GEOCACHING BANNED IN NH

I was just watching the news and they reported that geocaching has been BANNED in Portsmouth,NH.

This is due to the recent "Mooninite" ads that were mistaken for terrorist activities.

They said that anyone caught placing cache in Portsmouth will face FELONY CHARGES!!!

Can you believe this? :laughing:

:laughing:

What?!?!!?!?!?! :laughing:

Whoa. That sucks.

Yes, if true.

Found this:

ORTSMOUTH, N.H. -- Portsmouth police are investigating two suspicious devices that were placed around town.

The people who found them thought they might be explosives, but as it turned out they were all part of a growing hobby that involves GPS locating -- a sort of adult scavenger hunt.

One of the suspicious packages took the form of a tiny box wrapped in duct tape. It caused quite a stir when someone found it attached to an electrical unit behind Shaw’s Supermarket Sunday.

"Somebody saw somebody go up to the electrical box and attach this, and then get in their car and drive off. And that looked suspicious? Absolutely," said Lt. Thomas McQuade of the Portsmouth police.

A patrolman quickly determined it wasn’t dangerous; in fact, he knew it was part of a scavenger hunt for GPS aficionados.

The game is called Geocaching and has been growing all over the country. People with GPS devices can log into Web sites and find coordinates that will lead them to various “caches” that can contain trinkets or logs of users that have previously found the cache.

The box found behind Shaw’s was the second found recently by Portsmouth police, the first was found under an I-95 bridge in November.

Despite the harmlessness of the package, the man who originally placed the box behind Shaw’s faces a disorderly conduct charge. Police said the charge is warranted in light of the suspicious actions and the fear it caused.

“It’s an interesting hobby, but they need to find a better place to do it,” said McQuade.

I didn't see a news story quite like theOP described.

I did find this:

http://www.wmur.com/news/10937311/detail.html

Despite the harmlessness of the package, the man who originally placed the box behind Shaw’s faces a disorderly conduct charge. Police said the charge is warranted in light of the suspicious actions and the fear it caused.

“It’s an interesting hobby, but they need to find a better place to do it,” said McQuade.

Is there a link to any news stories more on point?

Dave_W6DPS

Edited by Dave_W6DPS

For all the folks that have been saying that placing stupid micros doesn't hurt anyone and it's just how THEY play the game. Here's the wakeup call and this is where geocaching is going if it doesn't get under control. It's not the well hidden caches in the woods that cause these problems. It's the stupid micros hidden under lampposts that get the bomb squad called out.

Time to wake up and make some needed changes to the game.

For all the folks that have been saying that placing stupid micros doesn't hurt anyone and it's just how THEY play the game. Here's the wakeup call and this is where geocaching is going if it doesn't get under control. It's not the well hidden caches in the woods that cause these problems. It's the stupid micros hidden under lampposts that get the bomb squad called out.

I was about to write something similar, so I'll just say ditto.

I think that's a little harsh. Did they have any rules against caching when this cache was placed? No. I understand that it was on private property, but that's a whole different charge. Book him on trespassing, not disorderly conduct. That's almost like ex post facto.

Edited by icefall5

Urban caches do have their place in the game. As most would agree though, better care should be taken when deciding where to put caches. Then there are always the cachers that just look out of place and suspicious whenever they look for caches. Note that it was reported on a Sunday...a top time for people to be going to grocery stores. Perhaps a little more care all around could help ameliorate the problem.

As for the legality of the charges... I'm sure they could charge the person for terrorist activity if they really wanted to. Trespassing would be one of the few they probably couldn't get him on since their parking lots are open to the public. All in the interpretation (of the Judge and DA, that is).

I'm surprised so many parking lot micros get published. Starbucks, Walmart, Cracker Barrel... these are all private property.

I think the rules should be changes to disallow these types of caches unless explicit permission is obtained from the establishments (which I doubt they would). I agree though, seems like the guidelines should already disallow these types of caches.

I think its alot of bull charging him with anything! Does that mean that if I place a camo box in the dumpster and it gets people riled up because they feel I was acting 'suspiciuos' I could be arrested? If that is what it comes down to then I feel the terrorists can put one up on their side of the scoreboard. I can see taking precautions but we don't need to become a Police State because a few people get riled up. Heck, maybe Ill call the police next time the Fedex guy drops off any unexpected packages on my doorstep, they always look suspicious to me.

v/r

O-Mega

I think its alot of bull charging him with anything! Does that mean that if I place a camo box in the dumpster and it gets people riled up because they feel I was acting 'suspiciuos' I could be arrested? If that is what it comes down to then I feel the terrorists can put one up on their side of the scoreboard. I can see taking precautions but we don't need to become a Police State because a few people get riled up. Heck, maybe Ill call the police next time the Fedex guy drops off any unexpected packages on my doorstep, they always look suspicious to me.

v/r

O-Mega

Let's be real here. I think people have every right to become scared or suspicious when they see funny looking people wandering around under a bridge looking extremely suspicious.. More care needs to be taken to ensure that these types of caches don't get placed. If it means making an example of someone, so be it.

WOW! Where were you when all the bomb squad calls are reported here? I've yet to see a report about a bomb squad call to a micro, they are all regular sized. So shouldn't you be calling for a ban on that size? I'm really sorry for you that you hate micro's so much, but keep your facts straight (there wasn't a bomb squad call in this story).

Interestingly enough, this fine, articulate gentleman seems to have just had a new cache archived in Portsmouth, NH.

I'll take "Things That Make You Go 'Hmmmmmm'" for $500, Alex.

Please tell me that's the guy that got charged, it would make my day!

Hopefully it's him, and not the guy who found it. Though, I gotta say, nobody is forcing anyone to do these caches. In another thread, someone who found the cache said "In my log I said searching for this cache made you feel like a thief because it clearly appeared to be private property." So if clearly appeared to be private property, and you're pretty sure the hider doesn't have permission, and ya go anyway.............

v/r

O-Mega

Let's be real here. I think people have every right to become scared or suspicious when they see funny looking people wandering around under a bridge looking extremely suspicious.. More care needs to be taken to ensure that these types of caches don't get placed. If it means making an example of someone, so be it.

Where have you been? There have always been people wandering around just about everywhere you can think of. Sure, some ome are up to no good no doubt, but why make an example of a law abiding citizen? I don't say that we should not be more aware of how we play this game, but we don't need to be teaching anyone any lessons either. Next we will be patting down the mailman and the paperboy because they cruise around at wee hours of the morning. This needs some common sense, but as I learned in the Military that is something that is not issued with the uniform.

v/r

O-Mega

Interestingly enough, this fine, articulate gentleman seems to have just had a new cache archived in Portsmouth, NH.

Then your day has been made because it was him. Oh and it was this cache http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...12-6f01bcebcbd0

Edited by Team Dubbin

I think this is the one that caused a lot of the problems.

Bass Chaz #1 Cache

bridge.jpg

Oh, this gets better and better. I didn't realize the one under the bridge a few months ago was ALSO his. So just one careless cacher who doesnt appear to be following the guidelines is singlehandedly responsible for giving all the cachers in the state a public black eye?

WOW! Where were you when all the bomb squad calls are reported here? I've yet to see a report about a bomb squad call to a micro, they are all regular sized. So shouldn't you be calling for a ban on that size? I'm really sorry for you that you hate micro's so much, but keep your facts straight (there wasn't a bomb squad call in this story).

Where did I call for a ban on micros? I think too many stupid caches are being placed on private property. The vast majority of these caches happen to be micros. I've placed a micro, but it's not in a stupid location. I'm not against Micros. I'm against stupid micros. Whether you like it or not, it's stupid micros that are responsible for the stated problem in this thread.

The point was that everyone says there are no consequences to stupid hides. There are clearly consequences to everyone.

Ditto.

Ditto.

:):P:):huh::unsure::P

DOODY! DOODY! EVERYONE OUTTA THE POOL!!!! :)

devMILLS_caddyshack_jpg.jpg

This world is just to paranoid!!! Everything is a bomb these days. Im so sick of people saying crap looks suspicious. They just need to use some common sense. The cache might have been placed in a poor location, but all I'm saying is this world is full of a bunch of winey paranoid idiots who blow crap out of proportion. There, I feel better now. :unsure:

I was just watching the news and they reported that geocaching has been BANNED in Portsmouth,NH.

This is due to the recent "Mooninite" ads that were mistaken for terrorist activities.

They said that anyone caught placing cache in Portsmouth will face FELONY CHARGES!!!

Can you believe this? :P

I would really like to get a link to that news story or a transcript or sumthin'. :)

What I see so far is a sensationalist headline and OP and nothing more than a buncha folks with agendas to change the game piling on..... :unsure:

I'm guessing the doody in the pool is a Baby Ruth until I see different. :)

This just in.....

I DNF'd a cache last night and thought nothing of it. Just found out that the thing was blown up by the bomb squad today (was just published yesterday). Apparently the thing was made to look like a pipe bomb. Was placed by a user with 1 hide, no finds (the one hide being this piece of crap).

Here's the cache for those interested

That's all we need is geocaching getting a bad name here in Portland also. What are we to do to stop this?

This just in.....

I DNF'd a cache last night and thought nothing of it. Just found out that the thing was blown up by the bomb squad today (was just published yesterday). Apparently the thing was made to look like a pipe bomb. Was placed by a user with 1 hide, no finds (the one hide being this piece of crap).

That's all we need is geocaching getting a bad name here in Portland also. What are we to do to stop this?

Someone should punch that jacka** in the spine!

I would really like to get a link to that news story or a transcript or sumthin'. :unsure:

Here's the police press release. I'm still looking to see what else I can find. I agree it seems a little premature to assume that geocaching has been banned in the entire state :P But this kind of behavior is going to push those in charge to start making those decisions.

Press Release

Edited by ReadyOrNot

v/r

O-Mega

You knew you gave up some of your freedoms when you let Bush create your homeland security super-duper ultra mega terrorist fighting ninja squad. Now whenever anyone yells terrorism the fit hits the shan. The US is as near to being a Police State as you can be without calling it a police state. I'm frankly astounded that he's only getting a disorderly conduct charge. With stupid caches like that being made, it's only a matter of time before some <<removed by moderator>> mysteriously disappears after creating that really nifty cache right in the middle of LAX. Placing a camo box in a dumpster isn't necessarily going to get you put in the clink, but placing one on private property in a public place where there is lots of people is not a clever or responsible place to put a cache, and you can't be suprised that the screwball who does get's in crap for doing it. The bottom line is that you have to realize that most people are paranoid now (for whatever reason... media, government, etc) about terrorist attacks. If you aren't sensitive to that, and insist on behaving irresponsibly, you're gonna get in some hot water.

Edited by Moose Mob

I would really like to get a link to that news story or a transcript or sumthin'. :unsure:

Here's the police press release. I'm still looking to see what else I can find.

Press Release

Can someone please highlight where it says Geocaching is BANNED in NH. That's the part I was looking for. I read it twice and I didn't see it.

Otherwise this is just another bad placement story no matter the SIZE of the container.

Here's the police press release. I'm still looking to see what else I can find.

Press Release

Otherwise this is just another bad placement story no matter the SIZE of the container.

I agree! Let's get rid of all bad caches regardless of size! Finally you are on board Snoogans :P Before we get rid of the legally placed crappy ones, how do we prevent the illegal ones from being placed? that's what will eventually ruin the game? Any ideas?

You knew you gave up some of your freedoms when you let Bush create your homeland security super-duper ultra mega terrorist fighting ninja squad. Now whenever anyone yells terrorism the fit hits the shan. The US is as near to being a Police State as you can be without calling it a police state. I'm frankly astounded that he's only getting a disorderly conduct charge. With stupid caches like that being made, it's only a matter of time before some douche mysteriously disappears after creating that really nifty cache right in the middle of LAX. Placing a camo box in a dumpster isn't necessarily going to get you put in the clink, but placing one on private property in a public place where there is lots of people is not a clever or responsible place to put a cache, and you can't be suprised that the screwball who does get's in crap for doing it. The bottom line is that you have to realize that most people are paranoid now (for whatever reason... media, government, etc) about terrorist attacks. If you aren't sensitive to that, and insist on behaving irresponsibly, you're gonna get in some hot water.

Over 3000 of our citizens were killed by people that still would like us dead. Reason enough to be paranoid? Take your political crap somewhere else.

Edited by ReadyOrNot
Can someone please highlight where it says Geocaching is BANNED in NH. That's the part I was looking for. I read it twice and I didn't see it.

I don't think it was banned. I think they basically gave out this stern warning:

"It is imperative for those playing these games to understand that this reckless behavior will be prosecuted under the N.H. disorderly conduct statutes and possibly the criminal trespass statues. Placing suspicious items on private property, bridges, electrical panels to businesses etc. creates a condition that causes public alarm. This conduct can be felonious if it causes the evacuation of a building."

Will people pay attention to this? I guess we'll find out...

Edited by TrailGators

This just in.....

Umm I wonder why Jayel57 didn't tell the PD that it was a cache since he was there when they blew it and he logged it. With him logging it just tells these dip s--ts that its ok to do something this stupid.

Jayel57 didn't know if it was the cache. It looked like a bomb.

So why did he log it? Is he the one that found it and reported it? If so I bet is was a scary experience.

Did you read the log? He wrote that he logged it because he was standing there while they blew it up. He never opened it and signed it.

Edited by ReadyOrNot

v/r

O-Mega

You knew you gave up some of your freedoms when you let Bush create your homeland security super-duper ultra mega terrorist fighting ninja squad. Now whenever anyone yells terrorism the fit hits the shan. The US is as near to being a Police State as you can be without calling it a police state. I'm frankly astounded that he's only getting a disorderly conduct charge. With stupid caches like that being made, it's only a matter of time before some douche mysteriously disappears after creating that really nifty cache right in the middle of LAX. Placing a camo box in a dumpster isn't necessarily going to get you put in the clink, but placing one on private property in a public place where there is lots of people is not a clever or responsible place to put a cache, and you can't be suprised that the screwball who does get's in crap for doing it. The bottom line is that you have to realize that most people are paranoid now (for whatever reason... media, government, etc) about terrorist attacks. If you aren't sensitive to that, and insist on behaving irresponsibly, you're gonna get in some hot water.

newbie here...I was going after my 5th cache tonight, and first time at night, when a cop came up to me and asked me what I was doing. He thought I was going to vandalize a sign. Hmmm, let's see, I am middle aged, overweight, sober, and with my daughter-do I fit the type to vandalize anything? Guess I should tone down the pole dancing on the sidewalk in public. I just showed him my gps, my maps, my clues and told him I was on a scavenger hunt. Seriously, maybe people should be a little more careful where they hide things, and I know I will be careful about what caches I decide to go after. Definitely not going at night anymore.