Using Photographs in Cache Seeking?

MtnHermit

I placed a multi-level cache today. I want to make a photo part of the clue string to find the final cache.

More Details:

I placed the first cache, it has a log and note inside providing coordinates to the second cache locale but not the actual cache. How, I want to introduce a photo, go to the photo [the photo will be available for DL from GeoCache.com, I hope]. From the photo location, I will have a bearing and distance to the actual second cache.

Too complicated? Any comments, thoughts, suggestions, questions?

Thanks

Hermit

Moderator Help, Please delete original post, there is no body, why?

Just remember that GPS use has to be an integral part of the cache hunt.
No worry, the first cache is at least a mile and 500 vertical feet from the road with no trail and serious bouldering/bushwacking, no way you're going to find it w/o a GPS. The second requires the coordinates from the first and is harder. :huh:

The photo is only intended to break up offset distance and headings, otherwise it's too easy.

Hermit

I have a cache like that. Seekers have to find the places in the photos. Stand in the spot where the pic was taken and mark the coordinates. The distance to the final container is listed for each photo.

It doesn't get a lot of traffic.

I also have a cache similar to that, which also doesn't get a lot of traffic.

Edited by ThePropers
I have a cache like that. Seekers have to find the places in the photos. Stand in the spot where the pic was taken and mark the coordinates. The distance to the final container is listed for each photo.

It doesn't get a lot of traffic.

I see what you mean. Now, is it the root location of the cache or the hassle of dealing with the photos? One of your cache finders appreciated the effort you made and was pleased.

Different strokes, different folks.

In my cache, I'm expecting no more than a half-dozen finds per year due to the extreme difficultly of getting there.

Thanks

Hermit

I had one where I placed small photos in micro containers around a park. The photos were of a track on my GPS, indicating how I arrived at the current stage from the next stage. I made sure the tracks included hints like sharp turns and going around obstacles. The track disappeared in one where it crossed a covered bridge.

The GPS requirement was satisfied by the on-page coordinates to the first container. If they so chose, finders could also use their GPS to recreate my track.

I have one that uses some old postcards of the main street of a town. You have to find the aproximate spot from where each photo was taken, and get a clue at each one that will give you the coords for the cache.

I had a great time placing it. It was a challenge figuring out where some photos were taken as things have changed a lot, but others were remarkably the same even 100 years later.

Boonton Then and Now

Too complicated? Any comments, thoughts, suggestions, questions?

Photos don't work well for paperless cachers. Since there are a lot of photo-less caches around, I tend to ignore those which require the extra effort of priniting out a photo.

Edit: But if the cache is multi-leg anyway, there's a way to avoid this issue: Put photo printouts into one of the earlier stages.

Edited by eigengott
Photos don't work well for paperless cachers.
If you carry a digital camera, it would be easy to load the photo on the memory card and view/zoom it on the DC.

Edit: But if the cache is multi-leg anyway, there's a way to avoid this issue: Put photo printouts into one of the earlier stages.
I don't carry a photo printer on cache placements and in this instance it would have been an hours hike back to the first cache from where the photo was taken.

Thanks for the feedback.

Hermit

I've seen several variations on photo caches. Just remember that GPS use has to be an integral part of the cache hunt.

Oops I guess then they're all illegal!!!! :rolleyes:

Photos can be easily be worked into a cache along with GPS use. See the example in my previous thread.

No Brian you missed my point and smiley... I meant all caches, not just photo caches. At least I've never done one yet that required a GPS as a part of the search.