PIPE BOMB CACHE?

Go JayBee

Is anybody else confused about the posted picture?? How did Go JayBee get the picture to post when he never found the cache? And if Jayel57 was so frightened by the sight of the cache why did he stick around, dig out his camera and take such a good picture of the offensive cache then send it to his buddy?? The picture posted looks like its PVC while the logs says the cache is rusty which implies metal??

A member of the bomb squad took the picture for Jayel57...she forwarded it to me so I could share it with you all. The easiest way to do that was to add it to the cache's gallery via my note. The container was made of galvanized steel pipe...the bomb squad had to use a robotic "disrupter" to blast the end caps off. In that process, the tree was severely damaged.

And to answer another question about the location: the cache was placed along an old RR right of way which is now a public nature/jogging trail. It is not "in the woods"...

Edited by Go JayBee

Got a frantic phonecall from a close cacher freind this evening concerning THIS CACHE ... hope the link works.

I would really like to hear your response to this...this kind of cache placement cannot be tolerated...

In some of the small circles I run in this person would find themselves part of an old fashion tar ans feathering.Maybe it's not to late.

I just posted this in another thread (probably to be closed soon anyhow) but it appears this would be so much more on topic than over there. How's this for a TB in todays age of bomb scares?

b11cf973-73f0-463d-a636-936fb032b3e7.jpg

Yea this was a bright idea. But at least they stayed away from their first idea to send out to our caches in the form of a TB...

eb8f624a-3859-4e34-ac7b-21e3c811705c.jpg

And THIS TB is allowed on GC. What kind of a black eye would this cause the game? I know common sense should come into play, but apparently not everyone has it.

Criminal has a point, they are just playing it their way. It doesn't affect us does it?

As I said in the other thread, I believe the rather cartoonish looking dynamite stick is the actual TB. The other picture is just a (very ill-conceived) prototype that was not used.

I just posted this in another thread (probably to be closed soon anyhow) but it appears this would be so much more on topic than over there. How's this for a TB in todays age of bomb scares?

b11cf973-73f0-463d-a636-936fb032b3e7.jpg

Yea this was a bright idea. But at least they stayed away from their first idea to send out to our caches in the form of a TB...

eb8f624a-3859-4e34-ac7b-21e3c811705c.jpg

And THIS TB is allowed on GC. What kind of a black eye would this cause the game? I know common sense should come into play, but apparently not everyone has it.

Criminal has a point, they are just playing it their way. It doesn't affect us does it?

As I said in the other thread, I believe the rather cartoonish looking dynamite stick is the actual TB. The other picture is just a (very ill-conceived) prototype that was not used.

Neither one seems to be a particularly good idea.

Well the fake dynamite might not be a particularly good idea, but I wouldn't think it was real if I found it in a cache. However if I found the pipe bomb TB in a cache, I'd be dialing 911.

It's not as much what you would think of it as what the security guard at the local mall thinks when he sees you leaving that strange piece of tupperware there. He comes over to take a peek and sees this through the side of the container. Now what do you think his next step would be? Do you really think he going to laugh it off as being cartoonish or do you think we are going to have another bomb squad calling? Thanks to the thoughtlessness of the owner, we have the potential for an over use of force and another black eye for geocaching in general. All of this could have been avoided with using some basic common sense. Groundspeak should have pulled it when it was at their HQ and explained this to the owner.

Well the fake dynamite might not be a particularly good idea, but I wouldn't think it was real if I found it in a cache. However if I found the pipe bomb TB in a cache, I'd be dialing 911.

It's not as much what you would think of it as what the security guard at the local mall thinks when he sees you leaving that strange piece of tupperware there. He comes over to take a peek and sees this through the side of the container. Now what do you think his next step would be? Do you really think he going to laugh it off as being cartoonish or do you think we are going to have another bomb squad calling? Thanks to the thoughtlessness of the owner, we have the potential for an over use of force and another black eye for geocaching in general. All of this could have been avoided with using some basic common sense. Groundspeak should have pulled it when it was at their HQ and explained this to the owner.

I can't get too worked up over this. There are plenty of items, that when viewed through a semi-transparent container, might be perceived as threatening or dangerous.

Edited by Trinity's Crew

So, that right there would be a 911 call for me. I look for 4 things when I have to run an X-ray machine on occasion. A timing device/trigger, wires, a detonator, and an organic mass of explosive.

The biggest surprise of all was this TB was at Groundspeak HQ! Guess they don't have a secruity check point there.

All of this could have been avoided with using some basic common sense. Groundspeak should have pulled it when it was at their HQ and explained this to the owner.

Yawn. Enough on the tangent with the travel bug that passed through Groundspeak Headquarters. Here are the facts. The dynamite TB was passed from one cacher to another at an open house held that day at Groundspeak. I was the first non-employee to arrive, and one of the last to leave. Never saw the bug. There were dozens of people at the open house. Groundspeak staff were concentrating on meeting everyone, not frisking them for the possible presence of explosives. It was a really nice day.

Most of the security detail was assigned to making sure that Nudecacher stayed in the conference room.

Yawn. Enough on the tangent with the travel bug that passed through Groundspeak Headquarters. Here are the facts. The dynamite TB was passed from one cacher to another at an open house held that day at Groundspeak. I was the first non-employee to arrive, and one of the last to leave. Never saw the bug. There were dozens of people at the open house. Groundspeak staff were concentrating on meeting everyone, not frisking them for the possible presence of explosives. It was a really nice day.

Most of the security detail was assigned to making sure that Nudecacher stayed in the conference room.

Not sure if your yawning was meant as you being tired or just rude.

I guess by your satire of my post you don't see anything wrong with this TB? Am only asking because you never really addressed the meat of the issue which is whether or not this was a good idea and should remain in play.

Is anybody else confused about the posted picture?? How did Go JayBee get the picture to post when he never found the cache? And if Jayel57 was so frightened by the sight of the cache why did he stick around, dig out his camera and take such a good picture of the offensive cache then send it to his buddy?? The picture posted looks like its PVC while the logs says the cache is rusty which implies metal??

Nope, not confused about the picture at all. From what I can see there metal cap set on each end. The threads clearly have some rust with some yellow stuff (some kind of sealer or gasket goop). Take a closer look, if you still think it is PVC, get your eyes checked!

I guess by your satire of my post you don't see anything wrong with this TB? Am only asking because you never really addressed the meat of the issue which is whether or not this was a good idea and should remain in play.

I was addressing your inaccurate tangent, trying to pin Groundspeak personnel for failing to police travel bugs. I am quite sure that nobody from Groundspeak saw the bug, and asked you to stop making a big deal of it. I underscore that request.

I offer no opinion about the bug itself in my capacity as a Groundspeak volunteer. Travel Bugs are not reviewed prior to release the way that geocaches are.

I was addressing your inaccurate tangent, trying to pin Groundspeak personnel for failing to police travel bugs. I am quite sure that nobody from Groundspeak saw the bug, and asked you to stop making a big deal of it. I underscore that request.

I offer no opinion about the bug itself in my capacity as a Groundspeak volunteer. Travel Bugs are not reviewed prior to release the way that geocaches are.

If they didn't see it, then they didn't see it. I am not trying to pin it on them, it is clearly the TB owner's fault. I don't think they should be actively policing TBs either. It would be an impossible mission if they even wanted to do it. People should be smart enough to do that themselves. But when a situation does arrive, either something like this or something forbidden by their guidelines, then they need to step in. I do find it kind of funny that this one passed through the HQ with all these people logging it, yet noone that handled it thought it was a bad idea or thought to ask someone at GS what they thought of it.

Since my name was quoted in your original warning, for the record, I was commenting on the QUITE ACCURATE picture of a simulated explosive device and made NO comments about Groundspeak. :blink:

:P That was the dumbest thing I have ever seen. WHO ON GOD"S GREEN EARTH PLANTS A CACHE THAT LOOKS LIKE A PIPE BOMB. What a moron. :huh: This dude is a dumba**

Generally, we try to take a lighter, more polite tone on these forums than perhaps you are used to on others. No need for insulting outrage.

If they didn't see it, then they didn't see it. I am not trying to pin it on them, it is clearly the TB owner's fault. I don't think they should be actively policing TBs either. It would be an impossible mission if they even wanted to do it. People should be smart enough to do that themselves. But when a situation does arrive, either something like this or something forbidden by their guidelines, then they need to step in. I do find it kind of funny that this one passed through the HQ with all these people logging it, yet noone that handled it thought it was a bad idea or thought to ask someone at GS what they thought of it.

Huh. Stayed as long as Keystone did, mingled a lot, took bunches of pictures, encouraged Nudecacher a bit too much....but never saw that travel bug. :P:huh:

:P That was the dumbest thing I have ever seen. WHO ON GOD"S GREEN EARTH PLANTS A CACHE THAT LOOKS LIKE A PIPE BOMB. What a moron. :P This dude is a dumba**

Generally, we try to take a lighter, more polite tone on these forums than perhaps you are used to on others. No need for insulting outrage.

To tidy that post up and make it more forum appropriate:

"That was one of the less well thought out cache containers that I have ever seen. I'm not clear as to why someone would plant a cache that looks like a pipe bomb. What a ill conceived idea. :huh: This dude's intelligence level is roughly equal to a donkey."

"That was one of the less well thought out cache containers that I have ever seen. I'm not clear as to why someone would plant a cache that looks like a pipe bomb. What a ill conceived idea. :huh: This dude's intelligence level is roughly equal to a donkey."

Color me surprised that you left the personal attack in.

I have found several white PVC caches in an assortment of terrains across three states. A few were spray painted green, one even had bark glued to it. As far as I can recall everyone of them had moisture inside and smelled badly, even one I was FTF on. However, I never made a connection to a "pipe bomb" until one I had found was detonated in Colorado a week after I logged it. The hider had placed it in a tree directly in front of a Deli in a crowded strip mall (not the good kinda strip mind you). The police left there business card hanging in the tree with a note to please refrain from using such containers in the future. Afterwards the owner disabled and replaced all similar caches. Just an example of the positive ramifications of discovery. Both I and the owner learned something, and the hides became much more difficult and clever.

I have found several white PVC caches in an assortment of terrains across three states. A few were spray painted green, one even had bark glued to it. As far as I can recall everyone of them had moisture inside and smelled badly, even one I was FTF on. However, I never made a connection to a "pipe bomb" until one I had found was detonated in Colorado a week after I logged it. The hider had placed it in a tree directly in front of a Deli in a crowded strip mall (not the good kinda strip mind you). The police left there business card hanging in the tree with a note to please refrain from using such containers in the future. Afterwards the owner disabled and replaced all similar caches. Just an example of the positive ramifications of discovery. Both I and the owner learned something, and the hides became much more difficult and clever.
I can't imagine a better police response.

I agree, of course it helps when half the force are cachers themselves. :huh:

I agree, of course it helps when half the force are cachers themselves. :huh:

That, along with hiding caches well, is probably the real solution to avoiding problems.

I must be missing something. A geocacher was looking for, and found a cache at the correct coordinates but thought it was a bomb and called the police?

Granted, I have never liked pvc containers because they might look suspicious to muggles but how suspicious could it have looked to a geocacher when it was at the posted coordinates and there were enough descriptions that would have clued this person into the fact that it might be made of pipe?

"That was one of the less well thought out cache containers that I have ever seen. I'm not clear as to why someone would plant a cache that looks like a pipe bomb. What a ill conceived idea. :D This dude's intelligence level is roughly equal to a donkey."

Color me surprised that you left the personal attack in.

I was a bit suprised at first, until I realized that he was translating it exactly. It's good to have a bit of humor sometimes. <_<

Huh. Stayed as long as Keystone did, mingled a lot, took bunches of pictures, encouraged Nudecacher a bit too much....but never saw that travel bug. <_<:D

Ditto, and me neither. Maybe we needed a security clearance. :D

And here I thought that my platinum membership got me special privileges. :)

I must be missing something. A geocacher was looking for, and found a cache at the correct coordinates but thought it was a bomb and called the police?

I haven't re-read the OP, but I didn't get that impression. I thought the cacher showed up at about the same time as the bomb squad? Maybe? Perhaps I had a brain dead moment when I originally read it. While I can understand the mindless minions thinking a chunk of pipe with no fuse or detonation device could be a bomb, I would hate to think that any cacher would reach this conclusion. I would hate even more for a cacher to call in a bomb report just because they didn't approve of a specific container.

Can anybody clarify this?

I haven't re-read the OP, but I didn't get that impression. I thought the cacher showed up at about the same time as the bomb squad? Maybe? Perhaps I had a brain dead moment when I originally read it. While I can understand the mindless minions thinking a chunk of pipe with no fuse or detonation device could be a bomb, I would hate to think that any cacher would reach this conclusion. I would hate even more for a cacher to call in a bomb report just because they didn't approve of a specific container.

I thought it was clarified in a later post by the OP.

I've read the whole thing and I'm not clear!

Help me out here...

Is it fact that a geocacher went after a geocache,

saw the depicted steel pipe at the posted coordinates,

called the authorities,

had someone on the bomb squad take a picture of it for her,

and

stayed around to watch its disposal,

then

logged and claimed it as a find?

Do I have that right? <_<

Help me out here...

called the authorities,

and

then

Thats how I understood it.

Help me out here...

called the authorities,

and

then

I think that the only things you missed is that the cacher in question is also a retired Oregon State Police Lieutenant and that the issue worked her up so much that she made a 'frantic phonecall' to the OP.

What I don't understand is why a retired LEO/geocacher would jump to the conclusion that the item wasn't a geocache, did not discuss the possibility that it was a geocache with the police that came to check the item out and got so worked up regarding the issue that she was 'frantic', yet still hung around, got the pic, and made the find.

It's almost as if this cache was identified as being in a 'bad' container and a few geocachers decided to make an example out of it and called it in to the authorities.

Help me out here...

called the authorities,

and

then

I think that the only things you missed is that the cacher in question is also a retired Oregon State Police Lieutenant and that the issue worked her up so much that she made a 'frantic phonecall' to the OP.

What I don't understand is why a retired LEO/geocacher would jump to the conclusion that the item wasn't a geocache, did not discuss the possibility that it was a geocache with the police that came to check the item out and got so worked up regarding the issue that she was 'frantic', yet still hung around, got the pic, and made the find.

It's almost as if this cache was identified as being in a 'bad' container and a few geocachers decided to make an example out of it and called it in to the authorities.

I think this incident shows more whats wrong with some people than it does whats wrong with some geocaches. . . . sheesh!

Help me out here...

called the authorities,

and

then

Do I have that right? :)

I think this incident shows more whats wrong with some people than it does whats wrong with some geocaches. . . . sheesh!

The problem with this is that sure, it makes an example of the cache...to the geocaching community. But the damage it does in the media and general public could be irreparable. <_< No excuse if this is the case. :D

Edited by Ambrosia

This reminds me of am article I read, posted on a community geocaching website and linked to somewhere in these forums, about how important it is that we take the time to try and interpret our geocaching actions through the eyes of non-cachers. Basically, what would a non-cacher tend to think if they found this cache? Or, what would a non-cacher tend to think if they saw someone searching for / finding this cache? Does it ring any bells? I'd give it a Markwell if I could find it.

This reminds me of am article I read, posted on a community geocaching website and linked to somewhere in these forums, about how important it is that we take the time to try and interpret our geocaching actions through the eyes of non-cachers. Basically, what would a non-cacher tend to think if they found this cache? Or, what would a non-cacher tend to think if they saw someone searching for / finding this cache? Does it ring any bells? I'd give it a Markwell if I could find it.

The Guidelines for Listing a Cache

The Guidelines for Listing a Cache

Well, sure that. I found what I was looking for though. A pair of articles on the SoCal Geocachers site:

What would you think?

Ready to hide your first geocache?

well I see two people on that cache page who I consider to be real (xxx), neither of which is the cache hider.

the cache is a pipe. I have a ton of pipes in my basement bringing water to my bathrooms, I hope one of those (can't think of proper word) doesn't call them to blow up my house. it's a pipe.

what level of (XXX) does it take to know something is a cache and still cause this much trouble over it? Are these the same people who shut down a city over a few light brites?

I can't say enough bad things about people like the two who did this to this cache, they are what is wrong with the world today, shame on them. shame.

Edited by Bad_CRC

If this is truly the case, then there is a certain retiree that should be facing the music, not the cache hider.

Paranoia is a frightening thing. If Jayel57 thought that that looked like a pipe bomb, I'm glad she's not on my local police force. It was blown up AND in the hand of the PPB Bomb Squad? (How many pieces were let?) And then she had the chutzpah to log a cache when she didn't sign the log? Makes one wonder about the authenticity of her other finds. OP, likewise, seems to demonstrate a lack of common sense. I haven't heard such blatherskite in quite a long time.

From the photo, it does not appear to be a well constructed cache, but I've seen far worse. And it was, obviously, not well hidden. But a pipe bomb? Get real! Let's blow up trees in the wilderness!

On the other hand, I've found a number of caches made of PVC or copper pipe with compression fittings (which is what that cache was missing). Being a geocacher, and having a smattering of common sense, I don't say "Call the police. It looks like a pipe bomb." It's obviously a geocache. Well, obvious to most people hunting for a geocache off in the wilderness. What sort of nincompoop think that terrorists plant pipe bombs, without timers, in the woods to blow up trees, and geocachers?!?

Paranoia is a frightening thing, but can be treated by a professional.