Cliche hints

SidAndBob

Hollow trees are too often hinted by "In the caching tree"

Don't see it too often here in KY, but in TX, I'd often see URP (unnatural rock pile), or just "rock"

I've got a magnetic cache on a footbridge that was near some cleared brush and trees, and had left the clue "Don't get stumped. No, really, don't." Had to change it after a complaint, though.

Edited by budophylus

"this is too easy for a hint"

"I think I can, I think I can" - it was a can, I was looking for an old train or something

Hey, thanks jackrock! I'm going after that cache today and now I know what to look for!

As to the original post, I've seen some hints that are scrammbled up before encryption so you have to unencrypt AND unscrammble the hint. That can add some time.

Edited by The Pastor & Pastor's Wife

We love original hints.

Here's some of ours...

* GCNPVN

How do you know if the elephant in your refrigerator is a female? By the pink nail polish.

* GCQAQ3

[Hint 1:]

Four Lil Elephants, oh what a sight!

Swinging their trunks from left to right.

Three are followers, and one is the king.

They all walk around in the circus ring.

[Hint 2:]

The elephant has a trunk for a nose,

And up and down is the way it goes.

He wears such a saggy, baggy hide

Do you think two elephants would fit inside?

One of mine.

At top, go up hill and to your left. It's under an evergreen bush.

-

(It's the only evergreen bush in the area.)

Do I win for least cryptic?

sometimes included in the logs

"The hint saved me"

"We would have had a terrible time had we not decrypted the hint"

Edited by BlueDeuce

We love original hints.

Here's some of ours...

* GCNPVN

How do you know if the elephant in your refrigerator is a female? By the pink nail polish.

* GCQAQ3

I found both of those caches I believe and I still dont get em. Oh well. :)

We love original hints.

Here's some of ours...

* GCNPVN

* GCQAQ3

I found both of those caches I believe and I still dont get em. Oh well. :)

Well I get part of the clue but the rest... :)

There are a series of local caches, where the cache title is an anagram of the hint. Sounds cleaver, at first. However, I'm really not going to bother solving anagrams in the field. If I'm going to do that, I'll do it at home, using my computer. Of course, doing that, I've already seen the hint, which spoils the hunt somewhat.

I've got one that I don't really want folks tearing the place up looking for it, so I put the following hint:

"Sit down on the edging directly in front of the Korean Conflict memorial and look between your legs."

I've got a similar hint: Final: Find a comfortable, level rock that overhangs another, to sit on. Let the GPS settle down. Reach between your feet.

But that's because there are a lot of boulders in the area. The hint narrows down the search area.

The clichéd hint I hate is: Not this time. But, I translate all hints before I go hunting. So, the "Hints get easier as you go down the list" is meaningless for me. ;)

There's a 2-stage multi whose first stage is nearby my place, but whose second stage requires a drive of about 50 miles, the last 20 of which is a dirt road in a wildlife management area. The hint on the cache reads something like this:

"To find stage two, take [Major Road A] west to [Major Road B], then go north to the county line, make a U-turn, then go west for 15 miles, then north until you see [this picture in the gallery]."

Kinda sorta takes the fun out of finding stage one, if you ask me.

I've seen something along the lines of "If you can see the tree then you're in the right field" on more than one occassion. I figured which field already - as I've got a GPSr. It was the last few feet I wanted a hint with <_<

Hey wait a minute - you've got me doing it now. These are supposed to be cliched CRYPTIC hints, not ridiculous ones. That's a whole different thread. :anitongue:

I've found "dog speak" to be a pretty easy "hint". It kind of just gives it away - except for the cache I did where the coordinates turned out to be appx. 110 feet off - down a steep hill, and in an area with a ton of fallen trees with loose bark. When I finally found the cache the clue was a simple as I had originally thought. I submitted corrected coordinates and it was MUCH easier for the cachers who followed........

I found one once, and the clue was "Make sure you put the sticks back". Sure enough, when I got to GZ there was a pile of sticks covering an opening in a tree base. I quickly removed the sticks, but no cache was there! I looked around some more, and found it under a bush within 5 feet of me. I made sure I put the sticks back. :rolleyes: