The Geocoin Secret Agent

The Geo-Secret Agent

Yes I agree that kids are the future so how about contacting a local girl scout/boy scout troop and giving them a presentation on geocaching? Then take them on a real live hunt of live caches or place a few temporary caches near where they will be so there isn't a logistics problem of transport.

Yes I agree that kids are the future so how about contacting a local girl scout/boy scout troop and giving them a presentation on geocaching? Then take them on a real live hunt of live caches or place a few temporary caches near where they will be so there isn't a logistics problem of transport.

Well, I do not think that is a good idea.

I have a cache that once was hidden easily. It was found by kids. They signed the log, after trying to burn it, ignited some fireworks in it. Afterwards some of my other caches disappeared totally.

I do not think geocaching is a sport that kids are supposed to learn about on their own, I think the parents should be thaught instead...

Just my 2 cents :unsure:

This is great fun and probably my favorite activity these days!! We (Team Rod & Tod w/KAboom) have had great fun teaching the Girl Scouts from many different areas the joy of caching, some of the girls have even earned patches for their efforts!! The best part about it is that you get to show potential new cachers the fun you have while keeping the youth interested in our great outdoors!! And the looks on their faces when they find their first cache...priceless!! Being contacted through the GC mail system by one of the newb cachers is really a great reward, it means you did your part teaching while keeping it fun so the young will keep interest!

This is something I would encourage everyone to try!! It doesn't have to be the GS/BS either, it could be a local boys or girls club or even a church youth group! Connecting with the young while enjoying yourself...what could be better??

I have a cache that once was hidden easily. It was found by kids. They signed the log, after trying to burn it, ignited some fireworks in it. Afterwards some of my other caches disappeared totally.

I do not think geocaching is a sport that kids are supposed to learn about on their own, I think the parents should be thaught instead...

I respect your position, but think about it like this...those kids likely had no idea what caching was about and were likely already out causing trouble. The cache had nothing to do with their actions, it was just another item to destroy or deface for them. Teaching the parents of these kids might help, but seeing how they act now doesn't enstill confidence in this. Now, imagine those kids had found out about caching and were given the tools needed to enjoy our great sport, do you think they'd be more or less likely to respect caches and nature??

It's all about educating them about nature, giving them something constructive to do with their time and keeping it fun for them so they stay interested.

I respect your position, but think about it like this...those kids likely had no idea what caching was about and were likely already out causing trouble. The cache had nothing to do with their actions, it was just another item to destroy or deface for them. Teaching the parents of these kids might help, but seeing how they act now doesn't enstill confidence in this. Now, imagine those kids had found out about caching and were given the tools needed to enjoy our great sport, do you think they'd be more or less likely to respect caches and nature??

It's all about educating them about nature, giving them something constructive to do with their time and keeping it fun for them so they stay interested.

Well, they were abele to read the instructions and even to acces the website to find the location of the other caches nearby, I guess they knew what this was about.

I had a similar discussion with a cacher nearby, because he was complaining that a few of my caches are not recommended for kids... I just do not think they should do it on their own... If you teach kids that do not respect those things, do you think, they respect recommendations of the kind of "Not recommended for kids"? There should always be an adult with them, and I think that have to be the parents, as you can not be around all the time...

But I think, we should not discuss this here :drama: I respect the meaning of others too, I just try to say, you should think about the consequences too. If there is only one kid hurt, that is one too many...

Well...I have an other thing in my mind, but probably it is too difficult to be done! It will sure help geocaching to be expanded, and probably it will create new geocachers too!

What I was thinking?

I am sure that many of us have friends in other countire, or in places inside our country that do not have any caches! (I do not have friends in non cache areas, but..)

How about to help us a little? :unsure:

We can tell them everything about geocaching, and if they would like to help us place some caches in their place? we can even send them the caches ready to be placed! By that way, geocaching will go to countries that the game is unknown! If we are good, we can turn our friends into geocachers too, so they can spread the game in their place!!!

If they do not have a GPS, they can tell us where they placed the cache, and try to find the coordinates with google map! It will be difficult but....

Today there is so many kids trying to raise themselves that sometimes taking the time with the kids does make a difference in their life. A friend of mine placed her first cache and the neighborhood boys went and took it. She went and talked to the parents and they didn't care but she talked to the boys and explained what it was all about and now they enjoy watching cachers go to it and they help her maintain it. It has never been bothered again. No it isn't always this easy but you know I have found many times if you spend time with the kids, educate the kids and don't give up on them they sometimes do become better people. I am sorry you have had bad luck with your caches. No caching isn't something kids can or should learn on their own but when so many kids are raising themselves, I think geocachers could make a difference to them. So that could be a mission if every cacher took just one child and taught them about caching, took them caching and even helped them to place a cache look at the difference it could make in the world.

Comment - Caching for and with kids is wonderful. EMSDanel, who incidently is a coiner ~ but doesn't frequent these forums, has put out caches specifically to teach and entice kids. He has a GeoZoo (GC155Q8 - check out the photo and it isn't a kid) with 6 caches (each an animal of some kind hidden differently) plus a night cache. In addition - he has a Snipe Hunt Series - which is similar - GC13HY5 - was the first hide.

Can I nominate? - EMSDanel as a Neo-Agent with the great ideas he has utilitzed to put out hides kids would love? And hides where one can teach with a GPS in easy terrain.

Idea - Working with Land Owners to gain permission for hides instead of just putting them out. My Hirundo caches, I worked over a year with the caretakers, to gain permission through the Land Trustees. The caretakers were friends through the field of Private Investigation (yes, I used to be a Licensed PI in Maine). After the discovery of an unpermitted Letterbox on the property, it opened a door. We now have permission for caches. They will be placed with the caretakers at the placers side and the playground (as long as cachers follow the rules) is 2,700 acres of a wildlife preserve with forest, field, brooks, many animals, birds and more. Work with landowers to gain permission for your caches - and then advertise what you have done.

Idea - Another coalition which may be built is with local conservation clubs and conservation/Scout camps. Offer your services to lead an expedition, hide some fun "non-published caches" and teach on their venue. Do a talk for a club.

Idea - Offer your services to teach the use of a GPS to "mark" a coordinate, utilize tracks, etc. to your local fire and rescue department - many of them have GPSrs to identify location for LifeFlight services yet have no idea how to use them.

Already suggested to become part of a speakers bureau for your library and in our area our Audubon Society has caches on their land and they enjoy the help of cachers.

Thank you GSA for your thoughtful consideration of all the good ideas! Regardless of whether we win - we need to make them happen!

Today there is so many kids trying to raise themselves that sometimes taking the time with the kids does make a difference in their life. A friend of mine placed her first cache and the neighborhood boys went and took it. She went and talked to the parents and they didn't care but she talked to the boys and explained what it was all about and now they enjoy watching cachers go to it and they help her maintain it. It has never been bothered again. No it isn't always this easy but you know I have found many times if you spend time with the kids, educate the kids and don't give up on them they sometimes do become better people. I am sorry you have had bad luck with your caches. No caching isn't something kids can or should learn on their own but when so many kids are raising themselves, I think geocachers could make a difference to them. So that could be a mission if every cacher took just one child and taught them about caching, took them caching and even helped them to place a cache look at the difference it could make in the world.

Agree with my fellow Maine cacher. It takes a village to raise a child! If you have an opportunity to enter a child's life and make a difference, please - do so! Children are sponges for knowledge.

If they are outside enough to muggle a cache, they might be interested to combine a techno/techie thing to being outdoors and having a good time vs doing vandalism. Give them a job and some responsibility to be important somewhere and with someone in this World. Children need love, attention and hopefully some praise.

If they don't get it at home - they will seek it in other ways and vandalism is one way. Whisk these kids up, if you can identify and find them and teach them. There are so many good lessons in caching. CITO, trade even/trade up, be responsible for what you do (log, replacing container, reporting, etc.), Events where you get interaction with folks.........and so much more.

When I recently spoke at my library - the kids were more excited than the adults ~ as we talked about the whole adventure. The children motivated the adults and a couple of the families have bought inexpensive GPSrs and been out caching. That is what it is about and these family had been sitting in front of a TV.

My kids grew up showing, raising and breeding dogs - sort of the same thing but some slightly different lessons. We drove to dog shows with paper maps (they were reading those at 8 & 11), they were responsible to log food eaten, times puppies were born, birth weights and wins at shows. Trips were taken and the kids helped with mapping the route, budgeting and the camping experience. There is no question - the kids who were swept up by neighbors and became "dog show kids" are probably better young adults today for it all. Many of those were friends of my kids on the road.

Mentoring in good things is important. Teaching responsibility through action.

Thanks for sharing the story Maine Family - a good one!

This is why I take my 4 year old with me as much as possible. She don't mind going either. There is much that can be learned through geocaching. The GSA's mission has really brought some good thoughts out on this subject of kids and caching. Thanks GSA. You have benefited geocaching by getting us to talk about what is important. You should give yourself a coin. hehe

On July 8th I was notified that I was chosen as an agent and the coin would be shipped the next day. I'm pretty patient but was getting a bit concerned that the coin may have been intercepted by Dr. Evil or one of his henchmen.

Several times I've typed up an e-mail to send to our boss but each time I decided to wait just a little longer.

It Arrived Today.

It had a cancellation stamp from Kansas, California and another from Wisconsin. It safely arrived in Illinois on July 31. My address is very clearly and correctly printed on the package. This coin has been on several secret missions of its own without a clue why. No handwriting forwarding it to a different post office. It is now safely locked in a box just in case it gets called to another secret mission.

THANKS for the coin, I'm not sure I could have waited much longer to see this coin.

If the mission is not over yet, shall I make a third post for it?

It is a completely crazy idea, but it might work!

We can start making jokes with geocaching and geocachers! We can even change some old ones, by puting instead of "there were 3 guys", something like "there were 3 geocachers"!!!

I hope the jokes will not be offensive for Groundspeak or geocaching, but funny ones! (we can even make jokes from our geocaching stories, logs etc!!)! I had a day like that during geocaching, that it is a joke (even if it is completely true story), just like that!!

By that way, geocaching will be famous! If someone doesn't understand or doesn't know what geocaching is, we can explain him, and why not take him with us one day!

When he will say the joke, he will have to explain what geocaching is... the others too.... it is a chain!!!

As I said, it is a completely crazy idea, but... :D

MISSION:

Make a suggestion. I want a suggestion for a top notch mission. CRITERIA: The mission must do something good for geocaching as a (our) hobby or promote geocaching in a positive way.

I will review all of the suggestions Monday.

This is the mission if you choose to accept it. To the victor goes a V2 GSA Geocoin. Good Luck.

Open to all perspective agents, even those wishing to become double agents.

WOW! This is still going on. Odd for the boss to extend it so long. Maybe we haven't nailed the perfect answer to the mission yet. Agents, keep sending the ideas in! My latest idea would be to make a video about goecaching (funny, informational, etc.) and post it on that TUBE site. Then post a link to it in the forurm and who ever has the best video wins.

:huh:

How about if everyone who is a secret agent already (as long as you own at least 1 agent coin) writes down a mision and places it in an envelope and then drops it in the next cache they find for someone to pick up. If they choose to do the mission and they complete it they get to contact the secret agent for a coin but they have to be able to prove they completed the mission somehow and of the course they have to say which agent gave them the mission of which all the necessary information would have to be placed in the envelope. Hope this makes sense?

There have been some very good missions suggested so far and some of these may be put to work at a later date however right now I decided to start a new mission.

MISSION: OPEN TO ALL for a GSA V3 Gold.

Pick your favorite charity. Post here why you have chosen this charity as your favorite in 200 words or less. Please also include in your write up how you intend to use this GSA V3 Coin to benefit this charity.

This is the mission if you choose to accept it.

There have been some very good missions suggested so far and some of these may be put to work at a later date however right now I decided to start a new mission.

Pick your favorite charity. Post here why you have chosen this charity as your favorite in 200 words or less. Please also include in your write up how you intend to use this GSA V3 Coin to benefit this charity.

Though the last mission ended with mixed results Agent Koolbrez has accepted the next misson. I will make my plan and post when complete. :D

American Cancer Society.

While I have a few favorite charities, right now with cancer touching so closely to my heart, I would have to say the American Cancer Society tops my list. Cancer, just the word makes me sad! I would love to see this nasty scourge erased from our lives.

My use for this coin: I'd add tracking numbers to this coin (TB tag) so I could give it the mission to raise awareness of the need for research into how to find a cure and end this monster's reign of terror once and for all! I'd also stress that EVERYONE should be tested...get a check-up! I'd not send the coin out as it wouldn't last long out there I fear, but I would take it to every event I attend and I'd share it with as many people as I could!

American Cancer Society.

While I have a few favorite charities, right now with cancer touching so closely to my heart, I would have to say the American Cancer Society tops my list. Cancer, just the word makes me sad! I would love to see this nasty scourge erased from our lives.

My use for this coin: I'd add tracking numbers to this coin (TB tag) so I could give it the mission to raise awareness of the need for research into how to find a cure and end this monster's reign of terror once and for all! I'd also stress that EVERYONE should be tested...get a check-up! I'd not send the coin out as it wouldn't last long out there I fear, but I would take it to every event I attend and I'd share it with as many people as I could!

This V3 GSA is already trackable with an icon

The American Diabetes Association

Why? I have a lot of family members who have diabetes Type 1 and Type 2. Chip is one of those people. He has had it since was 18 and he is now in his 40's. He has diabetic neuropathy, he is considered legally blind with extremly poor eyesight, and has had a kidney transplant all from complications for diabetes. Diabetes affects more people now more than ever and causes so many more complications. There needs to be much more research and awareness about it.

How I would use the coin for the cause? I would post in this forum a thread that would let people know they can "Discover" this coin and collect the icon by making a donation to the ADA and sending me proof that they did so and then I would send them the coin number so they could collect the icon. I am also expecting some signature pins in the mail that look like our wooden nickel and are numbered so I would send them one of those for making the donation too. I too think the v3 coin would disappear quickly if it were released for awareness?

OK, My favorite charity is the United Way. This charity touches everyone in our area and the money is kept locally. With the recent floods they have helped tremendously.

Now what to do with the coin. My company that I work for raises $100,000+ yearly through employee contributions and fund raising events then matches these and donates to the United Way. Our yearly Picnic is coming up and I would like to have a Geocaching 101 booth set up. I would run a few caches on the grounds for all to find and recieve a prize if they find it. I would ask local cachers and cachers that I work with to help out. I would raffle the coin and some other goodies off and give all procedes to the United Way and my company would then match this. There are approximately 1400 people attending each year.

This would promote the game, bring local cachers together and show some benefits of getting out and finding caches.

This is my plan.

Koolbrez

American Cancer Society.

This V3 GSA is already trackable with an icon

COOl...that makes it much better since the coin's icon would appear with the name! I'd name it GSA Gold: Mission Cancer Awareness!

Michigan Humane Society.

This organization and others like them do a wonderful service to take animals that are homeless or no longer wanted and try to find new and loving homes for them. They provide low cost veterinary care and micro chipping supported only by donations. Most of my dogs have been rescued from a shelter or a rescue organization. They have been great dogs and deserved a second chance for a good home when they were no longer wanted. I would like to essentially pay it forward to help others find a pet for their family and help these animals find a loving home. In order to deserve to own a v3 coin I would be required to put in at least 50 hours of volunteer service to one of these rescue organizations. Donations of blankets, towels, food, toys and other such items that they use could also be acceptable if volunteer service cannot be arranged.

Oh, there are SO many "favorite" charities out there . . . I would have to pick one that would be heart related but then, diabetes would also fall into that catergory. You know, without the heart, you have nothing and diabetes can wreck havic on it and other vital organs.

Heart desease is also one of those that encompasses other organs.

All in all, I think I would chose Hospice, so one may die with dignity.

I would Not send the coin out there since it more than likely would NOT survive beyond the usual chain of loggers ( you know - the icon tarts :D ) but then they would attend the events that I do, So, they would get to log it that way.

I am thinking at a lot of charity but i think the i nominate: Clinic Clowns .

img_soziales_clownlogo.gif

Laughter Therapy - The Clinic Clowns

Clinic stays are a huge burden psychological burden for children. Clinic clowns try to make the kids’ stay in hospital more pleasant. Clowns visit clinics as clown doctors.

They go from bed to bed, performing tricks and cheer the kids up. They thus treat hospitalized children to a more jovial experience, alleviating their fears and dreads.

Clinic clown visits bring laughter, renewed courage and new energy to the kids’ lives.

Now i most think how the gsa mysteriecoin can help the clinic clowns, but that is difficult.

I love to send the mysteriecoin away with information about the clinic clowns and the bank encount.

[btw in the netherlands is this gironummer 6640]

the clinic clowns work undercover , just like the geocaching secret agent, so i could make there a very cool story from this combination.

Now tell a personal story about the clinic clowns.

My niece lay in the hospital very sick. [kidney problems]

She was then 12 years old.

The clinic clowns came at her bed and she did not like that because she was 12 year and then you don't believe anymore in clowns.

But without she knows, she looked out for there coming, she say i don't like them but when they were there every controle and pain was forgotten.

She could relax and laugh for a moment.

This is way the clinic clowns are so important.

Well, I do not have a special favourite charity, I think there are many charities around which all have an important purpose and are deserving supporters.

That´s why I would dedicate the coin, if I would get it, to all the charities the discoverers of the coin think worth it.

For explanation:

I would take the coin to events and around with me to show people.

In order to be able to log it, they would have to give some money to a charity of their choice.

They would have to add which charity and the amount in their log entry, maybe a link to it too.

I would not want a proof for it though, I would just trust the people they do it. :D

Hello to all!

Wow! that's a mission.... :o And the coin is a V3??? OH!!!!! :D

well....this is what I have in mind!

I do not know a lot about charity organizations etc, and the one I like is not a global one! Similar organizations are in every country...I hope!

I am talking about organizations that are helping children!!! Children that were abused (in body or in sowl), were treated badly, children that their parents are not good parents... children that they are missing (they are searching them)....

This organizations helps children that passed "difficult times", give them support and courage, giving them their child years back!

If you know that a child is in bad hands (you know what I mean), then you can call them and they act!

An organization like that is the "Χαμόγελο του Παιδιού" in Greece! At least this is the one I know!

A child that was dying, had the dream of that organization! an organization to help other children! When he was asked what he wanted the most, he asked for that! His name was Antreas! He was 10 years old! what he wrote? He wrote that there are children out there, on the streets that do not smile! They do not smile because they do not have money, they do not have toys to play, do not have food to eat, some do not even have parents!! So think of these words, unite and help these kids, no matter the race, no mater their color, and give what we can to them so they all can smile! That is why the name of the organization is like that! When you translate it, it means... "the smile of the child"! The organization was created, but little Antreas was not with us anymore! I think he didn't see his dream come true! the organization is cooperating with other similar organizations to protect children of the brutality of our days...!

In their site thay have photos of missing children, and I think they are not only from Greece!

Now...about the coin, I do not know if I can do that, meanning if I am am breaking any law of Groundspeak, but I would use this coin for the same reason! I wouldn't let it travell, just because it will get lost almost immediatelly, but I would create it's travelling page with addresses, emails, telephones etc about this organization, and what is doing (helping children)!

If someone would like to add info, (addresses, emails, telephones etc), of similar organizations in his country, state etc, he could write a note or a discover, by giving these info!

the only problem is how they will do that! Will it be ok with Groundspeak if I wouls send them the tracking number to make the discover, and write the info? It will be for a good reason!!!

Oh, an other thing would be if the page will have the same info (from the same state, city, country) all the time, but...

this page will be used so, is anyone see something strange that has to do with children, sexualy abusement of them etc, to know where to call!!!

Well....that's my thought! :D I do not know if it will work, if Ihave visitors, if anyone will see it etc, if it will be ok with Groundspeak, but I believe it will worth it! :D

Most of the charity my wife and I do is personal ie not public. My wife and I do go on yearly missions trips. Been to africa but mostly we go to south American countries ie Brazil, Peru, Columbia etc usually there because it is cheaper since we usually Pay our own way. We have gone with church groups in the past, but more recently My wifes doctors office puts together two trips a year, where a Doctor and a couple Nurses go along with someone to run the pharmecy (like me). I would not probably have a use for the secrete agent on one of these trips as they are alot of work, fun too, and sad. Some people just do not live well. So I guess I will not be involved in this mission.

I am enjoying reading the responses.

Congrats to the winner, well done!! Many great charities named here, some top my list!

Great mission GSA, THANKS for this one and all the missions you've put on, it's been great fun reading them and seeing what will happen next! Lots of fun here, it helps to bring a smile to my face!

Well done my friend, well done!! S.A. Roddy awaiting the next mission!

OK, My favorite charity is the United Way. This charity touches everyone in our area and the money is kept locally. With the recent floods they have helped tremendously.

Now what to do with the coin. My company that I work for raises $100,000+ yearly through employee contributions and fund raising events then matches these and donates to the United Way. Our yearly Picnic is coming up and I would like to have a Geocaching 101 booth set up. I would run a few caches on the grounds for all to find and recieve a prize if they find it. I would ask local cachers and cachers that I work with to help out. I would raffle the coin and some other goodies off and give all procedes to the United Way and my company would then match this. There are approximately 1400 people attending each year.

This would promote the game, bring local cachers together and show some benefits of getting out and finding caches.

This is my plan.

Koolbrez

WhooooooooHooooooooo!

Double agent status now.

I'm sure it was hard (since there were some great charities and ideas) for the GSA to pick.

I will be honored to carry out this plan and I will share the results for all to see.

My Picnic is Oct 6th and preperations are underway.

Double Agent Koolbrez

This is my plan.

Koolbrez

WhooooooooHooooooooo!

Double agent status now.

I'm sure it was hard (since there were some great charities and ideas) for the GSA to pick.

I will be honored to carry out this plan and I will share the results for all to see.

My Picnic is Oct 6th and preperations are underway.

Double Agent Koolbrez

CONGRTULATIONS - way to go.