Info about placing Multi-Cache

Hello there!

We are relatively new to Geocaching and have placed one traditional style cache thus far. I (think) that I have a great idea for a multi-cache series involving a theme but I am hesitant about placement and containers.

My question(s) is this... I have a series of clues (micros) that I would like to place which would lead up to one traditional ammo style container.

1. How many clues (micros) are considered too many when doing a multi-placement? (I was going to have 5 leading up to the final -- all would be placed within a 5 mile radius of each other, each being placed in an area relative to the theme of the series.)

2. Do the micros leading up to the final have to have a log? (Considering that I'm using them as clues to provide coordinates to the final, which would obviously have a log)

3. Are multi-caches considered too time intensive to be fun?

Thanks for everyone's advice and input in advance.

Regards,

Team Irish Rover

1. How many clues (micros) are considered too many when doing a multi-placement? (I was going to have 5 leading up to the final -- all would be placed within a 5 mile radius of each other, each being placed in an area relative to the theme of the series.)

That amount and that distance would keep me away from doing it.

2. Do the micros leading up to the final have to have a log? (Considering that I'm using them as clues to provide coordinates to the final, which would obviously have a log)

No

It just depends on how many stages there is to it and how far the traveling is. I will only do multi's if every stage is within walking distance and limited to 3 stages.

1) The more steps the more people will avoid your cache. The less, the more finds you get. Add steps to suite your taste.

2) Each stage can have a lot, and swag, and doesn't have to be a micro, or even a container.

3) See #1. A well thought out one can be a lot of fun...steps for the sake of steps isn't fun for me. If I'm traveling I don't do multi caches.

Considering the distances between your caches, I think it might be better to make this 6 caches : a series of 5 traditional caches with a theme, and a bonus "unknown" 6th cache (where you need information from the 5 other caches to have the coordinates of the 6th).

When people suggest doing such a series of caches in a small area or on one trail, reviewers will usually suggest turning it into a multi cache. But with a 5 miles radius, a series might be better than a multi-cache (maybe you could send an e-mail to your reviewer for some input before you do all the work).

A five mile long multi-cache could also work, of course, especially if it can be done on a bike. If it's in a "walking only" area, it will get fewer visits I think.

I agree with the red-haired witch (let that not reflect my opinion of your personality but simply my reference to your nickname) - multiple traditionals if driving is involved; a true multi cache, preferably only if it can be done within walking distance.

And I'd also qualify that a multi should have sufficient reason for each stage - I much prefer multi's that bring you to various points of interest (ie. a cool tree, a great lookout, an interesting rock formation, around the loop of a trail, etc.) rather than multi's that exist simply for the purpose of being a multi (and the associated challenge), like Renegade Knight mentioned.

As for number of stages - well, there are multi's with 13, 25, 50 stages in them - but the more stages the more appropriate it is to have each as an individually loggable cache. As long as there is a value to each stage, I don't care how many stages there are (though I must admit, I prefer traditionals in most cases).

Edited by duhgee

And I'd also qualify that a multi should have sufficient reason for each stage - I much prefer multi's that bring you to various points of interest (ie. a cool tree, a great lookout, an interesting rock formation, around the loop of a trail, etc.) rather than multi's that exist simply for the purpose of being a multi (and the associated challenge), like Renegade Knight mentioned.

I guess I should have mentioned that this would be 4/5 urban cache, 1/5 woodsy cache. The first four parts would be walkable or bikeable but the final would be a bit further out. The lead up caches will highlight interesting spots in a funky little town that is well known locally. (Many folks may not know about these highlighted spots, even if they know the city)

My main concern is not to place a series that will be poorly reviewed or that others think is not enjoyable for whatever reason. (I don't take scathing criticism well)

Thanks again for everyone's input. Have a great weekend.

Hello there!

We are relatively new to Geocaching and have placed one traditional style cache thus far. I (think) that I have a great idea for a multi-cache series involving a theme but I am hesitant about placement and containers.

My question(s) is this... I have a series of clues (micros) that I would like to place which would lead up to one traditional ammo style container.

Thanks for everyone's advice and input in advance.

Regards,

Team Irish Rover

Do a search on goecaching.com for "beefies". In my opinion that's the way to do a multi cache, I plan on doing this one as soon as the weather warms up a little.

Since this is a multi-cache thread, I'd thought I ask: Is this a Multi-Cache?

I placed the first cache, it has a log and note inside providing coordinates to the second cache locale but not the actual cache. A photo which is DLed from GeoCache.com is needed. From the photo location, I will have a bearing and distance to the actual second cache which also has a log.

The reviewer said I needed to supply the coordinates of the second cache, which I course destroyes the puzzle.

If this is not a multi-cache, what should it be listed as?

Thanks

Hermit

My main concern is not to place a series that will be poorly reviewed or that others think is not enjoyable for whatever reason. (I don't take scathing criticism well)

Well you already have a thoughts from a few people about this multi <_<

Well, I'm going to do my best to place these properly and thoughtfully. If someone isn't interested, I'll just hope and assume that they can read the description and choose not to do it. That way no one will have to leave nasty, unnecessary comments. Good grief.

I guess I should have mentioned that this would be 4/5 urban cache, 1/5 woodsy cache. The first four parts would be walkable or bikeable but the final would be a bit further out. The lead up caches will highlight interesting spots in a funky little town that is well known locally. (Many folks may not know about these highlighted spots, even if they know the city)

Thanks again for everyone's input. Have a great weekend.

I'm starting to get a sense of what you are doing now. And your idea sounds intriguing.

But I also want to ask this: Do these places have a connection to each other? Do the four parts in town have a connection to the distant final location? In other words, once I have seen the four quirky places in town, will I be anxious to see the final location or irritated that it isn't closer so I can just log the darn thing and be done with the cache?

If the four places in town are just four cool spots with nothing to do with each other, I would make them each a separate cache, and have 1/4th of the coordinates for the fifth cache in each of them.

If the four places in town are connected to each other and to the final location, I'd consider a multi.

Are people going to be grateful you showed them the pattern they hadn't recognized, or are they going to be miffed that you took up all the cool spots in town for one cache? All multis, even great one, probably get fewer visits than regulars. Are you going to be mifffed when 100 people visit the closest film cannister in a hole in a tree for every 5 people who visit your multi?

"I'm starting to get a sense of what you are doing now. And your idea sounds intriguing.

But I also want to ask this: Do these places have a connection to each other? Do the four parts in town have a connection to the distant final location? In other words, once I have seen the four quirky places in town, will I be anxious to see the final location or irritated that it isn't closer so I can just log the darn thing and be done with the cache?

If the four places in town are just four cool spots with nothing to do with each other, I would make them each a separate cache, and have 1/4th of the coordinates for the fifth cache in each of them.

If the four places in town are connected to each other and to the final location, I'd consider a multi.

Are people going to be grateful you showed them the pattern they hadn't recognized, or are they going to be miffed that you took up all the cool spots in town for one cache? All multis, even great one, probably get fewer visits than regulars. Are you going to be mifffed when 100 people visit the closest film cannister in a hole in a tree for every 5 people who visit your multi?"

Thank you for your thoughtful reply. These four lead-ups will be relative to the theme of the cache. I don't think anyone else would use these spots as a spot for micros otherwise, only because it wouldn't make a lot sense to drawer someone's attention to them outside the realm of the theme of the cache. (They are all noteworthy spots for some reason or another but I can't imagine anyone being pissed off that they would have to cross it off their list) One spot is a very unique, um..."clothing" boutique, one is a really cool "mom and pop" pet supply place that carries hard to find items, one is a beautiful outdoor statue, the other I'm still deciding on and the final, as I said, is a dense wooded area that has a nice trail through it -- not many people know about it -- it's a maintained park in an otherwise industrial area that affords great views of a small airport (it's fun to watch the planes take off and land from here).

I'm picturing this multi to be a good "first" multi or a quicker multi than most seasoned (read: jaded) <_< cachers might do. I personally am intrigued by caches that have a theme and that's what I was going for. I can't imagine doing this one as single caches, only because I think it would lose it's "oompf" factor. ;)

I really appreciate your feedback.

Since this is a multi-cache thread, I'd thought I ask: Is this a Multi-Cache?

I placed the first cache, it has a log and note inside providing coordinates to the second cache locale but not the actual cache. A photo which is DLed from GeoCache.com is needed. From the photo location, I will have a bearing and distance to the actual second cache which also has a log.

The reviewer said I needed to supply the coordinates of the second cache, which I course destroyes the puzzle.

If this is not a multi-cache, what should it be listed as?

As no one has addressed your question, I thought I'd try. It sounds like a mystery type cache to me. And I suspect that when your reviewer says "supply the coordinates of the second cache" he/she means supply them TO THE REVIEWER. It's also possible from your description that you're trying to place 2 separate caches (?) - one a traditional, cache at coords, which provides info; "photo which is DLed (whatever DLed means?) from GeoCache.com" to a second bonus ?mystery type.