2007 Compass Rose

Rubiconlwb

Somehow I missed the sale on the 2007 Compass Rose coin! Does anybody out there have an extra I could purchase or trade for? Beggers can't be choosers so any of the three metals would be Ok although I actually prefer the black nickel version. I almost missed the Geocoin Fest but managed to get 3 of them tonight and I suspect they won't last much longer.

Somehow I missed the sale on the 2007 Compass Rose coin! Does anybody out there have an extra I could purchase or trade for? Beggers can't be choosers so any of the three metals would be Ok although I actually prefer the black nickel version. I almost missed the Geocoin Fest but managed to get 3 of them tonight and I suspect they won't last much longer.

I ordered a bronze and a black nickel. If the hubby decides that he likes the bronze over the black nickel, I will send you an e-mail.

Also, keep checking their site from time to time.

There are sometimes coins left in carts that they clear out after a time...occasionally one or two will pop back up as available...

Edited to add that as soon as a mod sees this...you'll be directed to post your need in the trade thread per the new guidelines. <_<

Edited by Cornerstone4

We just checked the site. they are up for sale right now! <_< HURRY!!

I went there as soon as I saw your post but there were none available. It shows the coins but it indicates they are sold out. I will take the advice from above and check back with them occasionally. Never thought about the fact that I probably should have posted my request in the trading thread even though I would be willing to buy as well. Bummer!

I went there as soon as I saw your post but there were none available. It shows the coins but it indicates they are sold out. I will take the advice from above and check back with them occasionally. Never thought about the fact that I probably should have posted my request in the trading thread even though I would be willing to buy as well. Bummer!

I recommend clicking on the link for the coin even if the text under the coin says "sold out." They can update the inventory before they update the coin page, so you might still have a chance at picking up some coins.

Somehow I missed the sale on the 2007 Compass Rose coin! Does anybody out there have an extra I could purchase or trade for? Beggers can't be choosers so any of the three metals would be Ok although I actually prefer the black nickel version. ......

Email sent.

I recommend clicking on the link for the coin even if the text under the coin says "sold out." They can update the inventory before they update the coin page, so you might still have a chance at picking up some coins.

That is a good idea but I did that as well. It just takes you to another page with a lot of space and 'Sold Out' at the bottom. I will definitely return there and check it out as I really would like to get at least one of these coins since I have the previous two issues. Thanks for responding.

That is a good idea but I did that as well. It just takes you to another page with a lot of space and 'Sold Out' at the bottom. I will definitely return there and check it out as I really would like to get at least one of these coins since I have the previous two issues. Thanks for responding.

I will keep an eye out as well. :rolleyes: If I can I will get you a black nickel or one of the others if it is not available. Then you can just let me know if you want it or not, But I have a feeling they are sold out of all them.

I will keep an eye out as well. :rolleyes: If I can I will get you a black nickel or one of the others if it is not available. Then you can just let me know if you want it or not, But I have a feeling they are sold out of all them.

I just checked the site, and they aren't even listed on there anymore...I guess they are totally gone now.

I've send C&P a note suggesting that they mint another batch of the Compass Rose coins. Perhaps if other people who have been left out in the cold also send a (constructive, polite) note they'll see that there's a business case for pressing enough coins to go around. Considering that Compass Rose is C&P's signature item, designed to show off the the sort of design detail and construction quality that they provide for their clients, they certainly do make it difficult for people get ahold of the coins.

dave

This just made me sick to my stomach! Being a new cacher and have never made a coin purchase I had been looking at this set of coins, after a day of caching I got on the comp. to make the purchase and their sold out.

I said to the wife watch they'll be on E-BAY here shortly. Sure enough there they are, buy it now price 30.00 a piece. This just ruins the hobby imo.

I've made up my mind if I do purchase any coins it will be another clubs state coin to support that club.

Don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with buying and selling on e-bay. I've sold plenty of tropical fish on e-bay and aquabid. What gets me is non cachers trying to make a fast buck, heck there's coins that are still available being sold there with people bidding on them go figure.

I said to the wife watch they'll be on E-BAY here shortly. Sure enough there they are, buy it now price 30.00 a piece. This just ruins the hobby imo.

I agree with you in general, however.... take another look at those listings.

Those particular Compass Rose coins are actually being sold [/b] by the maker , and they aren't the finishes that were sold for $10 on the coinsandpins website; they're gold on one side and nickel on the other, which makes them even higher value as a collector's item.

Those particular Compass Rose coins are actually being sold [/b] by the maker , and they aren't the finishes that were sold for $10 on the coinsandpins website; they're gold on one side and nickel on the other, which makes them even higher value as a collector's item.

There are, as well, 3 coins with a buy it now price of $40, and those were the ones that were released to the public. This is just crazy! I hope coinsandpins will mint more of the Compass Rose coins for this year, so that people that wanted them, can get them at the $10 price.

There are, as well, 3 coins with a buy it now price of $40, and those were the ones that were released to the public. This is just crazy! I hope coinsandpins will mint more of the Compass Rose coins for this year, so that people that wanted them, can get them at the $10 price.

These are the one's I was talking about, not Aaron's gold coins. I noticed another auction that had them at starting bid 15.00 a piece, this should turn into a bid war.

This just made me sick to my stomach! Being a new cacher and have never made a coin purchase I had been looking at this set of coins, after a day of caching I got on the comp. to make the purchase and their sold out.

As was said to the OP keep checking Aaron's site as they may re-mint or get another batch in. The Sydney koala coins suffered a similar fate but another batch became available a couple of weeks later. The 2007 Compass Rose has been much anticipated (especially after the success of the 2006 version) with the sale starting at a specific time so it was to be expected that there would be a feeding frenzy. Good luck. :)

I've made up my mind if I do purchase any coins it will be another clubs state coin to support that club.

Don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with buying and selling on e-bay. I've sold plenty of tropical fish on e-bay and aquabid. What gets me is non cachers trying to make a fast buck, heck there's coins that are still available being sold there with people bidding on them go figure.

Sent you an email the other day.

I wonder how many of the 100 LE ones will be at GeocoinFest.

A bid war is one thing but there is going to be a real war for the LE's at the event. I see hitting and pushing...........:)

I don't think so. Violence of any kind won't be tolorated at the event.

The price on these will most likely be much higher that the other variations released. Also, it seems they will most likely be limited to 1 per cacher/team.

Of course all this could change, but this was the latest I was informed of.

Edited by AtlantaGal

Anybody know how many more times they'll be up for sale or are they "officially" sold out? I'm surprised we didn't get a notice that they would go on sale like the email said we would. :)

When I spoke with them last week about the 2-tone coins, they indicated they were completely sold out. I know they keep a few back in case of problems...but basically they are all gone.

Anybody know how many more times they'll be up for sale or are they "officially" sold out? I'm surprised we didn't get a notice that they would go on sale like the email said we would. :mad:

When I spoke with them last week about the 2-tone coins, they indicated they were completely sold out. I know they keep a few back in case of problems...but basically they are all gone.

Thanks! That's too bad, but I guess that'll just make trading more interesting. :) I'm surprised that they would do such a short run after polling us to find out what we wanted though. Why even bother us with a poll if they're going to totally ignore it? :mad: It's not like they actually feared they wouldn't be able to sell them. :cry:

Anybody know how many more times they'll be up for sale or are they "officially" sold out? I'm surprised we didn't get a notice that they would go on sale like the email said we would. :cry:

Thanks! That's too bad, but I guess that'll just make trading more interesting. :) I'm surprised that they would do such a short run after polling us to find out what we wanted though. Why even bother us with a poll if they're going to totally ignore it? :mad: It's not like they actually feared they wouldn't be able to sell them. :mad:

Does this mean the Fox and the Hound doesn't have a compass coin. I haven't got my package in the mail yet, but I have paid for several coins. I think your coin is too cool and would love to trade if you're interested. Thanks.

I'm surprised that they would do such a short run after polling us to find out what we wanted though. Why even bother us with a poll if they're going to totally ignore it? :) It's not like they actually feared they wouldn't be able to sell them. :mad:

Who said we ingnored the poll, and how does anyone know if we didn't fear not being able to sell out of them?

Edit spelling.

Edited by CoinsAndPins

Who said we ingnored the poll, and how does anyone know if we didn't fear not being able to sell out of them?

I guess that when the entire inventory sells out in 24 hours, people start jumping to unfortunate conclusions.

Seeing as this coin has proven to be so much more popular than you had anticipated, can you confirm that you will be minting another batch of them? There seems to be a lot of people wanting to send you money and it would be a shame to turn them away empty-handed.

dave

I'm surprised that they would do such a short run after polling us to find out what we wanted though. Why even bother us with a poll if they're going to totally ignore it? :) It's not like they actually feared they wouldn't be able to sell them. :mad:

Edit spelling.

If you are going to quote your own post for spelling then you should make sure your spelling is correct.

ingnored

:mad:

Does this mean the Fox and the Hound doesn't have a compass coin. I haven't got my package in the mail yet, but I have paid for several coins. I think your coin is too cool and would love to trade if you're interested. Thanks.

We'd love to trade of course, I'll send you an email in a moment.

:) Sorry for the long response, I didn't realize anyone had responded so quickly and I couldn't get back to the net for a bit (long story). I was being facetious of course because I can't remember a time in the last year or so that any high-demand coin with a limited run (especially as little as 100) didn't sell out rather quickly (especially a compass rose unless we've all forgotten the last panic-buying-server-killing rush of fans :mad::mad: of your work).

I returned my info because I believed I would be given early notice before they were going up for sale. Never got the notice so.... missed my mark :cry: Aaron just wrote a moment ago though and let me know that there were several blocked notices though so I'm going back through to see if I can find if any of my settings were the culprit.

Have to say, even if we didn't manage to snag a couple, this is still a beautiful piece of work and I hope we find a couple sooner or later so we can set some loose, too. Thanks Aaron for giving me a shout and Tethys C for the offer. :D

EDIT: Turned out we were one of the ones that were "bounced" in the send. Looks like it's a random thing, too. Oh well, better luck next time :)

Edited by fox-and-the-hound

I've said this before and firmly believe that the way C&P sells their coins creates this buying frenzy. I realize this is a beautiful coin and lots of people want it but when it is only available at a certain time on a certain date, it just screams 'sold out'! It is also obvious that they did not create enough coins to satisfy the demand. I was under the impression that is why they were asking people's opinions on how many they were interested in. Isn't the idea to sell the coins? So if you made a couple hundred more than you anticipate you will sell, is it not logical that they will eventually sell and then everybody who wants one can get one? I participated in one such sale (Gold Compass Rose). It actually started 20 minutes late (6:20 a.m. my time) and the website experienced some problems because of the high volume. The sale previous to that one dropped the site to it's knees because of the overwhelming volume. Don't know what happened this time other than all the coins sold out but I'm guessing it put a strain on the servers again. So why not mint some more coins since it is quite obvious the are still lots of people out here who missed out?

I've said this before and firmly believe that the way C&P sells their coins creates this buying frenzy. I realize this is a beautiful coin and lots of people want it but when it is only available at a certain time on a certain date, it just screams 'sold out'! It is also obvious that they did not create enough coins to satisfy the demand. I was under the impression that is why they were asking people's opinions on how many they were interested in. Isn't the idea to sell the coins? So if you made a couple hundred more than you anticipate you will sell, is it not logical that they will eventually sell and then everybody who wants one can get one? I participated in one such sale (Gold Compass Rose). It actually started 20 minutes late (6:20 a.m. my time) and the website experienced some problems because of the high volume. The sale previous to that one dropped the site to it's knees because of the overwhelming volume. Don't know what happened this time other than all the coins sold out but I'm guessing it put a strain on the servers again. So why not mint some more coins since it is quite obvious the are still lots of people out here who missed out?

Ok, it's obvious that I am friends with C&P, so it will just sound like I am defending them...However, I know for a fact they did take the number of requests...and added at least 200 to that number...and they still sold out in one night.

Yes, it's a popular coin, and hindsight says they should have made more. They don't get any money off the inflated re-sale market, so a shortage of coins does them no good. The coin market is a fickle thing though...I just got all of the finishes of the GeocoinFest event...this is a beautiful coin, yet they aren't selling. They took requests for that one as well. Who can really say which coins will sell...

Ok, it's obvious that I am friends with C&P, so it will just sound like I am defending them...However, I know for a fact they did take the number of requests...and added at least 200 to that number...and they still sold out in one night.

Yes, it's a popular coin, and hindsight says they should have made more. They don't get any money off the inflated re-sale market, so a shortage of coins does them no good. The coin market is a fickle thing though...I just got all of the finishes of the GeocoinFest event...this is a beautiful coin, yet they aren't selling. They took requests for that one as well. Who can really say which coins will sell...

I am happy to hear that C&P made an effort to supply the coins they thought people would purchase, only they or somebody in the loop knew that for sure. It speaks volumes about what a beautiful coin this is that it sold so quickly and so readily even after extras were made. Most likely, there is nothing that anybody could have done to make it so everybody who wanted one could get one. I think I have managed to make a deal with another collector to get the two finishes I really wanted which I am thankful for, either through trade or purchase. I did purchase the GeoCoin Fest coins because I think they are great looking coins as well. I know somebody who will be attending the fest and have asked them to get me one of the event only coins, I'm really excited about that!

I missed out on the 2007 rose too .... on purpose. I will post something regarding mint numbers on teh Sydney stroll thread as it pertains mostly to this coin but the caveat regarding mint numbers I'll be discussing applies to some others I have purchased so I think at last the newbies will be interested.

I think every coin maker has taken a hit in here for one thing or another. I too consider C & P a friend, as well as HWS, never met Oakcoins, but he seems like good people, same with Landsharkz, Mike from the geocoinclub recently tried to do the right thing, so it seems he too is ok.

My point being, no matter what they do, someone complains, too many coins, not enough coins, too many finishes, not enough finishes and on and on and on.

Let's give it a break.

I saw a post where someone got 30 or more Compass Rose coins, did they ask for that many on the poll, or did they see a demand and decided to take advantage, kudos for them if they did, it is the American way, buy low, sell high!!!

I will probable take some heat for this, but I have thick skin, so let it fly :rolleyes:

I missed out on the 2007 rose too .... on purpose. I will post something regarding mint numbers on teh Sydney stroll thread as it pertains mostly to this coin but the caveat regarding mint numbers I'll be discussing applies to some others I have purchased so I think at last the newbies will be interested.

I think every coin maker has taken a hit in here for one thing or another. I too consider C & P a friend, as well as HWS, never met Oakcoins, but he seems like good people, same with Landsharkz, Mike from the geocoinclub recently tried to do the right thing, so it seems he too is ok.

My point being, no matter what they do, someone complains, too many coins, not enough coins, too many finishes, not enough finishes and on and on and on.

Let's give it a break.

I saw a post where someone got 30 or more Compass Rose coins, did they ask for that many on the poll, or did they see a demand and decided to take advantage, kudos for them if they did, it is the American way, buy low, sell high!!!

I will probable take some heat for this, but I have thick skin, so let it fly :rolleyes:

Re: My bold of aprt of prntr1's remark above:

I have to just add a tiny comment here. Limiting a strike of a coin makes them more desireable.

Let's just remember Beanie Babies: Unlimited production devalues an item.

And harsh as it is, the market will shake it all out in the end.

...They don't get any money off the inflated re-sale market, so a shortage of coins does them no good...

Sure they do...

eBay auction 1

eBay auction 2

More power to them looks to me like they know the market very well. Seems like a pretty savvy business move if you ask me.

Absolutely beautiful coin, great job!

I did not get one because of the no paypal issue.

Pepper

Yes, but those are the LE versions that they sent me for GeocoinFest...they were never offered for sale on their site...so technically, this is the primary market...

Here's a thought. Sicne they're already asking us how many we want in the poll, why don't they just do a preorder at least? I'd be happy to pay well in advance to reserve mine.

See, I disagree. I think there is far too much of this the way it is. I'm really tired of shelling out cash and waiting 4-6 weeks (or even longer) for the delivery of the coins. I highly prefer the vendors and sellers who have the coins in hand or scheduled delivery notice before they take our money.

This coin is a very popular design. It attracts non-coin folks worldwide in addition to the standard geocoin collectors. I would estimate that their mail list reservation method probably doesn't cover but maybe 50% at most of the market for this coin --- and that's if everyone receives and replies to the poll.

I, too, agree with the idea of preorders...crake does this with his massively popular geocoins so I fail to see why C&P couldn't do this as well...for one, it would help ensure that those who want the coins will get them and not pay the inflated eBay prices, and two, it would help keep his site from becoming FUBAR when a sale of a very popular coin is brought online.

Edited by Arthur & Trillian

Here's a thought. Sicne they're already asking us how many we want in the poll, why don't they just do a preorder at least? I'd be happy to pay well in advance to reserve mine.

See, I disagree. I think there is far too much of this the way it is. I'm really tired of shelling out cash and waiting 4-6 weeks (or even longer) for the delivery of the coins. I highly prefer the vendors and sellers who have the coins in hand or scheduled delivery notice before they take our money.

This coin is a very popular design. It attracts non-coin folks worldwide in addition to the standard geocoin collectors. I would estimate that their mail list reservation method probably doesn't cover but maybe 50% at most of the market for this coin --- and that's if everyone receives and replies to the poll.

I don't think the preorder works in every case. However, we're not talking about first-time newbs introducing a product. We're talking about an established business that's run by professionals introducing a product with a history of hyperactive ordering sprees. I don't worry about shelling out to pros the way I might with first-timers or small organizations new to the process. I'm particularly interested in light of this history of this coin how making 100 of a special edition seemed like "enough" to fullfill the desires of the community. :blink:

Now if you tell me you're making 100 LE's and it's first come first serve I say bully for you and I'll watch for it. I don't have any animosity for C&P. I think they're doing a hell of a job. I just think that time and energy could be conserved by giving us the option for a preorder. A simple "Hey this is coming up and you can reserve yours now or wait for the open sale" message would be more than enough. You have the option of putting your dollars out there or waiting for the sale. I'm well aware that no one solution is going to make everybody happy, but I'd like to see a system that works smoothly and makes as many happy as possible, too. :rolleyes:

I'm particularly interested in light of this history of this coin how making 100 of a special edition seemed like "enough" to fullfill the desires of the community. :lol:

Let me address this one issue...

There were never any initial plans to make this LE coin. As you know, we have 2 big events this weekend that I am helping to organize. The GeocoinFest was generously sponsored by the vendors in our community here, so we were able to get a lot of great stuff for the goodie bags, rent 2 separate facilities, (1 for the event, one for the poker game), and buy drinks and snacks. It's going to be a great time!

Now, the other event on Sunday is our annual valley event...but this year it's going to be much bigger! :rolleyes: Typically, this event is just a good time to relax and visit with other cachers. We don't have a bunch of structured activities, but we do provide pizza and soda for everyone. This event is funded out of our pockets, and we have a donation jar for people to pitch in. We always fall a little short, but the local crew shares the expense. Needless to say, I have been a bit stressed, since I had to order over $800 worth of pizza, and haven't purchased the drinks yet...

So, when Aaron told me he had just released the Compass Rose coins to manufacture, I asked him if he would be willing to make an LE for me to sell at GeocoinFest to help me cover costs for Sunday's event...and he graciously agreed. :blink: I wanted 250 coins, but he was hesitant to do that many. He had to protect the sales of his coins, and was concerned about flooding the market. He agreed to send me 75, and keep a few for himself. In hindsight, we were way too conservative, but that's hindsight for you.

Now, I'm faced with the dilemma of having a lot of folks wanting a coin that I don't have enough of...I'm still working on that...I can do a lottery, but then the folks that miss out will be grumbling all day...I can do first come, first served, but since my 13 year-old daughter is handling the sales for me...that isn't going to work! Or, I could charge $25 per coin, and then let folks grumble that I am gouging them...a difficult situation at best...