Found tag, but no coin

cobalt_abyss

---In my journeys today, I found a tag for a geocoin, but it has been seperated from it's coin. I looked up the coin on Groundspeak, and see that it is currently located a few miles away. SHould I try to return the tag to the coin? Or does it really matter?

When referring to travelers, the term 'tag' is typically used to describe the metal dog tag that is attached to travel bugs. Trackable geocoins normally do not have a tag of that type attached to them - the tracking number is usually etched directly onto the coin.

So I'm not sure what you are referring to when you say that you found a tag. What does the tag look like?

It's a white plastic rectangle with a brass eye embedded in one end. It says...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Coralgeo's Released: April 25 2005

USA Geocoin Origin: California United States

GOAL: Please help this

coin to travel to the

Houston area.

Use TBJKK0 to reference this geocoin"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It certainly looks like it was attached to the coin at one time. If it wasn't, what is it for?

Trackable coins will have the tracking number directly on them. Some people do attach a tag to them just to make it easier to recognize as a trackable coin with a mission. You could always email the owner of that trackable and let them know you found the description tag but it wasn't with the coin. If that TB# you listed is correct, this coin hasn't been logged since July! I'm sure the owner is already aware that it is missing.

3 hours ago, Coralgeo said:

For some reason I just saw this thread. When I released the geocoin into the wild, it did not have an accompanying tag. It sounds like something another finder added at a later date. Unfortunately this geocoin is still amongst the missing :(

This happens more than many know, and whatever odd reason the person has to do this, it often creates confusion for others. 

For example, just a short time ago a thread was started with something  similar.