where none exists. :mad:

You mean a list that has been locked and dropped from sight that is not up to date or easy to find since it was unpinned? No not banned, but far from a great tool or convient to find for newbies, which is who benefits most from it.

Am glad nothing has changed since 2004. Would hate for those cachers who do use the search function to find that thread, to get something outdated. Nothing like helping keep them as well informed as possible. :)

Actually, very little in that thread HAS changed, but like I said, that was just one of MANY threads. The fact that there are dozens of such threads shows that that the OP's stated claim that there is a ban on listing regional clubs is false.

Just a few of many:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=155781

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=153867

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=140425

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=141440

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=97219

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=108373

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=98089

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=97253

Hi there,

I've traded a few messages with Groundspeak and plan on working with them to develop a comprehensive solution across the regional forums for listing local caching organizations. I will get to that as soon as time permits. I have one very large Groundspeak project to finish first. Looking at my calendar and Groundspeak's, I am guessing that we should have something in three weeks or so. In the meantime, thanks for your patience and feel free to discuss any geo-organizations by starting or bumping or replying to a thread. :rolleyes:

As usual, people trying to stir up trouble where none exists. :P

Am glad nothing has changed since 2004. Would hate for those cachers who do use the search function to find that thread, to get something outdated. Nothing like helping keep them as well informed as possible. :P

Actually, very little in that thread HAS changed, but like I said, that was just one of MANY threads. The fact that there are dozens of such threads shows that that the OP's stated claim that there is a ban on listing regional clubs is false.

Just a few of many:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=155781

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=153867

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=140425

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=141440

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=97219

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=108373

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=98089

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=97253

Well since your first thread simply mentions a single club, it does not fit the topic of a listing of regional clubs. I didn't check the rest but the one listing that I am aware of used to be pinned, then was unpinned and closed. The final entry really shows the attitude at the time. Maybe that is changing? I'll be glad to wait the three weeks.

Hi there,

I've traded a few messages with Groundspeak and plan on working with them to develop a comprehensive solution across the regional forums for listing local caching organizations. I will get to that as soon as time permits. I have one very large Groundspeak project to finish first. Looking at my calendar and Groundspeak's, I am guessing that we should have something in three weeks or so. In the meantime, thanks for your patience and feel free to discuss any geo-organizations by starting or bumping or replying to a thread. :ph34r:

Thanks for chiming in Keystone. Now that there has been some kind of information, I'm more than happy to wait 3 or so weeks, since the last thread got locked with out any answers. Keep up the good work!

Haven't forgotten, but also haven't made much progress. The work on the listing guidelines update consumed more time than I expected. Then, there were some well-deserved vacations taken by key Groundspeak personnel. This week and next, I'm quite busy at my paying job, including a business trip next week for which I'm woefully underprepared.

But we'll git 'er done! Thanks for your patience.

Haven't forgotten, but also haven't made much progress. The work on the listing guidelines update consumed more time than I expected. Then, there were some well-deserved vacations taken by key Groundspeak personnel. This week and next, I'm quite busy at my paying job, including a business trip next week for which I'm woefully underprepared.

How about in the meantime just pinning the old thread as a sort of temporary fix till you have more time to devote to the final resolution? Surely that should be acceptable since it would only for a short period of time and will be a step in the right direction as to helping new cachers out.

How about in the meantime just pinning the old thread as a sort of temporary fix till you have more time to devote to the final resolution? Surely that should be acceptable since it would only for a short period of time and will be a step in the right direction as to helping new cachers out.

In the meantime, has anyone bumped the thread mentioned?

In the meantime, has anyone bumped the thread mentioned?

Locked and buried.. that action was what started this thread.

Any word on this? 3 weeks have turned into 6 weeks, not that I am counting. Just hoping this is still being worked on and we are going to have the results sooner than later. The big caching season is coming and would be nice to welcome these new cachers into our groups and teach them the ropes.

<snip>Looking at my calendar and Groundspeak's, I am guessing that we should have something in three weeks or so. <snip>

So where do we stand on this?

Maybe if you don't have the time someone else can compile the list and we can just have it pinned, kinda like how the old thread was. I am sure if you are too busy now to do it, come summer it will be even worse with the heavy caching season coming.

<snip>Looking at my calendar and Groundspeak's, I am guessing that we should have something in three weeks or so. <snip>

Maybe if you don't have the time someone else can compile the list and we can just have it pinned, kinda like how the old thread was. I am sure if you are too busy now to do it, come summer it will be even worse with the heavy caching season coming.

:laughing:

arrow-up.jpg

Look!

Workin' on it. :laughing:

Thank you for getting this list up and running again. Just in time for the summer travel season when information on activities in other areas is essential... and in my case retirement... when I promise I will become a serious cacher.

Does that mean you'll finally buy a GPS?

Thank you for getting this list up and running again. Just in time for the summer travel season when information on activities in other areas is essential... and in my case retirement... when I promise I will become a serious cacher.

Sir, you are most welcome, and I thank you for your patience. I wound up coordinating a project for a consistent approach for listing local geocaching organizations in all of the US regional forums. Our Canadian friends joined in, too! You'll see identical threads in each US forum. With all the people I needed to talk with to implement this approach, I'm not surprised it took so long. But it's finished.

Oh, and enjoy your summer caching travels!!!

THANK YOU for the best laugh I've had in quite some time, and for proving the point I was making earlier about nobody noticing pinned threads. I would have thought, however, that due to your interest in the subject, you would have been among the first to notice. Anyhow, it's there now.

That is what took two month to get together? You have got to be kidding me. I saw it but couldn't believe my eyes that it is nothing more than a basic thread that could have been done months ago. What exactly was it that took all this time to create? At least the old one that you had pinned and closed was much cleaner than a basic thread of this type. As it is now you have everything scattered in any sort of way with no organization. I guess I shouldn't have expected so much in such a short period of time.

Edited by pghlooking

It's been nearly 2 1/2 years since we've had any pinned thread about geocaching organizations in this forum. Many of us are very happy that we again have a central place to post them again! Why the nasty critique, pgh? :D

Granted, it would be great to have all groups listed in the top post - but Keystone never said that wouldn't occur. Maybe when there are more links in the thread or when he has the time or if someone asks NICELY, he would consider granting that request. Even if he doesn't want to put them all in one post, so what?! Folks can't scroll through the posts to see what's around?

I would like to add my thanks to Keystone for getting whatever issue resolved that allows us to have a pinned thread that provides folks with information on how to get in touch with local geocaching groups. Our group certainly appreciates your efforts.

~ Mother Hen

Does that mean you'll finally buy a GPS?

Nahhh... learnin' to run one of those gadgets at my age would just be too darn difficult. I'll stick to what I know how to do.

top.jpg

TRIGO is a (dis)organization of geocaching enthusiasts in southwestern Pennsylvania. We’re not sure what TRIGO stands for but we think that it could be an acronym for Three Rivers Informal Geocaching Organization or something like that. The purpose of this group is to coordinate events and promote geocaching in our area. There are no dues or anything like that because we want to keep this club free and fun. [attack against other organizations removed by mod] TRIGO does not exclude anybody or their opinions from our forum. Anyone interested in geocaching in SWPA can join us in our disorganization.

- Phil Trigo, Virtual President.

Tried to join the TRIGO Yahoo group and was denied membership, guess it is not open to everyone, even after stating this ""TRIGO does not exclude anybody""

Max Cacher

Geocaching.com Volunteer Cache Reviewer // Moderator

Denial email below:

Hello,

Your request to join the tri-go group was not approved.

The moderator of each Yahoo! group chooses whether to restrict

membership in the group. Moderators who choose to restrict

membership also choose whom to admit.

Please note that this decision is final and that Yahoo! Groups

does not control group membership.

top.jpg

TRIGO is a (dis)organization of geocaching enthusiasts in southwestern Pennsylvania. We’re not sure what TRIGO stands for but we think that it could be an acronym for Three Rivers Informal Geocaching Organization or something like that. The purpose of this group is to coordinate events and promote geocaching in our area. There are no dues or anything like that because we want to keep this club free and fun. [attack against other organizations removed by mod] TRIGO does not exclude anybody or their opinions from our forum. Anyone interested in geocaching in SWPA can join us in our disorganization.

- Phil Trigo, Virtual President.

I'm a proud member of TRIGO!! Phil doesn't discriminate!

You should try to join again!! Sometimes Phil has a bad day!

TeamOVCacher