Converting my Outlook Contacts into a GPX file.

Shawn350

I have 645 Contacts that are address based I want to convert them into Name plus the Cordinates so I can upload them into my 60CS is this possible.

I have them in a TAb delimited format, I need a software that can read them then output them to GPX.

Can this be done? Any ideas? I dont want to have to enter them one by one by hand.

I have 645 Contacts that are address based I want to convert them into Name plus the Cordinates so I can upload them into my 60CS is this possible.

I have them in a TAb delimited format, I need a software that can read them then output them to GPX.

Can this be done? Any ideas? I dont want to have to enter them one by one by hand.

The trick is in converting the addresses into coordinates (unless I misunderstand your post and you actually already have the coordinates in one of the tab delimited fields.

Somebody out there may know of a web service that will provide lat/lon from a street address but I'm not aware of it (I'll have to do a search, that would be handy.) Actually converted the data in a tab delimited file to GPX would not be difficult. It is a small matter of programming (SMOP).

Well, I'll be. Google wins again. Check out:

http://www.batchgeocode.com/

Looks like that will do just what you want and it works with tab delimited files. They say you can download the results to Google Earth. If so, you can probably export the KML format info and use BabelGPS or something similar to put it into GPX.

Just tried it. It works. This is fantastic. I can take this and load the coordinates right into my phone GPS app. Google has some really cool geocoding stuff.

Edited by dpbabcock

I'm the owner of GPS Visualizer. Both my site and batchgeocode.com will find the coordinates of street addresses, but here's what I'd recommend:

1) Go to batchgeocode.com and convert your addresses. It'll be slow -- 1-2 seconds per address -- but probably pretty accurate, because they use the Yahoo! Geocoding API for all addresses. (GPS Visualizer is faster but primarily uses a local copy of a Census Bureau database which is less accurate and less tolerant of funky input; also, GPS Visualizer will only do 400 at once.)

2) Copy and paste the geocoded output from batchgeocode.com into GPS Visualizer's "convert" form: http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/convert?convert_output=gpx

3) If you want, rename a couple of fields in your data to "name" and "desc"; or, just leave them be, and GPS Visualizer will probably build names and descriptions for you.

3) Click the "Convert" button. Voila.