Town Pride Day as CITO Event?

TeamLojack

This year's CITO day is also my church's town pride day. We break up into teams and get assigned clean up duty in different neighborhoods. Everyone from the community is invited, including local organizations, schools, scouts, etc. Can I make this a CITO event? I would love to see our local cachers there. They bring their awesome spirit and good hearts to every event I have gone to! =) I would love to have them at our church/town event.

What do yah think?

Thanks for your input!

Hopefully a reviewer will chime in with some additional information but generally events are arranged by geocachers for geocachers and it seems like you are describing an already organized event. We made the decision just to pitch in and help on The Great Canadian Shoreline cleanup. We went out and helped and we did make sure that everyone knew we were geocachers but we didn't try to list it as a CITO.

Usually if other people organize the event then I think pitching in as a geocacher/volunteer is the best approach. I personally think it would be more fun if you arrange a CITO event for geocachers. We hid partial coords to a CITO cache in pieces of trash in the park, we did this before the event and then people picking up trash had to find the clues and then they could go find the cache.

You might ask some of the other local geocachers to help in the clean-up and go as a geocaching team. I really think you should think about your own CITO event, it is easy, fun and very rewarding. Even a few people can make a BIG difference.

Edited to add; Even though CITO Day is a specific date you can hold a CITO anytime. Don't be afraid to tailor CITO events to fit your location.

Edited by wavector
Hopefully a reviewer will chime in with some additional information but generally events are arranged by geocachers for geocachers and it seems like you are describing an already organized event.
Yes, it does sound like that.

the guidelines specify:

While a music concert, a garage sale, a ham radio field day or town's fireworks display might be of interest to a large percentage of geocachers, such events are not suitable for submission as event caches because the organizers and the primary attendees are not geocachers.

TeamLojack,

It would be great to have you add a CITO event to the 2007 roster!

So your job is to create a CITO event that is for geocachers and by geocachers. State a definite location plus a range of time, and I think you can do it. I'd be happy to help you craft a page that can be listed. I had a CITO event a few years that was (like in your case) also open to non-geocachers, but the primary focus was definitely geocachers wanting to give back to a location that we often played in, and still play in. The added help we got from scouts and orienteering folks was an awesome plus!

Edited by MissJenn