Tools?

Danderson7

On the description several of the cahes close to me, it says something about needing "tools that geo cachers should, but seldom carry"

I'm just curious as to what tools most people take with them when geocaching?

Danderson7

If you are going off the beaten path, a cell phone, a pen or pencil, some water, a bit of food, a partner and of course, let someone know what area you will be in. Some trade items are nice, but not necessary.

Boy oh boy, I am kind of new at this (35 finds, a few can not finds & 2 hides) although I live in the desert I carry a back pack with a still camera, a digital video camera, cell phone, multi tool knife (leatherman), my log book, spare baggies (large & small), trinkets for trading, several pens & pencils, drinking water, Maybe a beer (for celebrating that hard to fing cache), headlamp type flashlight, mirror (for day time reflective lighting) and walking staff for snake protection mostly.

Oh yeah, and of course my GPS.

Geeze, that pack gets heavy at times!

:) too much ya think?

Sharpie

compass

swag

recloseable baggies

extra paper for logs that are soaked

batteries

GPSr

hiking staff

gloves

water

sometimes a new cache just in case I find a neat place to put one

snacks

first aid

hand cleaning towlettes

hat

sig items

I keep meaning to bring tweezers but never do :)

rain gear

On the description several of the cahes close to me, it says something about needing "tools that geo cachers should, but seldom carry"

Danderson7

Based on this description, I'd say a compass. We all should carry one, but we (urban cachers) rarely do.

Danderson7

Based on this description, I'd say a compass. We all should carry one, but we (urban cachers) rarely do.

That's what I'm thinking. I carry one with a sighting mirror to take care of that aspect, as well.

If these caches are micros, then I think the most obvious would be tweezers or similar.

Just keep in mind that you do not need your shovels.....you shouldn't be doing any digging for any caches. If you do, then contact your local reviewer immediately!

How about a snow shovel?

Just about all the caches around here will need to be dug for right now.

I am a newby, but have been adding to my pack as I find a need for new items.

I carry basic items such as snacks, water, map (usually printed from GoogleEarth) ,batteries.

Some items that I have found helpful are :

A Stick to poke around with

Gloves - you never know where you will be sticking your hands!

A dental mirror that I soldered a telescoping handle to.

LED Flashlight

Note Pad & Pen/Pencil

Printed Cache Pages - unless your set up to do paperless caching

Digital Camera - I love vertual Caches and have run into interesting people, places and ideas

Empty Trash bag/s - I pick up as I go down the trail or even in most urban areas I Cache

An assortment of Treasure to place in Caches - I keep a wide assortment, as some Caches really need some exctiement added to them

Compass

If Caching out of an Urban setting I also carryother Hiking basics in my pack.

Just keep in mind that you do not need your shovels.....you shouldn't be doing any digging for any caches. If you do, then contact your local reviewer immediately!

you obviously do not cache in winter conditions.

often not only do you need a shovel, but you need a pick as well. and once i had to loosen a cache by building a fire on it.