2007 Compass Rose

Rubiconlwb

Yes, but those are the LE versions that they sent me for GeocoinFest...they were never offered for sale on their site...so technically, this is the primary market...

I'm particularly interested in light of this history of this coin how making 100 of a special edition seemed like "enough" to fullfill the desires of the community. :P

Let me address this one issue...

There were never any initial plans to make this LE coin.

Now I'm really confused. When I was sent a poll, I was asked about intrest in finishes including the two-tone. If it was never intended for sale on their site, then why did they ask us if we were interested in buying them? If I've misunderstood something just say so and I'll happily retract that, but I responded to the poll specifically because I liked the idea of the two-tone coin. It was the whole reason I wanted to buy a Compass Rose. Is there a difference in the two-tone offered in the poll and the ones you received to raise money for the event? (by the way that was VERY cool of C&P to do for you :P )

Now I'm really really confused. I did not realize a poll meant anything other than taking a poll. Didn't know that when you set up a poll you were telling people what you were going to sell. If that is the expectation I think everyone should keep that in mind when polling as it may cause issues (course it seems like everything causes issues these days.)

On a side note-Generally the LE is saved for the most desirable metal/style, which is part of what makes them so special (not just the limited #)

Edited by Hula Bum

<snip...>

come, first served, but since my 13 year-old daughter is handling the sales for me...that isn't going to work! Or, I could charge $25 per coin, and then let folks grumble that I am gouging them...a difficult situation at best...

Do I send that $25 to your PayPal address? :P

$25 is a HUGE bargain! Have you looked at Ebay? The one that's going to expire tomorrow is up to $79! And with a day to go it will probably just go up!

Yes, but those are the LE versions that they sent me for GeocoinFest...they were never offered for sale on their site...so technically, this is the primary market...

I'm particularly interested in light of this history of this coin how making 100 of a special edition seemed like "enough" to fullfill the desires of the community. :P

Let me address this one issue...

There were never any initial plans to make this LE coin.

Now I'm really confused. When I was sent a poll, I was asked about intrest in finishes including the two-tone. If it was never intended for sale on their site, then why did they ask us if we were interested in buying them? If I've misunderstood something just say so and I'll happily retract that, but I responded to the poll specifically because I liked the idea of the two-tone coin. It was the whole reason I wanted to buy a Compass Rose. Is there a difference in the two-tone offered in the poll and the ones you received to raise money for the event? (by the way that was VERY cool of C&P to do for you :P )

As I see it the antique silver that they did sell is still a 2 tone. It is only 2 tone on the side with the "wheel". the other side is just the silver. On the LE coin it is 2 tone on BOTH sides. Anyway, that's how it looks to me from the pics. Anyone with more info than just pics, please post if you see it differently. Thanks!

Now I'm really really confused. I did realize a poll meant anything other than taking a poll. Didn't know that when you set up a poll you were telling people what you were going to sell. If that is the expectation I think everyone should keep that in mind when polling as it may cause issues (course it seems like everything causes issues these days.)

On a side note-Generally the LE is saved for the most desirable metal/style, which is part of what makes them so special (not just the limited #)

:P Are you mockin' me? :P I realize a poll isn't a promise to produce and I didn't have any expectations other than receiving a notice that they would be going up for sale (but that wasn't anyone's fault as discussed above). I think they're a good idea actually and a smart move.

On a side note of my own - My only interest in all this was that the poll indicated the results would help determine how many of each kind to make and at the time they were not being referred to as a limited edition coin, just another alternate metal that would be available. Having a large number of those coins set aside for a good cause is more than good enough reason for me to be happy trying to find a trade down the line instead. :P

I didn't see the poll, so I can't be 100% certain, but one of the coins they sold did have 2-tone plating on one side. That might be the one you are thinking of. They may have listed all the possible finishes they had sampled in the poll, and only manufactured the ones that they received the most feedback on.

When I talked with him about the LE coins, he had already placed his order with the mint, with all of the finishes they were going to buy. He told me there was another sample they had received that looked good, so he contacted the mint the next day, and added my order.

I didn't bring my other CR coins to the office, so I don't know if they are the same or not...but the LE coins have metallic flakes in the colors on the front too!

I didn't see the poll, so I can't be 100% certain, but one of the coins they sold did have 2-tone plating on one side. That might be the one you are thinking of. They may have listed all the possible finishes they had sampled in the poll, and only manufactured the ones that they received the most feedback on.

When I talked with him about the LE coins, he had already placed his order with the mint, with all of the finishes they were going to buy. He told me there was another sample they had received that looked good, so he contacted the mint the next day, and added my order.

I didn't bring my other CR coins to the office, so I don't know if they are the same or not...but the LE coins have metallic flakes in the colors on the front too!

Well that explains a lot and I think it is the one I'm looking for! What are all the differences between the two-tone and the LEs you received? Does anyone have pictures of all the different versions posted already?

Can someone clear things up a bit? Is this the LE with 2tone on both sides?

Finished Auction

In any case, holy COW!!! :P $112.50 for a single coin :P

Can I get 1 of the $25 coin so I can sell it? :P

Just kidding, I must not be that addicted yet. Wouldn't pay $112.50 or $25 for a single coin.

Yes, that is the 2-tone LE and you'll notice the coin was sold by C&P. That is not the one from their website. The LE has 2 tones on both sides. The antique silver that was available on the website is only 2-tone on the back, and still quite a gorgeous coin!

Oh, and, neither would I.

I absolutely think that C&P are savvy business people. They sell their coins the way they do because they KNOW it will generate a frenzy and encourage people to buy 30 or 40 or 50 at a time so they can make a profit afterward. They also know that some people will miss out because they don't want to or can't be at their computerss at 5:00 in the morning for a coin sale or they are not off work yet when the sale starts. Then these people who missed out will be wanting to get a coin and they can sell them at auction for double (or more). How about the next time they sell a coin, do it like many other do. Take pre-orders (no money exchanging hands, just an order). Mint the number you have presold plus a couple hundred extras and when they come in, invoice the people who pre-ordered. Nobody spent money and had to wait a month for the coin, everybody who wanted a coin got one and C&P sold a ton of coins and they are still just as beautiful and desirable as ever. I guess it would make these forums kind of boring with nothing to cuss and discuss, huh?

Can someone clear things up a bit? Is this the LE with 2tone on both sides?

Finished Auction

In any case, holy COW!!! :D $112.50 for a single coin :D

Can I get 1 of the $25 coin so I can sell it? :(

Just kidding, I must not be that addicted yet. Wouldn't pay $112.50 or $25 for a single coin.

Yes, that is the 2-tone LE and you'll notice the coin was sold by C&P. That is not the one from their website. The LE has 2 tones on both sides. The antique silver that was available on the website is only 2-tone on the back, and still quite a gorgeous coin!

Oh, and, neither would I.

Unless it was being sold for a charity!! :(

Personally, I think they're smart to be the first ones to sell them on the e* place. A coin designer should be the one to benefit from their design, and by having the first ones for sale there they get the rewards and take the edge off the market before third parties get a chance. More power to them.

It'll be interesting to see in another week how many LEs actually are up for auction. Given it sounds like there'll be a limit of 1 per person at GeocoinFest, and it will mostly be the real collectors there to begin with, I wonder how many of the people who get them will be willing to part with them. Though selling one coin and covering half your travel costs might be tempting. :(

I just saw the icon for 2007 Compass Rose geocoins.

Isn't it awesome!

883.gif

We just saw it today too! Didn't think the animated icons were allowed any more, but it's REALLY neat!

hrmmm, its not animated now? least mines not when I view my trackables.

Anyone know why it was animated previously, but isn't anymore? I only actived mine because it was animated. :unsure:

I'm guessing that the icon isn't animated anymore cuz someone snitched to GS about it being so and they took out the animation.

I don't know about the CR mail, but I know I ordered some stuff from another company and it took 5 days for what normally takes 2 from them. What's up with our postmen!?

I don't know about the CR mail, but I know I ordered some stuff from another company and it took 5 days for what normally takes 2 from them. What's up with our postmen!?

Finally got mine here in CA today... longer than usual. I attributed it to the weather and numerous cancelled flights in some places. Maybe just me "making excuses" for our mail person???

I just saw the icon for 2007 Compass Rose geocoins.

Isn't it awesome!

883.gif

We just saw it today too! Didn't think the animated icons were allowed any more, but it's REALLY neat!

hrmmm, its not animated now? least mines not when I view my trackables.

Anyone know why it was animated previously, but isn't anymore? I only actived mine because it was animated. :unsure:

The gascan icon stopped dripping too...

Finally got mine here in CA today... longer than usual. I attributed it to the weather and numerous cancelled flights in some places. Maybe just me "making excuses" for our mail person???

We normally get things much quicker, but we're still waiting for our CR coins that were ordered last Tuesday evening, our Hogswild travelers that were ordered Tuesday morning, AND something noncaching related ordered from Amazon that was supposed to be overnight delivery (and was a Valentine's Day gift!)

:unsure:

Interesting, I thought that USA geocoins only had the one metal for sale originally. Did they just buy a whole bunch and whole onto these for awhile or am I confused?

Same here...I thought they were just the exclusive seller of the Satin Gold version...