GCUK - GRRRRRRHHHHHHHH

Birders

OK.. we've been through this aggro once? No, twice? No... probably a hundred times. We rarely go near the site but today we wanted to get some information so we tried logging in - usual nonsense... password not recognised (we've been through this many times before). So, again, we click to say we can't remember our password and a new one arrived in a few seconds... so we log in. GREAT - we're in. Now we click "My Profile" and what does it say?

<<You are not authorized to view this resource.

You need to login. >>

We know... the people who do it are violunteers and try their best, etc. Bren has been down that road, running web sites voluntarily and we both run, or have run, email groups, etc., so we truly do appreciate their efforts. BUT, if the thing doesn't work, what is the point? The weird thing is that we can always get into the trigpointing pages without any problems and they're surely run by the same people?

PLEASE, people, make it work......

I apologise for our incompetence, I will try to look into this when I get home from work....

The trigpoint (and the Stats) use a different password system, than the home page/forums but I cant see any problem with your account or the system(s). So if you want to log into the stats use the same username and password as the trigpoint site.

Is anybody else seeing this? I use three PC's to access the site(s) daily and have no problem and looking at the bandwidth usage the site is being used as much if not more than normal...

OK.. we've been through this aggro once? No, twice? No... probably a hundred times. We rarely go near the site but today we wanted to get some information so we tried logging in - usual nonsense... password not recognised (we've been through this many times before). So, again, we click to say we can't remember our password and a new one arrived in a few seconds... so we log in. GREAT - we're in. Now we click "My Profile" and what does it say?

<<You are not authorized to view this resource.

You need to login. >>

We know... the people who do it are violunteers and try their best, etc. Bren has been down that road, running web sites voluntarily and we both run, or have run, email groups, etc., so we truly do appreciate their efforts. BUT, if the thing doesn't work, what is the point? The weird thing is that we can always get into the trigpointing pages without any problems and they're surely run by the same people?

PLEASE, people, make it work......

Just tried it - straight in , no problem, as usual.

I'm using Firefox, and I have it set to log me in automatically. I can't remember ever having a problem getting in.

I've never had a problem accessing the site at home.

I've had some niggles accessing from work, but then I really shouldn't be doing that anyway. The issue was the constant asking me to log in again, but I had assumed this was something to do with the pages being cached (no pun intented).When I forced a page refresh with F5 it worked fine.

T

I had the same problem last year. I would log in and then goto my profile and it would tell me to log in. Logging in again resulted in an ooops screen telling me I was already logged in. This only happened on the laptop though, not on the desktop pc.

The problem was my end. I went into disk cleanup and deleted all the temporary internet files and cookies and have had no problems since. Probably worth a try.

Assuming a caching problem, Shift F5 or Ctrl F5 will clear the cache when reloading, bypassing your local cache.

If this happens regularly and you use Internet Explorer, you may want to check your IE settings. In IE, go to Tools > Internet Options...

Click the circled button, and ensure the circled option is selected.

webcachecw6.jpg

I like the site but after I've logged out I have a pallava getting back in again. I usually use the site for the interactive map and log straight into this bit. I then zoom into the area I want and select the caches I’m interested in. A new window opens with this list but I then have to log in again here in order to do anything useful with the information and then go back to the main page where I started and log into that again. I then get the “errm you appear to be already logged in” routine and it’s okay after that. Quite irritating but there you go. I wouldn’t mind a fix but this service is free and we shouldn’t whinge. I think it’s great for downloading cache info for Memory Map, GPX and TomTom all in one go. I did the IE settings already. I don't use Firefox as the security I use doesn't recognise it.

Evidence Eliminator. Removes 99% of all cookies/trojans etc. In tests 9 out of 10 owners said their caches preferred it.

It is probably something I have done/not done, though. ;)

edit: I can't spell either

Very interesting website they have. I like the political and marketing propaganda.

Quite interesting they say

Did you know... that the government and police are installing black boxes in ISPs to record your Internet surfing and downloads for evidence?

It's true, that software probably won't help stop it though. <_<

Also, it claims to

'destroy in one click: ... All free unallocated space on all hard drives'

I'm not sure they meant that... =/

Now, back to the topic....

Edited by Edgemaster

<<So if you want to log into the stats use the same username and password as the trigpoint site.>>

Thanks Deego, but it doesn't work. We left it for a few days.. and read all the ideas in this thread, most of which we are familiar with - F5, empty cache (do that several times daily), and all and all. Tried to log in just now... got as far as logging on to the main page with the password we were given a few days ago but, when we try to get into our profile nothing works... not the password we were given and not the password we use for trigpointing.. BUT, we get straight into the Trigpointing page OK.

We rarely have any need to access the UKGC site so please don't go to any trouble just for us. It's a bit frustrating as we are avid users of the WWW, accessing and using many, many sites, email groups and forums for a variety of interests. Unfortunately GCUK remains the one which causes us problems which we can't fix. C'est la via...

The only problem I've had with GCUK is with the interactive map.

I don't use Windoze and the version of Firefox on my Debian Linux box has a different dialog box for the script timeout - with only an "OK" button so I don't have the option of telling the script to continue.

While I'm here, whats the difference between (or reason for having) the Interactive map and the "GIS" map?

FF

I don't use Windoze and the version of Firefox on my Debian Linux box has a different dialog box for the script timeout - with only an "OK" button so I don't have the option of telling the script to continue.

While I'm here, whats the difference between (or reason for having) the Interactive map and the "GIS" map?

FF

GIS is more detailed. And more X-platform, I believe. (Java works on more plats than flash does)

Also, I should add http://stats.geocacheuk.com/virtualearth/

Edited by Edgemaster

i don't suppose the people having problems are all using IE 7 are they? it's just i've had no trouble getting in apart from the odd day when it's slow.

lots of problems have been cropping up over the forums since the release of that version... but what the heck do i know my technique for computer repairs involves a large hammer!!

FF

Are you using Flash Player 9 (released Jan 2007). On my Linux system, this gives a Yes and a No box.

This can be downloaded from http://sdc.shockwave.com/shockwave/downloa...rsion=Netscape4

Installation instruction are on the page but if you need any help PM me.

Regards

Phil

i don't suppose the people having problems are all using IE 7 are they? it's just i've had no trouble getting in apart from the odd day when it's slow.

lots of problems have been cropping up over the forums since the release of that version... but what the heck do i know my technique for computer repairs involves a large hammer!!

I am using IE 7 with no issues, it does sometimes run slowly but bar that no issues. :laughing:

I've been trying unsuccessfully to rate the caches that I've visited. In particular GCMJ67 (SNOW WHITE). Every time I click on the 'rate this cache' link in GC.com, then log in to G:UK (and I AM registered), it says I've not found it yet - but I have!

How do I rate caches I've found????? This has been one of my all time favourite series and I'd really like to rate it. :D

Edited by 4 Badgers
I've been trying unsuccessfully to rate the caches that I've visited. In particular GCMJ67 (SNOW WHITE). Every time I click on the 'rate this cache' link in GC.com, then log in to G:UK (and I AM registered), it says I've not found it yet - but I have!

How do I rate caches I've found????? This has been one of my all time favourite series and I'd really like to rate it. :D

IF GC.COM play ball, it can take a day or two for GCUK to catch up. Check the GCUK homepage, and it will say "updated in the last **hours"

You can manually update your finds by entering the GC number in the "Hey I found GC**** but it's not listed" and the page will load to link to GC.COM -Make sure the "logged in" at the top of the page reads geocacheUK, I tried rateing finds last week, and GCUK was not being logged in... But a day or two later was allowed!

G

I have to say I've tried this on numerous different occasions and at different times of day - all to no avail :D

I so want to rate the caches I've visited, but short of sending a 'Contact Us' type email to the G:UK owners, I'm not sure I'll be able to get very far. It's a bit off-putting, but I won't be deterred!

:D And GC.com isn't letting GCUK log in.

Must be an attempt to stop the servers getting too busy on a Friday night! :D

G

This is probably the cause of the noted problem. Bumped an old topic about this problem in the forums there. Hopefully should be fixed soon.

Edit: I'm sure I posted here just before now... :D

Must admit, I don't log out of the site these days, I got the feeling that there's 3 different servers/parts of the site that needed logging into/out of.

GeocacheUK has two sections, the forums and the stats. They work on a different login and password. (Old news)

Have found that IF I do log out of one page, if I go to a bookmarked page I'm still logged in!

GeocacheUK also happens to have 2 domains, geocacheuk.com and guk2.com. Each of these domains will remember your login differently in cookies in your browser. The usage of bookmarks could suggest that you have both domains in the bookmarks.

The solution: edit the bookmarks so they all point to geocacheuk.com or guk2.com

Edited by Edgemaster

Have found that IF I do log out of one page, if I go to a bookmarked page I'm still logged in!

GeocacheUK also happens to have 2 domains, geocacheuk.com and guk2.com. Each of these domains will remember your login differently in cookies in your browser. The usage of bookmarks could suggest that you have both domains in the bookmarks.

The solution: edit the bookmarks so they all point to geocacheuk.com or guk2.com

:D Technical! As I'm the only one to use the comp, it's easier to leave things as they are, and not log out. Seems that as logging in is a bit of a struggle at times, its the best all round! :D

But, thanks for the suggestion.

Seem to recall GC.COM not allowing GUK to log in last Friday?

If thats their cure for "Server Busy" so be it, I just wish they would let GUK and 'us' know. :D

(and that's not meant as a 'dig" at either side!)

G