Finding Geocaches Placed

MtnHermit

So far I've placed two GeoCaches, I have dozens more on my "hit list." In using the member search tools I've only found a way to see the caches Found not the caches Placed. Is their a way to discover the caches any member has placed?

I used the search tool to search for the string "Geocaches placed", nothing relevant.

Thanks

Hermit

So far I've placed two GeoCaches, I have dozens more on my "hit list." In using the member search tools I've only found a way to see the caches Found not the caches Placed. Is their a way to discover the caches any member has placed?

I used the search tool to search for the string "Geocaches placed", nothing relevant.

Thanks

Hermit

You can do this from the individual cache pages owned by a member. I think that you can also do this from the super cool search page used by the reviewers, but I forget what it's address is.

Well if you can find the person's profile you can just look at caches owned under the geocaches tab.

Or if you know their name for certain you can get a list...

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?u=+MtnHermit

if caches owned, and if you change the u to ul, then is caches found (remember you must get the name correct!):

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?ul=+MtnHermit

you can also do the same thing by using the 'found by username' and 'hidden by username' fields on seek page.

Well if you can find the person's profile you can just look at caches owned under the geocaches tab.
Does this imply that if there is no Caches Owned Tab, then that member has placed NO caches. If so that would explain why I was confused, I assumed all members had at one time placed a cache. Especially if they had found 30+.

Thanks

Hermit

Edited by MtnHermit
Does this imply that if there is no Caches Owned Tab, then that member has placed NO caches. If so that would explain why I was confused, I assumed all members had at one time placed a cache. Especially if they had found 30+.

Kind of answered my own question. I went through a number of profiles, to my surprise, it is common for members to have placed zero caches. I found one with 444 finds and not a single placed cache, incredible if you think about it. If they don't reciprocate, one runs out of caches to find. At least that's how a Hermit's mind works.

Thanks

Hermit

Kind of answered my own question. I went through a number of profiles, to my surprise, it is common for members to have placed zero caches. I found one with 444 finds and not a single placed cache, incredible if you think about it. If they don't reciprocate, one runs out of caches to find. At least that's how a Hermit's mind works.
That was pretty much true in the beginning. The game is now mature enough that there is plenty of room for both hiders and seekers.

Thanks

Hermit

Maybe. But you have to consider that there are also people that have more hides than finds, or ratios that are nearly equal. And of course a cache can have only 1 owner, but thousands of finders :laughing:

Many people, myself included, would say that it is important that cachers are NOT encouraged (or required) to place caches. The reasoning for this is that if someone feels obligated to place, they may rush some placements and create caches of lesser quality than they may have otherwise in their own course (and if they chose too).

Thanks

Hermit

In each accounts profile, under the geocacher tab it lists the geocaches Found and Owned in just one tab (but different columns).

Also notice it says OWNED, in some instances a cache's ownership will change hands. Like if someone dies, moves, or otherwise looses interest in geocaching, their caches may be adopted to someone else. In this way someone who has Placed caches, may actually Own none. Usually however the owner was the one who placed/created the cache.

Maybe. But you have to consider that there are also people that have more hides than finds, or ratios that are nearly equal. And of course a cache can have only 1 owner, but thousands of finders :laughing:

Many people, myself included, would say that it is important that cachers are NOT encouraged (or required) to place caches. The reasoning for this is that if someone feels obligated to place, they may rush some placements and create caches of lesser quality than they may have otherwise in their own course (and if they chose too).

I appreciate your perspective. What we have here is assumed truth [mine] and the truth [yours]. I'm very much a rookie with a GPSr [2-weeks] and GeoCaching [half that time].

For whatever reason I've found I have no interest in finding caches, but since I get to a lot of exotic places, I thought I'd place a few caches. Time will tell if GeoCachers will appreciate my exotic locations. My perception to date is this is a drive-up sport, with people more interested in the quantity of the finds rather than the quality of the find experience.

I've placed two caches so far, one is an almost drive-up, the second, as yet unlogged, will be difficult to reach. My first was found already by a family of five, they seemed pleased.

I'm opened minded enough at this point to accept "Pearls of Wisdom."

Thanks

Hermit

Edited by MtnHermit

I've placed two caches so far, one is an almost drive-up, the second, as yet unlogged, will be difficult to reach. My first was found already by a family of five, they seemed pleased.

I only see one cache listed on your account? If the other one under a different name?

I went through a number of profiles, to my surprise, it is common for members to have placed zero caches. I found one with 444 finds and not a single placed cache, incredible if you think about it. If they don't reciprocate, one runs out of caches to find.

I know of one that has almost 6,000 finds and only 4 caches and as of now one is inactive and the others archived. But this is just a game and everyone is able to do their thing.

:laughing:

I only see one cache listed on your account? If the other one under a different name?

Please reread.
My perception to date is this is a drive-up sport, with people more interested in the quantity of the finds rather than the quality of the find experience.

The nice thing about this sport is there is something for everyone. Some people prefer drive-ups, some prefer long hikes. Some prefer do jump from lamppost to utility box to bush to downspout all day long and others prefer a nice view. Some like it all. Some days I like to find a bunch of drive-ups, other days I'll ride my bike along the bike trail and get a few. Other days I'm happy with a 4 hour hike to just get 1 or 2 caches.

Please don't limit your hides to drive-ups. Hide a variety so everyone can be happy.