How to abruptly end a cache run

The Jester

I had to do some maintenence on a couple of my caches and thought I'd grab a few of the new ones in the area. As I was heading to my last cache before heading home, this happened:

PICT1602.jpg

Nobody was seriously hurt (I do have one muscle on the side of my neck that I think got pulled) but a lot of damage to both cars. The other (I didn't have camera with, so no picture) lost the driver-side front quarter, bent the bumper out about 30 degrees (see that big gouge in bottom rear of the door?) and torqued the passenger-side quarter out of whack. After all that, I just didn't feel like going after that last cache.

Now the fun has begun. Body shop, doctor, claim adjuster and I-don't-know-what-else... Gee, can I claim a DNF on the cache?????

Edited by The Jester

Ouch! Glad you're more or less OK. That's the important part.

When I think about how many kilometres I've racked up on my car in the past 3+ years since I've been caching, I would have a hard time explaining that I don't commute to work to the government-run insurance corporation in BC if my driving habits were ever audited or I got into an accident -- that virtually all those kilometres are considered "pleasure driving", and not daily driving to work.

I suspect many other cachers watch their odometers spin alarmingly fast as well -- this hobby can really take its toll on our cachemobiles!

Safe driving, all!

Ouch!!! :huh: Good grief, Jester, I truly hope you're okay!

I really think there is bad JuJu out there headed towards our cache-mobiles. One week ago today, I was on my own cache run, putting out new ones, tho. I had gotten one of three finished, when POW . . . well, you can see what happened to my poor geosoob!

384167086_9c52e0f5c2.jpg

I do believe that my poor lil' car saved my life . . . I'm truly grateful to seat belts and airbags. The other guy (85 years old!) crossed Hwy 9 right into my path . . . I don't think he ever saw me, kind of like a kid running into the street only he was in a truck running onto a dangerous highway . . . and there was nothing I could do to avoid hitting him. So now, we are dealing with insurance companies, state patrol, lawyers, doctors, ERs . . . :rolleyes:

So, all you cachers out there, be careful!!!

Edited by FluteFace

Wow, Glad to hear both of you are doing ok, I do I have good news, looks like both of you get to go Shopping for new Geo-Rigs....

Lowrider71

If my wife is complaining about me wanting a 60cx, I don't want to hear what she'll say about me wanting a new geo-mobile. :rolleyes:

Hmm... maybe I should claim the GPSr bought it in the accident? :huh:

from FunnyNose's log: "Oh yea on the way home some dumb %$*&*@ decided to make a left turn in front of us..." :(

Hmmm . . . might have been the same guy who decided to cross the highway in front of me last week!!! He's very luck to be alive -- no airbags and his truck ended up on its side, until passerbys (that weren't much brighter than him) decided to push it back over with him still inside! :huh:

As far a a new geo-rig to replace my old one, check it out: :)

384308464_84f85a1c5f_o.jpg

Four years old, 37000 miles, and room for up to 7 cachers and all their gear. We got really lucky with it -- it was the dealer's loss leader for last weekend and was at least $2000 (or more) under the lowest book (or more in other 'books') we could find. There was also a year's warranty included and 3 more years on the power train.

First geocaching road trip is on Saturday -- Can't wait!!! :):)

Edited by FluteFace

from FunnyNose's log: "Oh yea on the way home some dumb %$*&*@ decided to make a left turn in front of us..." :(

Hmmm . . . might have been the same guy who decided to cross the highway in front of me last week!!! He's very luck to be alive -- no airbags and his truck ended up on its side, until passerbys (that weren't much brighter than him) decided to push it back over with him still inside! :huh:

As far a a new geo-rig to replace my old one, check it out: :)

384308464_84f85a1c5f_o.jpg

Four years old, 37000 miles, and room for up to 7 cachers and all their gear. We got really lucky with it -- it was the dealer's loss leader for last weekend and was at least $2000 (or more) under the lowest book (or more in other 'books') we could find. There was also a year's warranty included and 3 more years on the power train.

First geocaching road trip is on Saturday -- Can't wait!!! :):)

Mine was the a similar buy - the loss leader for a sale, kind of why I don't want to have to hunt for another. Whatever the insurance company would pay won't buy me the same level. So, I'll argue for them to fix, not total it.

This was mine from a few years ago. 90 year old lady in a Ford minivan.

72e23961-8e4a-4233-8ceb-0bc2fb690848.jpg

Ack! Another geriatric driver. ;) It looks like lady might be too nice of a term. It would appear you survived. I hope you weren't hurt. Anybody in the back?

The insurance adjuster was just here looking at my wrecked geosoob -- he quit at $7300. Restraint systems alone were over $2000. He never even got to the point of opening the hood! He did try (just for fun) but couldn't get it open.

My experience was with a very young driver. I wasn't out caching at the time, I was home in bed. What a way to wake up.

Wow... that's one way to get rid of pampas grass!

It is only considered a weed on some continents (Australia apparently <_< ). And of course California (I think it may cause cancer in California). The landscaper says it may be fine just propping it back where it belongs - a process that took every bit of effort by me and my neighbor accomplish. We'll replace it though ;)

Wow... that's one way to get rid of pampas grass!

It is only considered a weed on some continents (Australia apparently <_< ). And of course California (I think it may cause cancer in California). The landscaper says it may be fine just propping it back where it belongs - a process that took every bit of effort by me and my neighbor accomplish. We'll replace it though ;)

Indeed. When I found that link, I was surprised to see that it is not yet considered a noxious weed in CA. It certainly spreads like cancer there - as scotch broom and blackberries do here. It's hard to kill - yours should re-root itself just fine if you put it back right side up.

Indeed. When I found that link, I was surprised to see that it is not yet considered a noxious weed in CA. It certainly spreads like cancer there - as scotch broom and blackberries do here. It's hard to kill - yours should re-root itself just fine if you put it back right side up.

It's not?! I'm surprised, as it's considered such (at least unofficially!) by California native plants folks and the state parks. I had its obnoxiousness and hardiness grilled into me as a parks docent. Scotch broom is also a problem there, but they have poison oak instead of blackberries - a different "leaves of three." :huh:

Leaves of three, let it be

But if it's hairy, it's a berry.

Oh wait....wrong thread. :huh:

Glad no one was seriously hurt -yikes!

My car was totaled in the Tri Cities Cache Machine... that was not fun. And yes, it was a 76 year old man passing me illegally on the left while I was turning left -with my turn signal on!

geocrashing.jpg

It was still early in the day, and we were near the lead of the pack -so about 50 geocachers showed up at the accident scene in the first hour! Thanks to everyone there, we were able to keep on caching with the help of some re-arranging of people and gear... which was just the ticket to cheer me up after that nasty event. 2 1/2 years later, I still get a sore neck/back now and again, but basically back to good health.

Edited by Lookout Lisa

It's not?! I'm surprised, as it's considered such (at least unofficially!) by California native plants folks and the state parks. I had its obnoxiousness and hardiness grilled into me as a parks docent. <snip>

It's considered an invasive weed, officially. It's high up on the noxious list in my book, though!

Here is ours. Memorial day 2005 we set out to find Mapleton Hill Pioneer Trail. A lovely cache in the Oregon Coast Range.

What we found was a college student who didn't see our oncoming van and who made a left turn directly in front of us. We broadsided her and her vehicle flipped onto its top. Wheels and other debris were flying in all directions. I thought for sure one of her tires was going to land in my lap but it didn't. I got the family out of the van and went over to see if the driver was OK. there were so many people stopped that I couldn't help if I wanted so I went to the passenger side of the vehicle which was crushed almost to the top and saw a foot sticking out of the opening that once was a window. I thought " oh no, I've killed someone". Thankfully the foot moved and the driver crawled out on the other side. She was the only passenger. Then I hear her say something like. "Did I kill anyone". She was worrying about the same thing I was. We all walked away with aches and pains but an appreciation for the day. Our van caught on fire under the dash and the fire dept. tore it apart and soaked it down with water to get the fire put out. One of our friends drove by and saw the wreckage and pulled over to rescue us. The cache waited many more months before we were able to get out and find it but find it we did.

c8d4dc49-319d-4172-a7fc-ac6e46c578b8.jpg

I just heard that the estimate is $4000+, and the shop is calling it totalled. I haven't heard from the insurance company yet, I'll see what will happen...

Is that good news or bad news? How are you feeling now that it's been a few days?

Well, I really liked that van and I'm afraid that what they may offer won't get anything equivilant (sp?). I was surprised to find myself a little nervous the first couple of times out on the road watching everything around us. But there doesn't seem to be any lasting harm - to me at least. Looking from the inside, it's a good thing I didn't have a passenger as the door was pushed into the seat. Anyone there would have, at the least, gotten some good bruising from the arm rest.

Darn, now I'm going to have to replace my geo-stickers! Not sure I'll be able to afford those... :P:P

Jester, how are you doing -- discomfort/pain wise?

I'm also wondering which insurance company you have to deal with -- yours or the other guys? We kept no collision insurance on the Soob, so we're dealing with his insurance company. As far as injury is concerned, the experience I had with the other party's insurance company a year or so ago when I was rear-ended was so horrible that we've hired a lawyer so I won't even be speaking with them.

Even tho this recent wreck wasn't my fault, I was worried that I might have killed the other driver, since I was the one who hit him when he got in my way. Thankfully, that wasn't the case. Hopefully, he won't be driving anytime soon -- he may be just too old.

Jester, how are you doing -- discomfort/pain wise?

I'm also wondering which insurance company you have to deal with -- yours or the other guys? We kept no collision insurance on the Soob, so we're dealing with his insurance company. As far as injury is concerned, the experience I had with the other party's insurance company a year or so ago when I was rear-ended was so horrible that we've hired a lawyer so I won't even be speaking with them.

Even tho this recent wreck wasn't my fault, I was worried that I might have killed the other driver, since I was the one who hit him when he got in my way. Thankfully, that wasn't the case. Hopefully, he won't be driving anytime soon -- he may be just too old.

I'm doing OK, it seems the neck was a pulled muscle. His company has been in contact with me, he's admited full responsibility, I've just haven't heard since I found out it was totaled. I've never been involved with this "big" of a crash, so I don't know what to expect with the settlement - that's my only concern, will I get another vehicle from what they pay.

It took a long time, but I've finally replaced the van. I still haven't settled with the insurance company, but needed to get something I could use (while driveable, the old one wasn't worth putting any money into and that was starting to show). Here's the new (to me) ride:

PICT1784.jpg

Now I just have to get all the geo-stickers on it.

Edited by The Jester

It took a long time, but I've finally replaced the van. I still haven't settled with the insurance company, but needed to get something I could use (while driveable, the old one wasn't worth putting any money into and that was starting to show). Here's the new (to me) ride:

PICT1784.jpg

Now I just have to get all the geo-stickers on it.

Not to mention the geo-decorations on the rear window. :unsure:

Our car accident was over a year ago. We totalled the car, and never got a new one, because so far it hasn't been worth it financially. I was sad because it was soon after I got my TFTH personalized license plate for it. The plate has been sitting forlornly in our house ever since. :unsure:

Anyways, it didn't feel like a bad accident at the time, but after a year we're still feeling it. My daughter is thinking about giving up her beloved violin because after she plays it for just a bit, her back hurts so bad she needs to stop or cry. My husband had to get shoulder surgery after a year, and is in recovery right now, which has affected his work.

Well, now. I wasn't trying to be morose, just mentioning it because it's amazing what a seemingly small wreck can do to people. Everyone kept telling us that, but we didn't believe them until later.

Glad to see that you got a new vehicle, Jester. Hope you're feeling good! :o

Our car accident was over a year ago. We totalled the car, and never got a new one, because so far it hasn't been worth it financially. I was sad because it was soon after I got my TFTH personalized license plate for it. The plate has been sitting forlornly in our house ever since. :D

Anyways, it didn't feel like a bad accident at the time, but after a year we're still feeling it. My daughter is thinking about giving up her beloved violin because after she plays it for just a bit, her back hurts so bad she needs to stop or cry. My husband had to get shoulder surgery after a year, and is in recovery right now, which has affected his work.

Well, now. I wasn't trying to be morose, just mentioning it because it's amazing what a seemingly small wreck can do to people. Everyone kept telling us that, but we didn't believe them until later.

Glad to see that you got a new vehicle, Jester. Hope you're feeling good! :huh:

Physically I'm fine. Now if the rain would let up so I could use the new ride for some caching I'd feel a lot better! :D

Now if the rain would let up so I could use the new ride for some caching I'd feel a lot better! :D

You're a Pacific NorthWet native and have to wait until it's dry to go outside? :D

Yep, I'm an OLD native - I'm getting more and more set in my comfortable ways... :o

Caching in the rain isn't as bad as thinking about caching in the rain. Sitting in a warm, dry house it's getting harder and harder to just jump up and go caching when it's wet ourside. :huh:

Oh, come on guys....I'm not buying the whole, "it's always raining over there" thingy. It almost never rains when I'm there. Propaganda, I say.

Are planning on come over here soon? I'd appreciate the dry weather. :huh:

You may be right about the propaganda - years ago there was the "I Love Rain Society" - it's goal was "To rain wash the world, and keep Wonderful Washington's image wet, to discourage crowds." :D

Now if the rain would let up so I could use the new ride for some caching I'd feel a lot better! :ph34r:

You're a Pacific NorthWet native and have to wait until it's dry to go outside? ;)

Get this: The window washer did my house's exterior windows in the rain yesterday! I asked how well that worked, and he said fine, and if they waited till it wasn't raining, they wouldn't have any work.... ;)

Back on topic: I saw Jester's now-former van on its last ride the other day, when I followed him out of my subdivision after he did My Front Yard. I waved and honked, but he was too busy figuring out his next cache location to notice. :huh:

Back on topic: I saw Jester's now-former van on its last ride the other day, when I followed him out of my subdivision after he did My Front Yard. I waved and honked, but he was too busy figuring out his next cache location to notice. :santa:

Hmm... Cache or lady honking horn ... cache or lady honking horn ... Guess which won? :laughing:

Yep, I had to grab a few caches on the way up to the big, used car sale (they also had small, used cars :blink: and even little used cars :santa: ) and Hydnsek's fit the bill.

BTW, the rain held off enough for me to try a couple of caches while getting the insurance swapped to the new ride. ;)

Edited by The Jester
Oh, come on guys....I'm not buying the whole, "it's always raining over there" thingy. It almost never rains when I'm there. Propaganda, I say.

Are planning on come over here soon? I'd appreciate the dry weather. :santa:

You may be right about the propaganda - years ago there was the "I Love Rain Society" - it's goal was "To rain wash the world, and keep Wonderful Washington's image wet, to discourage crowds." :laughing:

Hmmm...I might have a doctor's appointment over there soon....I'll try to bring some dry weather with me. :blink::santa: