Green Gecko and My Precious

Rupert2

After reading the elog , things have cleared up a bit for me .

I think that none of the parties involved intentionally did anything to hurt each other but because of all the hoopla over the cache "Childs Play" things were done that caused others harm.

The Hoopla being those that kept placing sba notes on the page .

I am satisified that the reviewer was just trying to defuse a situation ( weather he did it in the proper manner or not , I am not so sure ).

I am also further convinced that GG/MP did NOT intentionally give false info , and that the puzzle can be solved as it was posted , and the Cache COULD have been found properly.

GG/MP please come back to us ....

MC you done what you thought may help a situation , wrong or right ... you tried to do a good thing.

Its sad that this thing had to go this far , I am sure we can all get past this thing.

Star

MC did not do a thing wrong at all. He asked me to check a cache for him, he is very sick and it would of been too hard and dangerous for him to go out there and do it himself. He made me promise that if he gave me the coords to childs play, I would not log a find and would not give out anything, I did that. At no time was I going to log it as a find. The only reason MC did it at all was to stop all the stuff that was going on on the cache page. Not to make greengecko mad or anything like that. It was just to stop all the stuff so we all could get back to doing what this game is all about. The one thing that i did do wrong was this. I was not going to log it as a find so I thought I would give GreenGecko a nudge or a tree shake, so I sent him the coords I had. MC did not just randomly give out the coords to whoever, but just one cacher to go check on it. GreenGecko got mad, he does not like me for some reason. He knows himself, but I have never done a thing to him that I know of but never the less he was mad and archived all his caches. I sent him a note and let him know what our intentions were but that did not seem to help. I think that this all just got out of control too fast and there was some things that were said that should not of been. Things may of been misunderstood, I have not said a thing before now because MC did not want to add wood to the fire, so I remained silent but its time that I said what went on, there was no foul play just the reviewer doing his job the best he could.

Alot of you know me and if you would like to call or e-mail me, I'm here and will be glad to talk to you all.

Ed the Doobies

MC did not do a thing wrong at all. He asked me to check a cache for him, he is very sick and it would of been too hard and dangerous for him to go out there and do it himself. He made me promise that if he gave me the coords to childs play, I would not log a find and would not give out anything, I did that. At no time was I going to log it as a find. The only reason MC did it at all was to stop all the stuff that was going on on the cache page. Not to make greengecko mad or anything like that. It was just to stop all the stuff so we all could get back to doing what this game is all about. The one thing that i did do wrong was this. I was not going to log it as a find so I thought I would give GreenGecko a nudge or a tree shake, so I sent him the coords I had. MC did not just randomly give out the coords to whoever, but just one cacher to go check on it. GreenGecko got mad, he does not like me for some reason. He knows himself, but I have never done a thing to him that I know of but never the less he was mad and archived all his caches. I sent him a note and let him know what our intentions were but that did not seem to help. I think that this all just got out of control too fast and there was some things that were said that should not of been. Things may of been misunderstood, I have not said a thing before now because MC did not want to add wood to the fire, so I remained silent but its time that I said what went on, there was no foul play just the reviewer doing his job the best he could.

Alot of you know me and if you would like to call or e-mail me, I'm here and will be glad to talk to you all.

Ed the Doobies

Ed, you're a good American!

:rolleyes:

I might have been the one that started this whole thing on the various forums with an innocent question in another topic. For some time I've been watching what was going on, both before and after the cache was retracted. I now tend to favour the verdict that this is a series of unfortunate events that blew out of proportion. Mountain Climber, green gecko, and doobies all have my respect. It's unfortunate that it came to this abysmal conclusion.

There are hurt feelings on several fronts. I read from green gecko's elog on his website that he harbours no ill feelings, but he must have some reason for preferring to have his caches remain archived. From my perspective as a puzzle cacher, I am rather saddened that this affair even occurred as there are puzzle caches that I'll no longer have a chance to search for. I respect and even understand GG's position as I might do the same under similar circumstances. I simply hope that this does not occur again and hope for the day that my precious emerges from his shadowy lair to confound us once again. :)

I might have been the one that started this whole thing on the various forums with an innocent question in another topic. For some time I've been watching what was going on, both before and after the cache was retracted. I now tend to favour the verdict that this is a series of unfortunate events that blew out of proportion. Mountain Climber, green gecko, and doobies all have my respect. It's unfortunate that it came to this abysmal conclusion.

There are hurt feelings on several fronts. I read from green gecko's elog on his website that he harbours no ill feelings, but he must have some reason for preferring to have his caches remain archived. From my perspective as a puzzle cacher, I am rather saddened that this affair even occurred as there are puzzle caches that I'll no longer have a chance to search for. I respect and even understand GG's position as I might do the same under similar circumstances. I simply hope that this does not occur again and hope for the day that my precious emerges from his shadowy lair to confound us once again. :)

Can I get an "Amen!"

Ed the Doobies

But...but...I still love ya Ed. :)

Even if I actually had bad dreams about this last night...I SWEAR!

doobies, you have my respect for owning your part in this. Thanks.

We have a series a mistakes, poor to no communication, and horrible fallout. It was a shame that even after the initial incident gg felt he had to tell the entire story because there was still no communication.

I hope we all can learn something from this. The price we paid was high.

doobies, you have my respect for owning your part in this. Thanks.

We have a series a mistakes, poor to no communication, and horrible fallout. It was a shame that even after the initial incident gg felt he had to tell the entire story because there was still no communication.

I hope we all can learn something from this. The price we paid was high.

Wondered how long it would be before the Voice of Reason would rear its ugly head!

Unfortunately there seems to be even more "fallout" from this. I noticed in my GSAK change logs another cacher doing a 'mass archive" of sorts in which he stated

I am also protesting the fact that the local reviewer MIGHT be engaging in an unethical practice of issuing Coords to personal compatriots

Skullzandbones archived cache link

Rumors are a very UGLY thing.

Unfortunately there seems to be even more "fallout" from this. I noticed in my GSAK change logs another cacher doing a 'mass archive" of sorts in which he stated

I am also protesting the fact that the local reviewer MIGHT be engaging in an unethical practice of issuing Coords to personal compatriots

Skullzandbones archived cache link

Rumors are a very UGLY thing.

From what I read, the main reason that he is archiving them all is due to National Security. We all know how critical the Wabash area is when it comes to the overall safety of this great nation of ours! :unsure:

It is interesting what people focus on when reading skullznbones reasons. As far as I can tell they seem to break down into three parts. At the risk of cutting away too much from his comments, here is the bulleted version.

1) Due to ... Home Land Security, I am disabling [urban] caches .... [because of] suspicion of foul play.

2) ... protesting ... that the local reviewer MIGHT be ... issuing Coords to personal compatriots ...

3) ... promoting quality caches ... Saturation caching ... achieves nothing.

Three reasons. And which is most important? I'd choose #3 myself (promote quality caches) but that is just my bias.

It is interesting what people focus on when reading skullznbones reasons. As far as I can tell they seem to break down into three parts. At the risk of cutting away too much from his comments, here is the bulleted version.

1) Due to ... Home Land Security, I am disabling [urban] caches .... [because of] suspicion of foul play.

2) ... protesting ... that the local reviewer MIGHT be ... issuing Coords to personal compatriots ...

Three reasons. And which is most important? I'd choose #3 myself (promote quality caches) but that is just my bias.

Doesn't this basically say that the caches placed were inferior??? If reason #3 is accurate, then why were they placed to begin with??

Just curious.

I found a few, and the ones on water towers concerned me. The others didn't seem inferior, they were at interesting enough locations. Wasn't a walmart parking lot. They were overrated a tad bit for lampposts, but otherwise quality caches.

I was trying to be sarcastic, but it didn't come across that way. I have found a few of them as well. I just really didn't buy into the reasoning for the archival of them in the first place.

QUOTE(RPW @ Feb 15 2007, 03:58 AM)

Three reasons. And which is most important? I'd choose #3 myself (promote quality caches) but that is just my bias

I would agree with archiving the water towers but not any of the other ones. But it's the owner's choice.

with all that is being said about whats a good cache location and what a bad loction I agree with you Doug there are places now that we as cachers should not place anything, but because we now live in a new world, but with that being said," that should not let us stop doing what we do for fun if we stop they win." and now our reviewer have a harder job with the job of making sure that we are placing our caches in good location that is safe for us and all who are not part of geocaching.

Something else to be learned from all of this, is that 'we' as the cache hider, need to think about where we are hiding the cache and then make sure the information we give the reviewer is accurate and if we move the cache we report it to the reviewer so there is no question on whether the cache is actually placed there or not.

Better communication on both sides will help get things moving in the right direction.

Doesn't this basically say that the caches placed were inferior??? If reason #3 is accurate, then why were they placed to begin with??

Just curious.

Because some learn from their mistakes.

This game is in danger if we don't start using some common sense. How many caches need to be blown up by the bomb squad before we get the message? It really doesn't matter if the cache is in New York City or Wabash Indiana, people poking around and being "stealth" creates negative attention. We can hand the police all the geocaching brochures we want to but that is not going to stop them from getting called out by concerned citizens. Guess what happens after the cops get so many geocaching related calls?? They ban geocaching in that area. It happens all the time, just read the articles that are posted right here in these forums. I know that everybody plays this game differently and numbers are important to some. I'm ok with that as long as the "numbers game caches" don't put the sport in jeopardy. Now is the time to start promoting quality.

I perfer caches in the woods over the Urban lamp skirt caches. The hiking, beautiful nature and fresh air makes it so much more fun. IMOH

The Urban caches could all go away and it wouldn't bother me at all.

There are many, many caches we have left because of the placement of them. In our area one of the main ones I can think of is in front of a bank, on the banks front lawn, in front of it's main entrance, on a busy intersection. Just doesn't feel like a place to be 'roaming' around looking for something, even if the cache hider has permission (which he does, he works there).

State parks, local parks, Hiking/ Biking trails, now theres where caching should be IMHO.

I perfer caches in the woods over the Urban lamp skirt caches. The hiking, beautiful nature and fresh air makes it so much more fun. IMOH

The Urban caches could all go away and it wouldn't bother me at all.

There are many, many caches we have left because of the placement of them. In our area one of the main ones I can think of is in front of a bank, on the banks front lawn, in front of it's main entrance, on a busy intersection. Just doesn't feel like a place to be 'roaming' around looking for something, even if the cache hider has permission (which he does, he works there).

State parks, local parks, Hiking/ Biking trails, now theres where caching should be IMHO.

If I'm thinking right It's in LaPorte.

I tried to go after this one around noon on a wednesday.a couple of months back.

I just didn't feel right having everybody looking at me getting in and out of cars and the bank doors. he might as well put it on the door knob of the bank :lol:;):)

Edited by Buddaman

If it's there, i'll probably find it. That said, I don't like high muggle situations. I'd rather they all be at least somewhat secluded. Cemetery caches are great since they're often secluded and you don't look like some sort of bomber looking around there. My favorite leans more toward the hikes, but those have been near impossible lately it seems. If it's not -15 windchill it's a foot of snow.

Te snow per sa is not the trouble as much here as the layer of ice about 6 inches down the will ALMOST hold me up, so every step you break through the crust with a jolt. Walking a quarter mile in this stuff is like walking two miles on solid ground, uphill.

I was doing the same thing at a cache along I-74 about 30 miles south of indy. It was really a pain!