Cacher or coin collector?

Birdman-of-liskatraz

I just wondered if to anyone, collecting geocoins was now more important in their lives than Geocaching? or is Geocoin collecting a nice "sideline" to your caching activities?

It just seems from reading some of the threads in this forum that Geocaching was taking a backseat to coin collecting.

I'd be interested to hear people opinions. :rolleyes:

Edited by Birdman-of-liskatraz

Geocaching is much more fun to me than collecting geocoins. (I'm definately more adicted to caching - I had 31 finds on a recent business trip. When I wasn't meeting I was caching - in single digit temps and snow) However, it is fun to activate geocoins, drop them in caches and follow their travels.

If geocoins were to dissappear tomorrow - I'd just activate more traditional TBs, have more money and keep on caching!

Geocaching is ranked higher, but right now I've been taking a break because I was a little burnt out on caching.

I cached pretty hard and regularly to break 3000. Once that goal was accomplished, I've kind of taken it easy as far as caching goes.

I also know that I'll get a fair dose of caching in next week in CA, which will make up for the several weeks I've taken off :rolleyes:

It's a little too cold where I live for me to get excited about freezing my buns off walking around in the woods. As soon as the weather gets better, we'll be at it again. Also, we've found most of the traditional caches within 10 miles of home, so a day of geocaching requires alot of planning. Unless we're going somewhere new, then we plan to geocache.

Collecting coins, trading coins, and trading wooden nickels gives me something to do when I can't be outside. Otherwise, geocaching is still the #1 activity for us.

It's a little too cold where I live for me to get excited about freezing my buns off walking around in the woods. As soon as the weather gets better, we'll be at it again. Also, we've found most of the traditional caches within 10 miles of home, so a day of geocaching requires alot of planning. Unless we're going somewhere new, then we plan to geocache.

Collecting coins, trading coins, and trading wooden nickels gives me something to do when I can't be outside. Otherwise, geocaching is still the #1 activity for us.

Us too! When it is too cold to take the crew out caching, the geocoins and wooden nickels fill the gap. Cold weather is dangerous to my wallet!

While it is also cold here, that is only part of our break from caching lately. Alot is just finding the time amongst all the other things to do. I had also taken a major break from any coin related stuff for awhile. Am back abit, but not actively seeking out coins to purchase very much. (got burnt out awhile ago)

Though being part of afew new coin projects has brought me back some lately, and when the weather cooperates more, will be caching more again as well.

Definitely caching first, then coins. :huh: As much as I love coins and love designing coins, the whole point for us was to put more coins in caches. We've slowed down caching for the last month as work and life have caught up, but we'll be back to full speed in no time. Takes some time to place caches, too and we've got a few on the drawing board right now. :rolleyes:

While it is also cold here, that is only part of our break from caching lately. Alot is just finding the time amongst all the other things to do. I had also taken a major break from any coin related stuff for awhile. Am back abit, but not actively seeking out coins to purchase very much. (got burnt out awhile ago)

Though being part of afew new coin projects has brought me back some lately, and when the weather cooperates more, will be caching more again as well.

I have quite a few coins, :rolleyes: I love to collect them. But for me, it does not replace geocaching.

Up North, in Canada, it gets quite cold during the winter so I slow down a bit on caching when it gets too cold. As soon as things start to warm up a bit, I'll be going back out. I've even bought myself an iPaq to go paperless. :huh:

Definitely caching first! I could easily live without the whole geocoin business.

There's another category that's not been mentioned - the geocoin investor. There seems to be quite a few people that don't cache at all (and may not even have an account) and they buy geocoins for the express purpose of reselling them. Not there's anything wrong with that, of course.

Edited by 9Key

BOTH! um well sorta. When time allows and temps are agreeable (to all 3 of us) we cache!!! As for coins, I work hard trying to design coins as a sort of stay at home mom kinda job. The majority of the coins in "my" collection are actually for my daughter. So yeah, I guess they are both equally high in priority but for different reasons, caching = fun, coins = income.

Yup you caught me. :rolleyes:

I haven't cached in a while.

I occasionally buy or trade coins.

I fall under a third category (which alot of people in the coin forum fall under) --- i post and like seeing my opinions heard :huh:

I agree, I love caching, but life gets in the way, work, etc.. its easy to spend some time on the computer at night after work in the forums, or check the mailbox on the way home to see hat new coins i get.

I'm on the Geocoin end of the spectrum. Unfortunately, I'm dealing with some health issues at this time. I haven't been able to Cache much since I started last Summer. The ones I did go to, were with a friend in New Jersey. I have some fond memories.

Right now, I'm at the point where I go to and from work in my little Beetle, and that's about it these days.

I really enjoy the forums. :rolleyes:

I'm on the Geocoin end of the spectrum. Unfortunately, I'm dealing with some health issues at this time. I haven't been able to Cache much since I started last Summer. The ones I did go to, were with a friend in New Jersey. I have some fond memories.

Right now, I'm at the point where I go to and from work in my little Beetle, and that's about it these days.

I really enjoy the forums. :rolleyes:

Hey, Fluttershy, you're a real trooper and I know you'll be back" in the swing of things soon". :huh: But then, look on our bright side, you do so much for us cachers.

Can't I do both.

I haven't cached in 2 weeks but I did find 115 caches in december and 69 caches in January.

Team Sand Dollar

Your my idol....... :o:o:o:P

I like to cache first, but since it is burrrrrrrrrrrrr :) I have decided to make my own coin....LOL while it is cold out to pass time. ;)

I have been doing a little collecting since it is cold out and found this site instead of e-bay Which makes collecting a little cheaper. But as soon as it is above freezing I will be out and about. If you look at my profile I buy coins/bugs and set them free for others to enjoy (around 30) but I have accumulated quite a collection (for keeps) in the past few months. :rolleyes::huh:

i too have found a good portion of the close caches and I really enjoy the ones with long hikes...so at times it is taking me well over an hour to get to a particular cache parking area figure in two jobs, and I have recently purchased a mountain bike.....LOL...I cache when ever I have spare time.

I think I have it bad how in the world do those with 3000 finds locate caches. they must wait by the computer for the new ones to pop up.

Steel City Babes

Trasi :o

Until a few months ago, I was only into the caching aspect of Geocaching. I knew zero about buying/trading coins. But now, I must admit that I am in more of a "coin" phase of my life than a "cache" phase. This is primarily due to ... (insert sob story here) the arrival of 3 little ones in our household just less than 7 months ago. This makes it quite the expedition to get everyone out of the house! It is MUCH easier to check the computer for the latest coin releases, etc. So, if anyone is looking for a solution to their caching "problem", I'd suggest 3 babies (and a preschooler). Not to mention in the time I've been writing this I've tried to feed one baby and put her to bed, and tickled one preschooler. Whew. Better go.

I think I have it bad how in the world do those with 3000 finds locate caches.

I can only speak for myself, but I live in a reasonably cache-dense area, though it isn't anything like the larger metros throughout California, and cities like Nashville or even Jacksonville. Some metros literally have a cache every 528 ft, lol. Aside from new placements, we typically have to drive 45-60 minutes to make a full caching day out of it or else take a trip out of state.

I ran my pocket query for Temecula, CA from the GeocoinFest Event location, and 500 caches goes out only 17.3 miles. That's omitting multis, mysterys and above "4" terrain. Woo-hoo!

If geocaching ended tomorrow, I would not be collecting coins of any kind. But if geocoins ended tomorrow, I would still go on happily geocaching.

Well put.

I used to be really into coins when there were only a few, they meant something, and there was always a frenzy to get in on the buy (like the recent Compass Rose rush). It was fun to collect the icon when there were just a handful. Then it got to be way too commericial for my taste.

I stick around here to find the few coins that still peak my interest.

I'm selective in both my coins and caching. I just hit 1,000 finds but could easily be well over 2,000 by now since I live in California in a very cache dense area. I pass up a lot of caches in favor for ones that interest me - just like coins.

I cache in the spring, summer, and fall. I geocoin mostly in the winter (especially with the zero degree weather we've been having lately). I live in a pretty heavily wooded area. As such, most caches are a good hike in the woods -- not fun for me in the winter but really enjoyable during all other seasons. So, getting any more than 2 or 3 caches in a day is pretty hard for us.

....Anthus

I am a geocacher and the geocoins have a lot of meaning within that context.

I mostly get by on cache maintenance, Events, CITO's and finding any new caches. There are only 60 caches within 40 miles of my home coords and I have to drive about 2 1/2 hours in any direction before I can find caches so even though I love geocaching I just don't get to go much. Our family is going to GeocoinFest 2007 and the caching landscape looks very rich but we won't be looking for a lot of caches. In a family of five there are two of us who are avid cachers, my youngest son and I, we are both registered for GeocoinFest so that we get the tshirt! My wife likes walking in the woods so she can be enthusiastic about caches that offer us time together as a family. My daughter considers time spent geocaching as time wasted, my second oldest son tends to like the shadow of Mom's wing, this makes him ambivalent. I hope we can find time to do a few classics on our trip and we want to take in a few Earthcaches as well.

My wife and I were discussing doing the Disney trip "with the kids, before they get to old you know". <cliche> I was arguing for the Sunshine State and she wanted to go to California <I think she is hoping that when she gets on the ride It's a Small World she will go back in time!> :)

As soon as I saw that GeocoinFest was happening in Temecula I enthusiastically changed my mind so I guess that makes me a geocoin enthusiast. I believe that geocoins are another method of participating in the activity of geocaching and geocoins offer interaction with other geocachers who trade, sell, buy and collect them. I like to think that geocoins put the word "treasure" back in the description of geocaching. I have a collection of around twenty geocoins that I have found in caches and every one of them is a personal treasure. I know some of them might be very common to a collector but I found them or they were given to me so each one is unique in my mind. Right now I also have another 20 or so that I have purchased to give away. I usually don't release geocoins as travelers but I do have a traveling Geobone. I keep my geocoins at home on my treasure shelf with hundreds of geocaching cards and wooden poker chips and just a pile of stuff that reminds me of past adventures, stuff most people would want to throw out. (well not the geocoins!)

I think the collectors add a great deal of structure to geocaching by financing the existing and nascent groups, I think geocaching largely benefits from this input. I have had the pleasure of placing hundreds of new unactivated geocoins in caches and this has been the result of geocoin collectors buying geocoins.

I think geocoins can create enduring excitement, for geocachers.

Well I just started caching in November 06- To date ive got 7 hides and 47 finds , Ive got mostly all the local caches and look for caches wherever I go. I have to venture from here for more finds, My last find was 2 days ago along with my last hide- (Which was found this morning :) ).... BUT Since my intro to geocoins, Ive went a little nuts, my last count on my geocoins was a wapping 213 Ive added about 20 since then, so you can say im a little bit OBSESSED with both.

I really like thinking on my next cache, and the whole Bikedog Memorial cache that I was workin on really got me goin, also iffy isolated caches that are claimed DNF's with no finds for 2+ years have got me lookin forward to many adventures.

All though im always thinkin of cool coin ideas and fondling my coins- The coins are not what keep me up at night---Its the caches! :(:huh::)

Coins used to be a hobby once upon a time for most people, now it's become a true obsession for many.

Not sure if I'm brave enough to make such a statement because I can only speak for myself not most people. :)

Cacher! coin dabble-er

My introduction to geocaching was in March of 2001 by a friend (xsintrik), it wasn't until a year later that we (a family of 5) could afford a GPS. Then it was on, I was addicted from the jumpstart! I was introduced to geocoins in late 2002 in California; I found a "Joy of Caching" geocoin. Of course I had no idea it was a geocoin because I had never even heard the term geocoin. That "Joy of Caching" geocoin puzzled me, I did not know what it was, where it came from, what it meant, who made it, nor did I know why. So of course the next cache I found I dropped it as a trade, who knows for what probably something for one of my twins.

When I moved to Redmond WA in January of 2003 it didn't take long for me to find out about this Moun10Bike cacher person...along with his highly sought after "geocoins". It was then I put two and two together and remembered that "Joy of Caching" geocoin I had found months prior. I ask my husband "SuperGenius" if I could have some personal geocoins...his first response was huh, after I explained he said sure, after you cache for another year then we'll talk about it. So I cached for another year all the while having a blast caching and chasing Moun10bike coins. In January of 2004 I asked again, by March 2004 I had my first personal geocoin SuperGenius/Pepper in the works. After my first year or so of geocoin addiction I found myself slowly pulling away realizing geocaching to me was about the caches not the coins. I couldn't wrap my head around the two going hand in hand because that's not the way it was when I first started geocaching. Now when we get new geocachers the two (geocoins and geocaching) do go hand in hand, if they please.

I had to get myself in check because it was turning into a HUGE expense, it was fast changing and losing its appeal (to me) as I first knew it. I was stuck in the mindset that it should stay the way it was when I first stated collecting. I could not get past or accept the ever changing face of geocoins so I backed out of geocoins (except for my own personal ones) and carried on geocaching. I did continue to place my coins in caches as gifts and still do. I have now come to accept the new face of geocoins and realized it was I that needed to change my way of thinking. Geocoins has morphed into what it is today and from the looks of things they are here to stay "Cool". How I chose to play the coin game is the same as others choosing the way they play their caching game. I am easing my way back into geocoins very carefully, slowly and very picky. Just like I can pick and choose what caches I do, I can also pick and choose what geocoins I want or don't want.

I'm not going to try and push my views on others it's not my place! Rather it is a side hobby for some or an obsession for others it’s each individuals decision to make, it does not make is right or wrong nor does it make them better or worse of a person. I would think it would depend on how much money they have in their wallet and it's their wallet!

Any old way I'm a cacher girl always have been always will be....come on milestone #5000 and I'm patiently waiting on my new non-trackable 2007 geocoin. :)

Pepper

I agree with what Kealia said.

Chris-Team Shydog

Careful, you can get tarred and feathered for saying something like that!

Bring it on!!

For me, it is always caching first. I will go look for one at the drop of a hat. If you want proof, check out this log.

I get a huge kick out of coins, and have put together a nice (I think anyway) collection. But, if they stopped appearing, I would survive, just fine.