What do you like to find in caches?

redtj

Howdy! I need YOUR help! I am hiding a LARGE cache this week in a 30mm ammo can and need some ideas for the original contents! I am thinking about putting in a mag lite as a FTF gift but I need some ideas for the remainder of the original contents. What do you like to find in caches? I like to find geocaching related stuff like batteries, rain wear, official GC stickers, TBs, coins, CITO stuff, and bug spray. I do not like to find too many stuffed animals, McToys, or really cheap matchbox cars. I know i am putting in some film cans and other various micro stuff and maybe another ammo can. What do YOU want to find in my cache?

I like to find patches, pins (anything I can attach to my backpack), signature items, anything handy for geocaching, TBs, geocoins.

I don't like to find garbage, dirty used items and things a person stuck in there because they don't want it. If you consider it garbage, everyone else probably does too.

What do YOU want to find in my cache?

Not sure how cold it normally gets there, but those $0.99 individual hand warmer packs (usually found in the hunting section of a sprting goods store) come in handy and are really appreciated on a long hike on a cold, wet day. <_<

*edited cuz I can't proofread well.

Edited by The Vargman

Yeah, i was gonna say a log book. I think pencils are almost always better than pens.

I always try and leave one of these in every cache I visit.

geopencil5zb.jpg

Not sure how cold it normally gets there, but those $0.99 individual hand warmer packs (usually found in the hunting section of a sprting goods store) come in handy and a really appreciated on a long hike on a cold, wet day. <_<

Along the same lines. A couple of times in the summer I've been really happy to find the individual packs of mosquito repellent. Other than that I have a signature button I leave and I like finding other peoples sig items.

What we would like to find and what you put in, is not always the same.... You could stock it FULL of great caching goodies, and within 20 finds, it will be depleted. SO Sad, but true. The only hope is to place a full stocked cache out of the ways where only the diehard cachers would get to. At least then you weed out the driveby quicky type that grab and go.

So my advise, it really depends on the area and type of caching members you want to find it.

I don't look anymore... although one did have a really nice sports watch, but I don't wear a watch. An MP3 player would be sweet, but prolly not gonna happen. (Maybe as a FTF prize since they've gotten down in price.)

I'll be setting a cache later this spring and plan to stock it w/ some cool schwag (dvds, cd player, sports radio, mp3 player, digital camera) - of course they'll all be of the ~$20 variety but it'll still take me a while to gather that much loot w/out breaking the bank.

Anything thats useful outdoors, i like to put flashlights, tools, keychains, compasses and even those cheapy rain poncho's. You never know when something may happen and one of those items may come in hand. carry extra pencils, logbooks and small baggies just in case a little maintenance is needed.

I really like the personal items. I am getting my kids to make some beaded zipper pulls and lanyards with a signature bead to put on them. I also have access to a laser engraver that I engrave some metal tags and put then on some of my items.

The personal touch is always best cause I can go buy stuff at the dollar store myself but I can't make it one of your personalized items.

Come on people here is your chance to make a mark on the world even if its just a little beaded art or a wooden coin. I appreciate it and it will mean something to the both of us. I really get a kick out of seeing in the logs that someone has taken one of my personal items cause that gives us a bit of a connection.

I have way more kids than most and live on a modest income so I know that it is possible to make others in the hobby happy with items costing less than a dollar.

Happy caching <_<

Hey redtj....sounds like a nice cache you are fixing to hide! Is it going to be near Portland? PLEASE OH PLEASE!!!!!!

Anyway...things that turn me on would be geo-stuff like cache stickers or unactivated geocoins or unopened nice things from Dollar General.

Things I don't like would be pure junk that one finds around their house. If you are wanting to hide a quality cache, try to provide stuff that hasn't been opened yet.

I know a lot of people don't like the happy meal stuff, but a lot of kids do, so I say keep that stuff in the caches, besides, they have become "collectible toys" and some are worth quite a bit. Personally, I like unique and unusual stuff. Like others have mentioned, I like a like of personally made things, too. I also like foreign money, geocoins, and TBs, too.

I'm getting ready to place a cache relating to Boy Scouts ( my older son is an Eagle Scout and the younger one is working on his Bear Scout) because it is the 100th birthday of scouting this year and I am putting in camping supplies, geocoins, a TB, and some pins. I wanted one of those Boy Scout knife geocoins, but I can't seem to pick one up, so I am putting in another regular scout geocoin. If anyone has any suggestions for this cache, feel free to email me.

I never even look at the swaps (though my son does while I'm filling the log out). Most times he just find junk. It always seems a pointless part of the game to me (TB's and geocoins excluded as they aren't tradable items anyway), though I can see the appeal for kids.

I did once swap an item. It was a plastic case that held 4xAA batteries. Very cheap and very useful. :rolleyes:

I like anything out of the ordinary, I got a mini Jack and the Beanstock book with pics- it was only 1.5 inches and very old. Compasses and glowsticks are cool. Anything hand made - I got a silly little ball maze, but on the back was writin by a little kid, the Date placed and the cache name and his name-I liked it!

Old keychains, pins or magnets are neat to see too. I also like signature items, foreign coins and money or anything that may be a souvinier from a place (like G.G. Bridge smashed penny or coin purse or somethin).

Ive got a Vintage electric shaver and a horseshoe in one of my caches.

add logsheets to the micro stuff to make them read-to-hide. Since the cache is fairly large, put in a fully stocked ready-to-hide small, maybe even two.

I put log sheets/books in all the small (lock-n-lock) and most of the micros that I put inside larger caches. All you have to do is put your name on the log and hide it! But this cache is gonna be so large I am putting in like 50 film cans. Sorry but you're gonna have to make your own logs for them, but there are some waterproof candy-tin micros that will have logs inside!

I cache as an entire family and got so tired of the stuffed animals that the youngest kid always wanted to take, and the McDonalds toys stuff that I decided I wanted to come up with an item that we could leave that would be interesting and unique. I wanted to come up with an item that cost under a buck, but also wasn't junky so that someone would choose my item from the cache.

For the last 6 months we've been leaving Geocaching Silver Bullets and have really enjoyed reading the messages we've been getting from others who get them. Originally, our idea was to have an item that we would leave ourselves, however after getting emails and PM's from folks who find them and want them, we've been shipping them to other Geocachers all over the US both through Ebay and from direct sales. It's been a great family project knowing the items are potentially being placed in caches around the world.

I really like the idea of leaving something unique and that you'd think others will hold as a valued rembrence of the cache.

I might post pictures of the items in the Garage sale section rather than clutter this thread with the bullet so if anyone finds one you'll recongize it.

Edited by RV_Campers

I collect shot glasses, so anytime I find one of those I trade. I also like sig items; I usually leave those there because some are really cool and I want others to be able to see them.

I collect shot glasses too - got probably 100 or more of them - wouldn't part with my collected ones but I could put some out there if I bought them "for" caching :P

I'm starting to collect pins too, on my geocaching bag - need to buy some to trade :P

Jenn

A nice dry log book with a working pen or a penicle with a sharpener.

FTF are always nice.

I like to see souvenairs and other neat little things.

I also like travel bugs and geocoins and read about their history and missions.

I hate dirty old crap and I'm sick of seeing marbles.

When I take something, I like to leave something just as nice. I hate it when people take the good items and leaves garbage. And for god sake, leaves your marbles at home.

I think everyone who caches should take the trade items more seriously and leave out stuff no-one would want. Be proud of what you put in there and let it reflect who you are in this game. A treasure hunt is just that and the worst I would want to hear from a finder would be something like - I don't need any of this stuff but i'm sure others will be delighted.

As far as the cache goes - take me somewhere really neat.

Each person could clean up the cache alittle on each find and make a joy to find. I have seen alot of cachers make corrections and that a really good thing.

The young should be supervised for inappropriate items that might cut them and taught to respect the contents. Adults should replace the lid properly 100% of the time, without question and never ever get it wrong. Ever Ever Ever Ever!

Howdy! I need YOUR help! I am hiding a LARGE cache this week in a 30mm ammo can and need some ideas for the original contents! I am thinking about putting in a mag lite as a FTF gift but I need some ideas for the remainder of the original contents. What do you like to find in caches? I like to find geocaching related stuff like batteries, rain wear, official GC stickers, TBs, coins, CITO stuff, and bug spray. I do not like to find too many stuffed animals, McToys, or really cheap matchbox cars. I know i am putting in some film cans and other various micro stuff and maybe another ammo can. What do YOU want to find in my cache?

Dry Log Book...

I say dry and clean. I hate the moldy mildewy stuff that stinks and doesn't get taken care of. I figure one man's trash is another man's treasure. My son loves to find new kid's meal toys still in their wrapper and he loves the plastic snakes, bugs and anything else to scare grandma. I leave a variety of things. Mostly things I steal from people's desks at work (haha) - shot glasses (I've left many as a few coworkers got tired of their collection). Military stuff - I'm sick of it, but others enjoy it (military coins, patches, medals). It all depends on the size of the cache and what I have on hand. If I find a container kind of empty, I will fill it to the top with what is on hand. The coolest thing I remember finding was a bill from Iraq with Sadam's face on it. Not a fan - just thought it was cool to have. I love to find gift cards though.

I like the "paper" coasters you can easily get from resturants everywhere. I like the ones with the name of the resturant. Beer and liquor brands are too common. Also, paper "take-out" menus from your favorite place to eat. Both are free to acquire but cool to have around the house.

We haven't been in the sport long, but we agree with a lot of you all. A dry log book, no junk, and no mildew. We like the idea of something personal and have begun to make monkey fist key chains to put in all our finds. After reading everyone's replies, we think we will begin to put them in a small ziploc to keep them dry.

like 2 find coins from differnt countries

hate 2 find coins from this country :P