Newbie question - Is eTrex Legend enough

fletch1027

I am getting into geocaching and the eTrex Legend looks to be around my affordability range as well as in stock in my area.

Question I pose is I am wondering if that is a good enough unit? Going by the Garmin website, it doesn't list the Legend in its Geocaching buying guide.

As opposed to going by Garmin's marketing dept., I wanted to pose the question to ya'll. Is the Legend good enough to get started with and if so, how long until I possibly "outgrow" it?

Thanks,

Harry

I am getting into geocaching and the eTrex Legend looks to be around my affordability range as well as in stock in my area.

Question I pose is I am wondering if that is a good enough unit? Going by the Garmin website, it doesn't list the Legend in its Geocaching buying guide.

As opposed to going by Garmin's marketing dept., I wanted to pose the question to ya'll. Is the Legend good enough to get started with and if so, how long until I possibly "outgrow" it?

Thanks,

Harry

The Legend will work perfectly well for geocaching. One thing I've noticed here is the number of problems with the fancier gps units that the cheaper ones don't have. I use an eXplorist 200 and never have any trouble with it.

Good Luck,

Ray

Legend is fine. I'd probably hang around the garage sale forum and try to pick one up for $100 or a bit less.

Harry

I wouldn't!!!

Why? B&W vs Color and Memory

Use this Comparison Tool to compare the Legend to the lowest cost Cx, Color and user replacable memory. The Venture Cx.

Color is much easier to read, even in sunlight, than B&W and the Legend has only 8MB of memory, my Cx has a 1GB SD card which cost $19.

Happy Hunting

Hermit

Thanks,

Harry

The Legend will work perfectly well for geocaching. One thing I've noticed here is the number of problems with the fancier gps units that the cheaper ones don't have. I use an eXplorist 200 and never have any trouble with it.

Good Luck,

Ray

Thanks,

Harry

Good Luck,

Ray

Get the Legend. It has a very sharp screen, much better than a Magellan. I had both and returned the Magellan because of the low res screen. You can get a Legend at Walmart for $150 and always be able to take it back if you don't like it.

Edited by Tweedler

Hi Fletch1027

Another opinoin and we all know how opinoins are.

Most any GPSr will get you to where you want to go (a cache). So the real question is how may luxuries do you want inorder to get there and are those luxuries worth the cost. I did some checking just now and a new Legend can be bought on PriceGrabber.com for $99.00. This gets you 8 MB of memory, since Geocaching is your primary reason for buying, I also checked on Garmin U.S. Topo Maps software and you could upload all topo maps from Atlanta North only in GA = 7.95 MB (not much by todays standard but will work). If memory serves me correct the Legend uses a cable with a Garmin proprietary end for the GPSr connection to a PC Serial Port connection ***problem to watch for, not all new computers have the required Serial Port with the popularity of USB connections now; you may have to buy a USB to Serial Port Adaptor to be able to load info. from your computer to the GPSr if your computer doesn't have the Serial Port***.

As far as your question of outgrowing it? If your using it around others with color and removable memory cards and they are doing auto-routing around Atlanta with their GPSr; in a very short time you may wish you had spent a little more money and gotten something more in line with Venture Cx. I did a quick look on Amazon and prices look to be around $179 for the Venture Cx. When you go to the Color etrex line you are also getting alot more improvements in the GPSr. To many to name here, but just for starters: quicker cold strart, less dropped satellite signals, longer battery life, easier display to read, and USB computer connection are just a few.

Only you can decide if the addtional cost is worth it, but maybe I've given you some more things to consider in making your decision.

Good Luck.

Edited by eaparks

His question was "Is the Legend enough". The definite answer is YES. Not only that, keep an eye out on ebay. you can pick up a BRAND NEW LEGEND ADVENTURE PACK for $125 shipped...this includes Topo USA mapping software cd set, data cable, power cable, instructional video, and case. A great deal. And brand new, unopened. If you are not sure about how to use ebay, just let me know through a PM and I can show you a couple of reputable dealers who you can deal with. Another great deal is a refurbished Legend C for $120. Don't be afraid of refurbished units, as they go through a more rigorous testing than a brand new model, and are refurbished to new condition. I can show you where to get one of those as well. I have bought one of each of the above mentioned and am more than happy with both. The only thing about the Legend C is that you don't get the mapping software that you will with the regular legend. However, I can help you there too!! Good luck with your search.

One more thing, if you intend to get the Legend Adventure Pack, be careful, as there are 2 different packages. One of them does NOT contain the mapping software, so avoid that one.

Edited by GreatCanadian

I have had the Legend for a few years now. It's worked well enough. I'm currently thinking of getting a new gps. A few things that bug me about the Legend are the b/w screen and it's sluggish operation when doing some things like zooming in or out of a map and slow (to me) in acquiring the satellites.