"Needs Maintenance" attribute icon

NinjaCacher!

Hi,

I'm new to geocaching but looks like I'm getting addicted already... :P

Just something I noted on the website - the icon used for attribute "Needs Maintenance" on cache details pages is not actually a first aid sign (red cross on white ground, or white cross on green ground) sign but the Swiss flag (white cross on red ground) :P - being from Switzerland this quite confuses me :huh:

Current icon:

firstaid-yes.gif

Sample cache in "Needs Maintenance" state: GCMXPF

Some random first aid icons from web:

Red_Cross_small.jpgGreen-first-aid-cross-sign.gif

Cheers

Luzian

Just something I noted on the website - the icon used for attribute "Needs Maintenance" on cache details pages is not actually a first aid sign (red cross on white ground, or white cross on green ground) sign but the Swiss flag (white cross on red ground) :huh: - being from Switzerland this quite confuses me :P

I seem to remember a discussion about this issue once. I think the reason given for not using the red cross on a white background for "Needs Maintenance" had to do with potential legal issues related to the use of an icon owned by the American Red Cross.

Just something I noted on the website - the icon used for attribute "Needs Maintenance" on cache details pages is not actually a first aid sign (red cross on white ground, or white cross on green ground) sign but the Swiss flag (white cross on red ground) :P - being from Switzerland this quite confuses me :P

I seem to remember a discussion about this issue once. I think the reason given for not using the red cross on a white background for "Needs Maintenance" had to do with potential legal issues related to the use of an icon owned by the American Red Cross.

We should use the green cross. This is geocaching, after all. :huh:

Edit: Green on white. Is that taken?

Edited by Gecko1

Just something I noted on the website - the icon used for attribute "Needs Maintenance" on cache details pages is not actually a first aid sign (red cross on white ground, or white cross on green ground) sign but the Swiss flag (white cross on red ground) :P - being from Switzerland this quite confuses me :P

We should use the green cross. This is geocaching, after all. :huh:

Edit: Green on white. Is that taken?

That's already being used when the owner posts a 'performed maintanance' log.

Just something I noted on the website - the icon used for attribute "Needs Maintenance" on cache details pages is not actually a first aid sign (red cross on white ground, or white cross on green ground) sign but the Swiss flag (white cross on red ground) :huh: - being from Switzerland this quite confuses me :huh:

How can the American Red Cross own an international symbol?

Just something I noted on the website - the icon used for attribute "Needs Maintenance" on cache details pages is not actually a first aid sign (red cross on white ground, or white cross on green ground) sign but the Swiss flag (white cross on red ground) :huh: - being from Switzerland this quite confuses me :huh:

How can the American Red Cross own an international symbol?

I am a blood donor, but lack the credentials or the knowledge to respond to your question from a legal perspective. But I did find the following on the American Red Cross web site:

Trademark Information

The Greek Red Cross emblem and the American Red Cross name are federally protected marks of The American National Red Cross (see United States Code, Title 18, Section 706).

Someone might see an international symbol for first aid and go to the area of that cache if they are injured and expect to be able to get help. Both the red cross with the white background and the white cross with a green background are internationaly recognized as first aid. GC.com probably made their need's maintenance symbol so it is similar but not the same symbol. That's just my guess. Take it for what it's worth.