Highly Creative (and Technical) Hide

ToneBurrow

I'm in the process of completing a pretty sophistaicated mult-cache hide where each container will need to house some electronics. It didn't dawn on me until now that if a muggle happened upon it, it could look a little suspicious in a post-911 world - anyone have any thoughts or advice on this? There are simple caches in general (ammo boxes for sure) that have raised some questions with local authorities around here - which is a really sad state of affairs. :)

I'm in the process of completing a pretty sophistaicated mult-cache hide where each container will need to house some electronics. It didn't dawn on me until now that if a muggle happened upon it, it could look a little suspicious in a post-911 world - anyone have any thoughts or advice on this? There are simple caches in general (ammo boxes for sure) that have raised some questions with local authorities around here - which is a really sad state of affairs. :)

Mark the container clearly as a geocache, also probably not to have exposed wiring or place it in an urban setting.

The goal is to hide caches so muggles don't find them. Caches that are not found by anyone other than cachers don't pose problems.

If by chance a cache is found and reported, the electronics may increase the chance of it being blown up. But the cache or electronics are not a problem any more than the guy who forgets his laptop at the police station only to come back later and find it blown up.

Take it to the Police Department, show them the container, and tell them where you are going to hide it. I think that we should share the locations of all of our geocaches. Coordinates and pictures of the containers and all of the locations. That way they would at least have a file.

Nuwati

Wow! That's over the top!

The name of this cache is going to be Follow the Light - it's a cache that can only be found at night - virtually impossible in the day. The first stage of the cache brings you to a micro that is a small hand-held switching transmitter (like a garage door opener). Pressing the button will energize a laser-like beacon about 300 feet away - a regular-to-large cache loaded with stuff as well as the batteries, beacon, small solar panel, etc. This cache will be stashed in a very rural area that will require some bush whacking to get to, so it should be safe from muggles.

What kind of electronics?

Take a look at this:

abcf5e79-0778-4b34-8426-3539922dd968.jpg

b70d397c-cb1b-47c0-9fe2-a0e7d47e5505.jpg

I think its pretty dadgum cool and even a post-911 moron could not mistake it for a bomb.

I found these pics HERE, Page 29

The name of this cache is going to be Follow the Light - it's a cache that can only be found at night - virtually impossible in the day. The first stage of the cache brings you to a micro that is a small hand-held switching transmitter (like a garage door opener). Pressing the button will energize a laser-like beacon about 300 feet away - a regular-to-large cache loaded with stuff as well as the batteries, beacon, small solar panel, etc. This cache will be stashed in a very rural area that will require some bush whacking to get to, so it should be safe from muggles.

Sounds interesting, I've been trying to set up a cache similar to what your proposing. I've got a whole bunch of IR lights and some model aeroplane servo's... go figure. UV lights are also pretty neat and give a very spooky feel to a night cache.

Sounds really cool!

Maybe I should put some IR glasses in the first stage cache and then have the second stage give out IR light!

What do you think? And what did that reply about me not dealing with government mean? Any thoughts?

Sounds interesting, I've been trying to set up a cache similar to what your proposing. I've got a whole bunch of IR lights and some model aeroplane servo's... go figure. UV lights are also pretty neat and give a very spooky feel to a night cache.

Sounds really cool!

Maybe I should put some IR glasses in the first stage cache and then have the second stage give out IR light!

What do you think? And what did that reply about me not dealing with government mean? Any thoughts?

You won't need IR glasses, cell-phone cameras pick up the IR light very well. Aim your TV remote at your cell phone and record it, it's pretty cool.

Here's night cache that uses IR and remote controls. You might contact the owner and see what challenges he's encountered with the cache.

I did B) , and he took out a 2nd mortgage just to pay for the cost of replacing batteries. :huh:

I've use LED Blinkers in on of my night caches. I replaced the 2 AA batteries with 4 C batteries, I haven't had any problems with batteries dying, but I did have a black bear eat the first cache.

In the longer term, electronics-based puzzles run into the following issues:

- wear and tear (temperature variations, plastic aging, idiots)

- water

- batteries

I received an interesting suggestion for the last one: apparently the batteries which farmers use to power electric fences are cheap and last a long time. I never got round to testing that, though. If anyone has an address (agricultural supply?) I'd be interested.

Sounds really cool!

What do you think?

I don't think I would put on a pair of shared glasses I found in a cache! You don't know who had them on last! :blink:

Other than night vision scopes, and some digital cameras, please provide a link to a pair of IR Glasses that you can "see" Infrared light.

http://www.exo.net/~pauld/activities/astronomy/seeingir.html

Edited by Kit Fox