Man Overboard vs. Mark

Setting Man Overboard will set the mark and automatically point or GOTO that mark, directing you back to that location.

I guess that's for like one of those container ships that takes 10 miles to stop? If I fell overboard, everyone would have their GPS turned off. By the time they got a sat lock, they'd say "Oh, well, we tried!"

It's handy when looking for a FTF with another person. You ask to see where their gps is pointing and casually grasp the gps to tilt the screen towards you, pressing the man overboard button. It resets the GOTO without them knowing it. Well, at least for a while.

Edited by BlueDeuce
It's handy when looking for a FTF with another person. You ask to see where their gps is pointing and casually grasp the gps to tilt the screen towards you, pressing the man overboard button. It resets the GOTO without them knowing it. Well, at least for a while.
Now that's just mean.

About the only use I can think of for the MOB function is water skiing. If you start on two skis and decide to drop one to slalom, you can MOB the dropped ski. I don't think people actually ski that way much any more.

Blowboaters need that MOB function. Sailboats dont turn quickly and have trouble doubling back on a track due to various wind conditions. One chunk of ocean looks remarkably similar to any other chunk and you can lose visual contact with a persons head bobbing in the water within a couple of hundred feet. It's probably used more often in retrieving someones hat that's been blown overboard.

I have also used the MOB for salmon fishing. Salmon school and when you get a hit, it's nice to be able to go back over the same spot.

As Piscatore said, the MOB function is EXTREMELY useful to saltwater fishermen.

When trolling for tuna, hitting the MOB when you get a hookup will allow you to nav quickly back to the school after landing the fish.

When drifting for flounder/weakies/stripers/etc, hitting MOB when you get bites will give you a reference point that, in conjunction with displayed tracks, will allow you to shorten your drifts and maximize your catch.

I use my 60cx's MOB all the time when I'm on my skiff, drifting the back bays of NJ for fluke. It allows me to get right back on schooling fish or structure and catch my limit in about 1/5th the time I used to spend. Saves me $$$ on fuel, bait, and lost tackle.

On a side note, to those boaters out there with autohelms, check the "off course" limits of your helm unit, and be VERY cautious of hitting MOB while at speed.

Twice, while on the family's 41 Albermarle, MOB was accidentally pressed instead of MARK on our Northstar to mark a wreck we ran over while cruising at 30+ knots.... Unfortunately, the old autohelm didn't seem to mind the sudden 180 degree course change given by the GPSr, and put the rudders to max stardboard... 19 tons of engine, fuel, fiberglass, gear, and crew have a lot of momentum.... And that boat practically corners on a dime... Fortunately no one went overboard, but everyone got tossed around pretty hard, gear that we thought to be secured proved us wrong... many beverages were lost. Not a pretty sight, and made the rest of the day painful as most had some form of sprain from trying to stay onboard.

Just thought I'd share that as the only 'downside' I can see to the MOB function.

Edited by weakfish