The Geocoin Secret Agent

The Geo-Secret Agent

Dardevle, I have Very Super Special Secret Agent Assistant #191 standing by (well, hoovering) ready and willing to assist you in your mission. Given VSSSAA's attributes, perhaps flying a reconnaissance mission would provide valuable information? Awaiting orders....

IMG.jpg

WOW what a fab picture, this is by far the best photo I have seen of this coin, no wonder everyone loves it so much.

As for the Geocoin Secret Agent, it just so happens I have an extremely important mission for you, please stand by and wait for further instructions. All leave is cancelled until further notice. You must be combat ready at a moments notice. Over and Out.

WOOHOO ! ! I found this in my mailbox today

IMG_0223.jpg

I was soo supprised when I opened the mailer and found this coin and I almost #&$* myself, I have wanted this coin since I saw one that DresselDragons showed me last year.THANKYOU ! & THANKS AGAIN ! to the wonderfull person that sent me this coin ! I love it and will share it with everyone at all the events I attend :) I know I said it but I have to say it again WOOHOO ! ! ! !

WOOHOO ! ! I found this in my mailbox today

IMG_0223.jpg

I was soo supprised when I opened the mailer and found this coin and I almost #&$* myself, I have wanted this coin since I saw one that DresselDragons showed me last year.THANKYOU ! & THANKS AGAIN ! to the wonderfull person that sent me this coin ! I love it and will share it with everyone at all the events I attend :) I know I said it but I have to say it again WOOHOO ! ! ! !

LOL, I love that enthusiasm! Congratulations on receiving such a great coin! Truly a great gift :) .

I am sorry to hear that. Thanks for being so generous in the coins you did give out. There are so many great stories that made ready this topics post alot of fun. I am glad that I got to recieve one of your coins and I will always have this coin and remember that it was my first and only mystery coin(so far). :blink: Again, thanks for all the great things you have done for others!!!! And thanks for one of your coins.

After seeing no less than 8 of my gifted coins go to ebay over the past year I have made a hard decision to not make a V2.

For those of you who received one of my coins as a gift or a find, congratulations.

I am very sorry you feel that way. :blink: I wasn't lucky enough to recieve one of these and I am sure that I am not alone. It is ashame some people have to ruin it for the rest of the community. Thank you for sharing you coin with us, and spreading smiles on so many faces. I hate seeing another mystery be finished. On the bright side new mystery coins seem to keep popping up and hopefully they will be around for a while, but it is hard to see such a nice one go. I really like reading the funny stories and seeing the creativity in so many of these geocachers and I hope that will be able to continue!

After seeing no less than 8 of my gifted coins go to ebay over the past year I have made a hard decision to not make a V2.

For those of you who received one of my coins as a gift or a find, congratulations.

Sorry to hear that Geocoin Secret Agent...

Your coin was the first mystery coin I received and that played no small part in the decision to make the Geocaching Jedi coins. Thanks for the great generosity, the hard work and smiles!

I can quite understand your feelings. As an outside *observer* I know how disheartened I am when I see the coins being sold. I can just imagine how it must feel to you.

I can only hope that the generousity of your coins continues through the re-gifting to new recipients.

Thank you for all you've done for the geocoin community and the fun I've had in reading the many happy stories recounted by lucky recipients.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would hope that you would reconsider not making a V2. I think that you've been doing an awesome thing for the geocoin community and it would be a shame to let a couple of bad apples diminish that generousity. I was following a thread about a week back that talked about the selling of mystery coins and I think the overwhelming numbers of people who spoke out against such a practice shows that most would feel the same way if they saw one of their own mystery coins/gifts hit the block. I understand and agree with your frustration, but I would encourage you (if you decided to reconsider) to just not give the people selling your coins a second bite at the apple. I really love the design of V1 and love seeing the posts pop up when someone unexpectedly receives on in the mail.

:o THanks The Geocoin Secret Agent for being so very generous with your mysterycoins, you have made a lot of people very happy :o

secret_agent.jpg

:blink: We are going to miss you :o

I just saw this post and am very sad to hear this. I worried something like this might happen, very sad indeed! I could add plenty here, but most of my thoughts have already been voiced!

I'd like to THANK you for the awesome gift of your coin (yes, I was one of the fortunate) and the gift of such great posts and smiles! It has been an honor to be one of your agents, THANK-YOU for the privilege.

Well done my friend, well done!

I'm sorry to hear it GSA. While I do not have one of your coins it was always something I had hoped for one day - as with many other mystery coins. While I may never have to opportunity now, I can definitely understand your reasons. I thank you and all mystery coiners for their generosity and hope that one day we may see you again.

Saddened to hear this, We loved all the stories. We definately understand why though! Only seen pictures of this coin, but hope Cainrcc brings his to the event so we can see in person. Thanks GSA for all the fun!!

Edited by Frank n Beck

I am sorry to read this.

Do not let yourself drag down by the people selling your coins, I think the people appreaciating your coins and enjoying them are much more.

Well, I hope I will meet someone that has one of those coins, would be great to see it in person someday.

Greetings

Tschakko

I'm very sorry to read this although I completely understand your position. The one last week on ebay I guess was the straw that broke the camels back. :huh: I know that I cherish your coin and have greatly enjoyed reading the stories of the excitement when others found their GSA coin. Thank you for your generosity and I know that if some day you come out of retirement there will be grateul cachers smiling to take on a new mission.......

I am very sorry to hear this and even if I can fully understand your reaction - please don't allow those folks to drag you down (and this is addressed to all mystery coiners)!

With your coins you give so much pleasure and excitement to all of "us out here"! Reading the forums rather quietly (without being able to participate often), all the stories of the mystery coins are one of the highlights in this forum for me (and I truely believe that I'm not alone with this feelings).

I can't express how much I would miss them!

Cheers,

Dirk

WOW! I am really sorry to hear that. I can understand your reason behind this decision as it is sad to see people profit from a gift like this. We still have ours and it is not going anywhere. Thank you for all the great storries!

Sorry to hear that Geocoin Secert Agent. Your gift is safe with me. It will never be on ebay.

The others who have cashed in on your gift really makes me :D !

Hopefully down the road you may change your mind. :D

"?" :D

Geocoin Secret Agent #149 Geocoin - RARE and VHTF! (#120256594688) US $46.65

Someone made something on this one.

I wonder who?

it doesn't really matter who. what matters is the person felt they had to sell it for some reason. and that is not our business to know. whether we agree with their reasons are not important either, but that the reasoning is valid within their paradigm, their view of the world.

that's ok by me.

lara

Thank you for your generosity :D , sorry to hear that a few spoil it for the rest of us, but there are always a couple who don't have any friends and don't like making more. :D

With that kind of reasonings, then we should be ready to kiss all the mystery coins goodbye.

I have kept my opinion to myself on this issue since I sold some of my coins to help correct a situation that arose. What the situation was is known to a select few, and it will stay that way. It is frankly no one's business. Those that truly know me also know that it was NOT an easy decision on my part by any means.

With that being said, I have seen comments in this thread and others dealing with the issue. I truly appreciate those who have considered the person before the coin and I thank you. Quite a few, though, like the above quoted person have truly saddened me.

Why?

In my opinion, it boils down to one word...avarice.

That, my friends, is sad. Is it too much to stop and consider why someone may be selling coins before bemoaning that the mystery coins might not come because of these "selfish" acts?

Likewise, some may talk about those who may sell not wanting to make friends, but what kind of friendship is based on a piece of metal? Any person that puts a piece of metal before another person is no friend at all.

Avarice, greed, materialism, covetousness...

However way you put it, it all stinks.

Edited by Arthur & Trillian

Just remember that not everyone profits off the coin...

You're right here. Not everyone does. All it takes is a few to ruin it for the others.

I cherish mine because it came at a very low time in my life and the GSA was trying to help me.....Maybe in that way I did profit by it in the way he meant for it.

"?" :D

Geocoin Secret Agent #149 Geocoin - RARE and VHTF! (#120256594688) US $46.65

Someone made something on this one.

I wonder who had coin 149?

Well no need to wonder--right?

Thank you for your generosity :D , sorry to hear that a few spoil it for the rest of us, but there are always a couple who don't have any friends and don't like making more. :D

I agree wholeheartedly.

With that kind of reasonings, then we should be ready to kiss all the mystery coins goodbye.

I have kept my opinion to myself on this issue since I sold some of my coins to help correct a situation that arose. What the situation was is known to a select few, and it will stay that way. It is frankly no one's business. Those that truly know me also know that it was NOT an easy decision on my part by any means.

With that being said, I have seen comments in this thread and others dealing with the issue. I truly appreciate those who have considered the person before the coin and I thank you. Quite a few, though, like the above quoted person have truly saddened me.

Why?

That, my friends, is sad. Is it too much to stop and consider why someone may be selling coins before bemoaning that the mystery coins might not come because of these "selfish" acts?

Likewise, some may talk about those who may sell not wanting to make friends, but what kind of friendship is based on a piece of metal? Any person that puts a piece of metal before another person is no friend at all.

I'm sorry that I sadden you, that wasn't my intent.

Danke für das Gift.

"Thanks for the gift."

that is not logical from what i said. if the mystery coin giver is so upset that people have to sell their coins, then perhaps it not a good idea for them to give.

a true gift asks nothing in return. a big company who wants publicity for their charity is not in it for the charity but what it makes them look like.

it is a coin. and as A&T said it is not more important than the person and the person's reasons for having to sell.

and without walking a mile in that person's moccasins then you can not know the impetus of the sale.

the giving of the coin should be enough. not what or how you expect the receiver to act. again, if the mystery giver is so upset at the sales, the perhaps they shouldn't be giving.

back to my original thought: ALL points of view are valid. one is not right or wrong in this case, it is simply that we all have different paradigms and our actions are valid within that. it is up to others to understand that while they might not agree with an action, they have to except that the actor finds reasons for his actions.

one recipient may treasure a gift coin above all their other possessions and take it to their grave. that's ok!

other's may say, i gotta have the money, for whatever reason, and sell the coin. that's ok too!

philosophy 101

lara

Edited by RedShoesGirl

:lol: THanks The Geocoin Secret Agent for being so very generous with your mysterycoins, you have made a lot of people very happy :D

secret_agent.jpg

:D We are going to miss you :D

As I was lucky enough to get 2 of these beauties I have to second this sentiment.

As much as I understand that it only takes a few bad apples to spoil the fun perhaps v2 can come with a request/demand that it not be sold but given away or traded.

Why?

You just don't get it, do you?

There are people clamouring to be noticed and to be gifted so they can feel special at having received a mystery coin from a total stranger. That feeling is worth more that all the pieces of silver you can stuff in a money bag. And yet for a few miserly dollars someone just tossed that beautiful and generous gift into the mediocrity of commercial interests.

GSA isn't the only one. Didn't GCF (Geocoinfairy) make a similar decision after seeing his/her gifts on the auction block?

:D THanks The Geocoin Secret Agent for being so very generous with your mysterycoins, you have made a lot of people very happy :D

secret_agent.jpg

:lol: We are going to miss you :lol:

As I was lucky enough to get 2 of these beauties I have to second this sentiment.

As much as I understand that it only takes a few bad apples to spoil the fun perhaps v2 can come with a request/demand that it not be sold but given away or traded.

Or maybe GSA could make a V2 but trackable like moun10bike and own them all himself that way he could delete logs :D Just a thought! It may not keep them from being sold but it may help :o

There are people clamouring to be noticed and to be gifted so they can feel special at having received a mystery coin from a total stranger. That feeling is worth more that all the pieces of silver you can stuff in a money bag. And yet for a few miserly dollars someone just tossed that beautiful and generous gift into the mediocrity of commercial interests.

does it not sort of miss the whole point when people beg or clamour to be noticed? i thought it was aa gift for being a good person in this community - does one have to stand up and yell, look at me i want one? how does one value a coin that comes because one begs. how can that make you feel special.

and why even suggest that the giver put more restrictions on their "gifts" than before. they are gifts! what someone does with them is their business. perhaps the giver made a mistake in judging the person's worthiness before giving.

but here is a real thought, what if the seller has no other option? and please do not tell me there are always other options. because sometimes there just is not.

i am more concerned with the wellbeing of the person that feels he must sell.

and if he is just selling because of greed and avarice, then so be it. his choice. not mine and i do not insist that people live their lives according to my rules.

i think if i were a mystery coin person, the last person i would send a coin to is the one that begs the most, clamours the loudest.

judge not lest ye be judged. i think someone famous said that.

rsg

Here's my two cents.... I do know who sold some of the mystery coins on ebay is and I don't think it a huge secret.. I know this person likes his coins as much if not more than the next guy, and that something had to have come up that was pretty important for him to sell them. I don't know what it was .. none of my business, but by golly I'm not gonna hold it against him. I personally gifted several of my coins to many people here in the geocoin forums, and it would do my heart good to know that if they got in a bind and needed some extra funds. that they used something I gave them to help out, and.... I most likely would give them others if need be if I thought it would help. I'm not going to put words in other peoples mouths, but I'm thinking some of these mystery people feel the same. I try to understand other peoples points of view but the basic premise of helping someone in need should be universal IMO.

I feel the same way. My suggestion to anyone who has to sell a mystery coin in the future would be to trade it for coins with good value on ebay. It would take more time (in some cases unfortunately you may not have time) but it would prevent any future disagreements. Personally I would feel proud if my coin helped someone in a predicament but everyone is different. Both points of view are understandable.

secret agent coin giver:

please, continue to distribute coins if it pleases you. try not to let your emotions be controlled by what happens to your gift. the joy is in the giving. after that, it ain't up to you any longer.

it is the same as dropping an unactivated coin in a cache. after it is picked up, it is not mine to worry about any longer. if someone sees it as income, well, go for it. i am not going to worry about it.

lara

but here is a real thought, what if the seller has no other option? and please do not tell me there are always other options. because sometimes there just is not.

rsg

Here is another thought. There ARE other options that have been successfully used in these types of circumstances. Others have put up coins for trade for ones that could be sold on ebay--that has been done all the time. Once the trade is agreed upon the coins could be listed on ebay and then sent out when they are received. Not too much time would be wasted there.

Also others have put coins in the trading thread and sold them. The amount is agreed upon and the money is transferred to the paypal account within hours. Much faster than an auction on ebay.

The person who has sold the recent batch of mystery coins on ebay has frequently made his views known on gift or mystery coins in many other threads. His view is that they are his to do with as he pleases no matter what the ramifications are. That is his view and that of a few others. Its not mine. To each his own. But for the mystery coins the ramifications are far reaching and its really too bad. If I had known they were going on ebay, I might had made a trade offer and then gifted the coin to someone else as I have done in the past.

It's amazing that many people in this so-called "community" think they are the final word in how to dispose of coins that belong to the person holding them.

Think about that last part for a minute.

What right does anyone have to say that another person should or should not do as he or she pleases with their property? What right do they have to question said person about why they wish to dispose of their property?

The answer to both questions is rather simple to anyone that has any common sense: None.