Cacher of the Month January 2007

adambro

The Cacher of the Month website is accepting entries for the month of January 2007.

This months marks a year since I started looking after CotM. I'd appreciate any feedback as to how you think its gone, and also any suggestions as to what I could improve or add to the website.

I did promise a forgotten password function but this has yet to appear. This is mostly because resetting a password is quite a straightforward procedure for me to do. Its still something I'd like to do though when time permits. Can anyone remember anything else I've not done that I intended to?

Due to a change of web server and database server, the website has been offline for the last 24 hours or so. Apologies if this has caused any inconvenience. I had to update the website to account for the changes. I have hopefully got everything working again but would appreciate it if you contact me if you notice anything odd.

It probably wasn't possible to submit your results via the website during the period whilst most of it wasn't working but just in case; if you submitted results between 23:00 on the 5th and 20:00 on the 7th, you'll have to try it again. Sorry.

Regards,

Adam

I did promise a forgotten password function but this has yet to appear. This is mostly because resetting a password is quite a straightforward procedure for me to do. Its still something I'd like to do though when time permits. Can anyone remember anything else I've not done that I intended to?

I think the site is working great, and also saves Deego a lot of manual work. :D<_<:)

I think you had said you would implement something so that it could remember your login details??

I've had two months without a find! Very poor. I've had plenty of chances to cache as well, I've been all over the UK. Just not happened. Hopefully do some this month though!

Anyway, thanks for the reminder Haggis Hunter, I did indeed say I'd do that. I'll put it on the list.

I'd appreciate any feedback as to how you think its gone, and also any suggestions as to what I could improve or add to the website.

No complaints here! I think it's amazing how people like yourself devote so much time and resource to the benefit of fellow cachers. Well done.

A general question, and I am not sure I can explain this well. As stats are available to pull off the GC site (I assume?), is it possible to automate COTM reporting? thus once a cacher 'subscribes' to COTM his/her stats would be automatically updated without any input from the cacher or yourself? Just a thought <_<

Jon

Dangerous things, assumptions ;-) Such activity is explicitly excluded by the Groundspeak T&Cs.

If GeocacheUK.com get their stats from Groundspeak (I won't assume this <_<, but their site does state they are officially recognised by Groundspeak and GC.com) then wouldn't they allow COTM the same privilege?

I am only thinking aloud here but it would make sense. A bonus might be more accurate figures too?

Jon

What about non-UK/member only cache finds?

Non UK - As stated by Deego

Cacher of the Month was started by Deego to encourage some friendly competition between UK geocachers.

Member only - Member only caches wouldn't have been found by non-members so wouldn't have been included in the figures anyway?

CoTM could grab cache finds from G:UK?

Isn't that a possibility?

Jon

Non UK caches have always been included in COTM, the only restriction is that the cacher is a UK cacher.

Even if the cache stats could be automated, how do you propose the TBs stats are automated.? Surely there's no point in automating one without the other.

T

Edit to add: I'm sure Stuey, Wadders and Cachemad would be ecstatic if we changed the rules overnight to exclude non-UK caches.

Edited by Pengy&Tigger
and then you'd still have to connect to the Trigpointing site, for those that bag trigs.

Yes, not impossible surely?

Can't anyone give me some encouragement here?

My suggestion/idea was only a topic for discussion but appears to have little positive input yet.

How about some constructive comment... wouldn't it be a good development? Y/N

Jon

Following Haggis Hunter's reminder that I still hadn't sorted out a way of remember login details, I've got down to work and think it should be working now. Just a simple checkbox to remember your login details, which works by placing a cookie on your computer.

It should mean that you don't need to remember your login details unless you don't visit the website for over 2 months.

As always, anyone who has any problems is asked to let me know.

Had such a .... month, can't even enter :huh:

Well you found 1, you can still enter that so it keeps your personal stats up to date!

Doh ... can't see for looking :laughing:

Got some trigs too that I forgot about - not a good month for my memory

Bad month for me too, 0 finds, 4 TBs and a cache placed... Not many trigs in London, and my transport and time is limited. The half a cache noted in my sig is for a replaced muggled one...