Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Muddy and Amused

forum rules help

Brand new to the Groundspeak forums. I am having trouble fidning the rules for posts. I am looking for a place to sell my HAM base unit. Before I post it here I just wanted to ask you readers if its allowed? Where do I find the forums posted rules? Please help.

-muddy

Brand new to the Groundspeak forums. I am having trouble fidning the rules for posts. I am looking for a place to sell my HAM base unit. Before I post it here I just wanted to ask you readers if its allowed? Where do I find the forums posted rules? Please help.

-muddy

Go to the Groundspeak banner on the page you are looking at now, and click on "Read the Forum Guidelines".

You will find:

"Commercial Postings/Solicitations are not allowed. Commercial content as a direct or indirect (either intentional or non-intentional) attempt to solicit customers through a forum post will be edited or deleted. Notwithstanding the above, Groundspeak reserves the right to include limited commercial content in this Forum, in its sole discretion.

Classifieds advertising is permitted in the ‘GPS Garage Sale’ Forum. (Geocaching.com is not involved in these transactions) Abuse of this forum will be not be tolerated."

I don't know if ham gear would be geocaching related, and might not be allowed in the GPS garage Sale. There is a post at the top of that forum with additional guidelines.

Dave_W6DPS

Edited by Dave_W6DPS

Technically Dave's post above is correct. However, ham gear isn't of much interest to most cachers, and the cachers that would be interested in it hang in this forum. As long as it's not a commercial sale I don't see a problem with listing an occasional piece of ham or APRS gear here. If it becomes a problem in the future this may change.

-muddy

I am just learning about geocaching, but as the XYL (wife) of a long-time ham, I'd suggest you list your ham gear on eBay or GTH.com

-muddy

I am just learning about geocaching, but as the XYL (wife) of a long-time ham, I'd suggest you list your ham gear on eBay or GTH.com

GTH.com doesnt seem to exist...server down maybe? I tried ebay already, they wont let anyone sell this type of HAM rig on there because it contains the CB channels at the same wattage as the HAM. I also paid $40.00 already to run it for a week in the local newspaper...i didnt even get a singal call from that. Im not sure where to sell/advertise it.

I tried ebay already, they wont let anyone sell this type of HAM rig on there because it contains the CB channels at the same wattage as the HAM.

That doesn't make sense. Almost any ham radio that covers 10m can be modded to cover 11m as well.

Something more to this story?

I tried ebay already, they wont let anyone sell this type of HAM rig on there because it contains the CB channels at the same wattage as the HAM.

That doesn't make sense. Almost any ham radio that covers 10m can be modded to cover 11m as well.

Something more to this story?

I put it on ebay, they took it off. I did look it up and found that they do not allow postings of this particular model. Its a Galaxy DX88HL mobil, new in the box, never modded. Heres a copy and paste from ebays page "Low power radio transmitting devices and related equipment: Devices that transmit radio signals on the AM or FM bands are regulated by the FCC. This includes restrictions on the range of such devices. On FM frequencies, these low power devices are limited to an effective service range of approximately 35 to 100 feet (11-to-30 meters). On the AM broadcast band, these devices are limited to an effective service range of approximately 200-to-250 feet (61 to 76 meters). eBay does not permit the listing of devices that claim or suggest a more extensive range, as such items may violate these regulations." Basically anthing that comes factory with CB channels at more then the FCC permitted wattage (I believe its 7 but not sure about that) ebay wont allow it to be listed. I, not knowning this, listed it on ebay, they took it down the next day and sent me a warning letter. Heres the link to see the above quote on ebays help pages...

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/electronics.html

In Other words, this particular item number is on eBays black list.

Edited by Muddy and Amused

... Basically anthing that comes factory with CB channels at more then the FCC permitted wattage (I believe its 7 but not sure about that) ebay wont allow it to be listed. I, not knowning this, listed it on ebay, they took it down the next day and sent me a warning letter...In Other words, this particular item number is on eBays black list.

Ebay has been warned of fines by the FCC for allowing sale of tranceivers like this model, and agreed to a policy of closely monitoring sales of transmitting equipment to ensure that no obviously illegal items are offered on their site. This radio is not FCC certified for sale in the US, and Ebay can be cited and fined--along with you--for offering such a device for sale.

There is almost no enforcement action against individuals for this type of violation, but the FCC does enforce the regs more often with regard to businesses. Since Ebay is very visible, the FCC has been quite vigilent in dealing with them.

They have also cited and fined a number of truckstop dealers for selling this type of equipment, although they rarely, if ever, spend any resouces investigating truckers who use illegal radios.

Whether they would take notice of Groundspeak allowing such a radio to be listed is hard to say.

Dave_W6DPS