Help on a code...

Isn't this considered "bad form"? I believe I read in another thread that seeking help on cache locations (including puzzles to help reveal the location) was considered to be poor etiquette. The suggestion offered in that thread was to e-mail the cache owner for a "nudge" in the correct direction.

Forgive me if for some reason this thread is different and I do not see it. <_<

Isn't this considered "bad form"? I believe I read in another thread that seeking help on cache locations (including puzzles to help reveal the location) was considered to be poor etiquette. The suggestion offered in that thread was to e-mail the cache owner for a "nudge" in the correct direction.

Yeah I was the one who started another topic about help on a cache and almost got burned on the stake. What are the thoughts of cachers on going to a forum to get help on a cache. I thought it was a good idea, but had that idea quickly shot down. Some of the owners pride themselves on their hides and their puzzles, and won't give much if any help. My intent is not to have other cachers do it for me but just to help out.

I think going to a forum to ask for help is a good idea. I just want to see what other cachers take on that is.

Yeah I was the one who started another topic about help on a cache and almost got burned on the stake. What are the thoughts of cachers on going to a forum to get help on a cache. I thought it was a good idea, but had that idea quickly shot down. Some of the owners pride themselves on their hides and their puzzles, and won't give much if any help. My intent is not to have other cachers do it for me but just to help out.

I think going to a forum to ask for help is a good idea. I just want to see what other cachers take on that is.

I can actually see both sides to this honestly. Sorry to hear you felt attacked. :blink: I don't think that was the intent of some of the posters. I think text is a poor conveyer of meaning/intent at times. I'm curious to see what your new topic thread will lead to.

I need help on solving a code that is on a cache page...GC10AAN is the cache.

Have you asked the person who hid the cache for a hint?

I would be very unhappy to have spoilers for my puzzles posted in the forums. I am not especially happy when others provide hints in private.

On the other hand, I have had a number of folks contact me and explain how they went about trying to solve one of mine and got stumped. I have no problem walking them through it, either with a brief hint or to conclusion. But, I don't think it is anyone else's place to do so.

Dave_W6DPS

Thanks for starting this thread. I really need help on the "Walk in the Park" cache. Is it in the tree stump, or over in the pile of rocks?

Look in the knot-hole dude.

Cache is no longer in the knothole, but has been removed by a rabid rodent and has fallen on the ground. Because this a totally different hide I am inviting all previous finders to relog the cache.

Thanks for starting this thread. I really need help on the "Walk in the Park" cache. Is it in the tree stump, or over in the pile of rocks?

Cache is no longer in the knothole, but has been removed by a rabid rodent and has fallen on the ground. Because this a totally different hide I am inviting all previous finders to relog the cache.

Uh-oh, when I went back to get a travelbug and couldn't find the cache, I left an altoids tin.

Oh, I should mention that I urinated on the cache to mark it as well, since that's the way I play the game.

I wasnt asking for someone to solve the puzzle. I was just asking someone what kind of puzzle it was. I have never seen a word puzzle it that.

You cachers that got the wrong inpression I am sorry. I am new to this activity and just asked help on one of the more difficult caches I have seen.

To let you'll know, I taught myself morse code to solve another cache in my area.

I just wanted to know what type of cypher to use. I want to solve the puzzle with the right guidence from the more experienced geocacher out there.

Uh-oh, when I went back to get a travelbug and couldn't find the cache, I left an altoids tin.

Oh, I should mention that I urinated on the cache to mark it as well, since that's the way I play the game.

Ive gotten two of your caches now as milestones, now I feel a little.......dirty. :rolleyes:

MUWHAHAHAHAHA.

I placed that cache. He asked me politely for a hint via email. I gave him a few nudges in the right direction. But I also said he might do better if he could enlist some help in cracking it ... the first finder was a pair of individuals.

I wouldn't think it's terribly wrong to use this forum to ask for volunteers to help tackle it. But I would think it was wrong to use this thread as a forum for cracking it ... email or private message or a private forum seems like a better way to go, AFAIC. Not sure if that's contrary to the moderation guidelines, though ...

-eP

I need help on solving a code that is on a cache page...GC10AAN is the cache.

Have you asked the person who hid the cache for a hint?

I would be very unhappy to have spoilers for my puzzles posted in the forums. I am not especially happy when others provide hints in private.

On the other hand, I have had a number of folks contact me and explain how they went about trying to solve one of mine and got stumped. I have no problem walking them through it, either with a brief hint or to conclusion. But, I don't think it is anyone else's place to do so.

Dave_W6DPS

I completely agree with the above. I love spending time on creating puzzles for others to solve. I would also hate to see the solution just handed out for all to see. This is just one more vote for "bad form". You really should email/PM the cache owner and ask for a nudge in the right direction.

Edited by Muddy and Amused

Once again, I am was not or am not looking for one of you'll to solve the puzzle.

I was just posting a question to a forum of people that might have more experience that myself in the matters of codes and encription.

Like the hider of the cache said up in a few posts up, I was asking someone else for help. I apologize if someone thought I was cheating. Why would I ask for a solution to a puzzle on a forum that the hider is a member?

I can tell by reaction of this topic that I will probably not post anymore. Sorry.

This or a similar topic is posted once a week or so. The OP is ridiculed and beat into submission :anitongue: and inevitably the same replies are post, such as: Google is your friend or ask the cache placer.

Has there ever been a consideration to post (and dare me say pin) a puzzle cache seekers FAQ?

This or a similar topic is posted once a week or so. The OP is ridiculed and beat into submission :) and inevitably the same replies are post, such as: Google is your friend or ask the cache placer.

Has there ever been a consideration to post (and dare me say pin) a puzzle cache seekers FAQ?

I would be happy to host an online forum for puzzle cache authors and seekers alike, if there's interest here. I'd love to exchange puzzle construction ideas with folks as well as work collaboratively in solving them. A separate forum would let us keep spoilers out of these, the main GC forums.

-eP

This or a similar topic is posted once a week or so. The OP is ridiculed and beat into submission :rolleyes: and inevitably the same replies are post, such as: Google is your friend or ask the cache placer.

I would be happy to host an online forum for puzzle cache authors and seekers alike, if there's interest here. I'd love to exchange puzzle construction ideas with folks as well as work collaboratively in solving them. A separate forum would let us keep spoilers out of these, the main GC forums.

-eP

Count me in. I think it's a great idea. I'm looking for puzzle ideas for my next cache hide.

I wouldn't stop posting just because you got jumped on this time. They do it to each other all the time. Heck wait till you get into a contenious issue over a rating system or whether Geocaching is a sport or a game.

There were three different cipers mentioned. Caesar ciper, Vignere code, PLAYFAIR cipher(is this real or some one just having fun). I have no idea what they are. We have no puzzle caches in our area. Could someone give a breif discription of them and how they work. I would assume a general discussion of cipers that are not cache specific would be okay on the forum.

My take: 2 things currently come about from cachers seeking help solving puzzles in the forum.

1. Cachers are discouraged to do so in a public place like a forum because the answer could be posted online for all to see, which would greatly and unfairly reduce the cache's difficulty.

a) Thin skinned cachers are upset by this aversion to public help. However, the response from one or 2 cachers should not turn one off to caching or future posting in the forum. Also, enlisting the Search feature or just browsing one or two pages of the forum will enlighten OP's to how threads like this are often treated.

2. Cachers will sometimes get the aid of a hint PM'd their way by someone who solves it. This helps the cacher find the cache (which, depending on the hint, may or not be cheating [another topic altogether]).

--

edit: And seriously. Taking the time to post on here and wait for a response (okay...a helpful response that could actually aid you) is not an efficient route to take when the aforementioned Google and Wikipedia searches can lead you to some wonderful pages immediately. Many questions on here regarding puzzles could just be typed straight into the Google search bar and give you proper results.

Note: Don't take this or any of my other posts as attacks (because I'm fairly certain this has happened). They're just MY thoughts on how I play MY game. Play YOURS YOUR way.

Edited by jasond

There is a group in my area that meets once a week to attempt to solve the puzzle caches left by another evil cacher. His puzzles are difficult enough that it takes months for this group to solve them if at all. I believe he takes great delight and watching them suffer. I am sure he would be less the pleased if one were given away by seeking help on this site, but I see no problem in asking what this cacher did. I think some respondents took his request wrong.