New Geocoin Pirate? Joker?

Aushiker

There is a possibility that the geocacher did not correctly interpret your request that the coin not be taken to events and how multiple "discover" logs might result. I would send the geocacher a polite note clarifying your meaning and that you welcome having the coin found and placed in another physical cache so it can be found again.

If the geocacher wants to play the game with the coin the way you want it played, such a note may be helpful. If not, then all you are out is the time it took to write the note - and the coin, of course, but it is already at risk.

G'day

Thanks for your comments. That is an interesting take and you may be right, however when I look at the following I have my doubts, but then I have been wrong before:

(1) The cacher's geonick is "GeocoinPirate"

(2) The cacher appears to clearly know what a discovery log so I would not be so sure that this a newbie newbie;

(3) The only action on this account appears to be the retrieval of this travel bug (not a coin BTW). The find or visit to the cache has not been logged, at least yet;

(4) The language in the log seems to imply some knowledge of how things are done and the implied intent of the person.

I am struggling to see how this is a misunderstanding or how that not wanting "discovery logs" is the real issue. Rather I suspect it is being used as a justification for what was planned or has happened.

Anyway for what it was worth I did send an apppropriate email before I posted this note. Just have to wait and see what happens.

Regards

Andrew

This person has been discussed before. They used to have finds and logs of geocoins that were taken.

The logs on the cache and coins/TB's were clear enough that they were stealing the items.

They have apparently deleted all their past logs. You could still send an email about your TB....but it may be gone. I have not heard of the person releasing any of the "booty" to date. Sorry. <_<

Some people just ruin it for everyone. :blink:

G'day

Got this response.

I guess you dont read well. You've done a great injustice to this game by not allowing discovers. Your bug will be held at the bottom of the sea in my booty until you change your ways.

A bounty is out on all your trackables to all pirates world wide to collect as many of your items as possible. Until you learn the mistake taken.

The Pirate

From my basic understanding of fraud which is simliar to this action (another form of stealing), the need to justify one's actions is quite common. So it seems I am the cause of this persons need to steal others property, i.e., trackables. Interesting to experience this phenomena.

I just hope this person gets some real satisfaction out of doing this and the bug brings them great joy because otherwise it is really pretty sad for them.

Regards

Andrew

Edited by Aushiker

Sorry to see your bug in the hands of such a low life POS. Obviously, any bug or coin is at risk of being taken by someone who doesn't know the etiquette involved, but this theft was a deliberate act. As the owner of the bug, you have the ability to edit the bug page and title. If this was mine, I would edit it into a scathing editorial of scumbags in general, and them in particular.

Well,

This subscriber only cache only had two visitors that day, who were together, and of course "The Pirate".

The Pirate is not a premium member, supposedly, so it is obviously a sock puppet account.

I think this narrows it down to three people who most likely are the Pirate.

One of the two visitors, or the person who left it there.

Perhaps using IP addresses, G.C. can figure out who this person is and ban them, prosecute them if possible!

Now, if you are the Pirate reading this, how about just dropping the bug somewhere.

I don't feel the requirements are all that big of a deal. These trackables really enhance the game and to hold one hostage just ain't right. I know you would not one of yours in the same position.

G.C., can you look into this?

PP

Well,

This subscriber only cache only had two visitors that day, who were together, and of course "The Pirate".

The Pirate is not a premium member, supposedly, so it is obviously a sock puppet account.

I think this narrows it down to three people who most likely are the Pirate.

One of the two visitors, or the person who left it there.

That is interesting and sheds some new light on things. Thanks for that. I say this because one of those visitors did have issues with me over the "discovery log" but I thought and I hoped we had resolved that issue amicably.

I will share this with Groundspeak when they get back to me about my concerns.

Regards

Andrew

Edited by Aushiker

G'day

An update: I have received the following from Groundspeak.

Thank you for your email. We have contacted the user regarding this issue. If your Travel Bug is not in a cache by the end of the week, please let me know.

I will leave it till Monday US time and see what happens.

Regards

Andrew

Im a self-proclaimed noob. My very first GPS is on it was as I type. Im trying to follow this post to further understand the etiquette. Could someone please clarify for me the situation?

Here's what I have gleemed so far. Someone has a travelbug. I understand that in the sense of its an object with specific destination goals. In this case to visit all the stargate caches.

The two things that confuse me.

Something about not wanting discovery logs? If you don't have a log of where it was found - how do you know what stargates it has been to?

The second Im confused by is why don't you want this person to discover your travel bug? Or was this person just going to keep it and hang it on a wall = thus preventing it from completing its mission?

Thanks for your time.

ps glad you got your travel bug back.

Something about not wanting discovery logs? If you don't have a log of where it was found - how do you know what stargates it has been to?

In an earlier time, the site features were such that a geocacher could "grab" a travel bug from whatever cache it was in and then "drop" it into another cache. During this time, some travel bugs were taken to events, and several attendees might grab and drop the same travel bug. In the process, some persons might grab the travel bug but might not drop it back, leading to some confusion as to where the travel bug might really be.

And then along came geocoins, which can be grabbed and dropped in the same manner as travel bugs. Since geocoins often have their own unique icon, the practice of grabbing and dropping these items ballooned.

In an effort to simplify matters, the site created the ability to "discover" a travel bug or geocoin, which added the item to a persons found list without putting it into their inventory. Discovering an item does not cause its location to change.

The second Im confused by is why don't you want this person to discover your travel bug?

My assumption is that the owner of the geocoin did not want it taken to events where it might be discovered by multiple persons; instead, the owner wanted it moved from one physical cache to another. My assumption may not be accurate, however.

My assumption is that the owner of the geocoin did not want it taken to events where it might be discovered by multiple persons; instead, the owner wanted it moved from one physical cache to another. My assumption may not be accurate, however.

Your assumption is correct and of course that way I know which Stargates it has visited along with caches.

Regards

Andrew