GPS and Outdoor Activities

HokieBird

I'm planning to take my GPS (60csx) next time I go snow skiing. Any advice on where to carry the unit? Will it maintain a lock inside a backpack? How about tucked in the pocket of a heavy winter coat? Or does the unit need to be strapped on the outside or a backpack?

Any recommendations or experience would be great. Thanks!

Also, please share your experience on where you keep you GPS for other outdoor activities, e.g., kayaking, biking, etc.

Edited by HokieBird
I'm planning to take my GPS (60csx) next time I go snow skiing. Any advice on where to carry the unit? Will it maintain a lock inside a backpack? How about tucked in the pocket of a heavy winter coat? Or does the unit need to be strapped on the outside or a backpack?

Any recommendations or experience would be great. Thanks!

Also, please share your experience on where you keep you GPS for other outdoor activities, e.g., kayaking, biking, etc.

Here's what I use for my Venture Cx:

GPScase1.jpg

GPScase2.jpg

It is shown attached to the shoulder strap of my daypack, I plan to use it for my backpack and summit pack as well.

These links show a similiar case with a 60CSx:

A front view of left strap

Side view, showing 2 points of attachment

Front view, partially out of case

HTH

Hermit

Just make sure if you use the belt clip to be careful.

I was out geocaching and put my 60csx on the clip, got back to the car and my gps was not there.

What happened was when I put the GPS on the clip I didn't push it down hard enough to hear the "click".

From now on I make sure I push it all the way in till it clicks

After going back to the cache site about 400 metres, I finally found it.

If however I was at some other caches, I would be looking to buy a new GPS now.

I don't know where you'll be skiing, but you might check out www.mountaindynamics.com they have maps of some ski areas you can download to your Garmin. I just saw a little ad for them on my gmail account advertising skicaching and had to see what it was about. On the website they advertise series of maps, kind of a cool idea!

Trimble makes a GPS cell phone application called Allsport GPS. It basically keeps track of distance traveled, speed, elevation changes, and calories burned. When you click 'stop' it sends your workout to your personal fitness calendar on the web. It has a ski/snow board mode too. Anyway, I used it skiing at Snowbird in Utah a few weeks ago with my Nextel i580 GPS phone - great fun. This link will show you one of my runs and you can select different types of maps to view it on. I almost hit 35 mph once (fast for me ;) ). Elevation change was over 3,000'. The beauty of this app is that it is so simple. I hit start on the lift and stop at the end of my run - end of story! (ok...it was not a double black diamond run) :lol:

I work for Trimble - FYI. I have several Garmin fitness GPS units but the phone app is the simplest for this kind of stuff.

Skiing Snowbird

Just make sure it not in a position thats going to hurt if/ when you land on it.

I'll be taking my GPS skiing next week and had the same question. Warm and safe for the GPS is an inside chest pocket, but I know of some people that have cracked ribs landing on cell phones that way....

Just make sure it not in a position thats going to hurt if/ when you land on it.

I'll be taking my GPS skiing next week and had the same question. Warm and safe for the GPS is an inside chest pocket, but I know of some people that have cracked ribs landing on cell phones that way....

I just tucked my GPS flip phone inside my beanie cap to track my runs - worked well. I guess I'm lucky I didn't fall on head though.

It will work most anywhere, but the better view of the sky, the better signal it will get. I'd stick it in the upper puoch of your pack or a jacket pocket. The batteries will last longer if it is kept warm.

Actually, if you use Energizer Lithium batteries, you won't have to worry about performance in cold weather so much.....

I take mine skiing frequently (last trip yesterday) and carry it on a lanyard around my neck (the Garmin one) That way I can hang it inside or outside of my coat, depending on how cold or snowy it is. (-30 celsius with the wind chilll here yesterday!) No reception problems.

Edited by DustyWalker