Sunspot on 60cxs

I have had my 60cxs for almost 9 months and recently turned it on and noticed what looked like a sunspot on the mid-lower portion of the screen about the size of a eraser head on a pencil.I am not sure where or how it got there but was wondering if anyone else out here who owns the same model has ever came across this.I just called garmin and was issued a rma to return it hope it doesnt take long as I use my garmin most everyday,thanks for the input.

Define "sunspot". Is this a faded portion of the screen where the colors are not as bright? Or is it a portion of the screen where no pixels light up at all? Or is it simply a fingerprint smudge that has discolored the glass?

Thanks for bringing that up its definetly a spot where no pixels show up at all ever hear of that happening?

Most makers try to explain that one or two pixels on a LCD is 'no big deal' as it's an accepted part of the technology. Mostly their costs would go up one heck of a lot if they had to take back every LCD with a bad pixel.

That said out of all the LCD's I've worked with on several PDA's a Laptop, a couple of color MP3 Players, and Monitor...I've only had one that had a pixel that was noticibly bad. They replaced it.

A pencil sized spot is large. Looks like Garmin is doing the right thing and you will have your GPS back before you know it.

There was a discussion in the German NaviBoard GPS Forum. Unfortunatelly, it is in German Language. There are some pictures in this entry. In a nut shell it says, this happens if you put in a recharable battery the wrong way around.

http://www.naviboard.de/vb/showthread.php?...ghlight=display

Regards, viamundi.

Thats excatly what mine looks like but I dont recall putting the battery in backwards either way thanks for researching that for me and the unit was sent out today hope to get it back soon!

Just a little something about garmins customer service ITS AWESOME ! quick turnaround brand new unit Im LIKING THAT ALOT !

There was a discussion in the German NaviBoard GPS Forum. Unfortunatelly, it is in German Language. There are some pictures in this entry. In a nut shell it says, this happens if you put in a recharable battery the wrong way around.

http://www.naviboard.de/vb/showthread.php?...ghlight=display

Regards, viamundi.

Thats excatly what mine looks like but I dont recall putting the battery in backwards either way thanks for researching that for me and the unit was sent out today hope to get it back soon!

WARNING to 60Cx and 60CSx owners!

Be careful your memory chips are properly aligned in the holder before turning on your unit!

I've just burned a spot in the tranlucent coating on the back of the LCD panel from the backlight.

Apparently the misaligned chip caused the backlight to burn too bright.

When I powered on the unit, all I could see was an orange glow in the lower center of the screen. Once I corrected the alignment of the chip the GPS unit powered up ok, however it had a clear spot where it had glowed, when the backlight was lit.

Although it is over a year old, Garmin has thankfully agreed to accept it as a warranty repair, and to expedite the repair to be within 5 days.

76Cs and 76CSx owners should not have this problem, as their memory chip holder is designed differently, and should prevent any misalignments.

Edited by GizmoGuy411

I have a friend who inadvertantly installed the batteries in wrong on her CSx. The batteries got very hot and she ended up with a spot on her screen. She tried to use it like that but then it started to act up so she had to send it in to Garmin to have it serviced. I think they ended up sending her another unit but the bottom line is that this is something that just shouldn't happen. Accidently installing the batteries in wrong can happen to anybody! :rolleyes:

Garmin support is excellent and you'll have it back very soon. It is unlikely that the heat from the sun caused this, it was likely either a memory card issue, a defective processor chip that overheated, or a manufacturer defect screen. What ever the problem was, I'm sure Garmin will send you a brand new unit :rolleyes:

I’m having trouble understanding how you can have a misaligned microSD memory card in a 60CSx. The memory card fits very close in the holder. I just measured mine and there is only .007” clearance between the card and the holder. That’s the thickness of 2 human hairs! You can not get the holder locked if the card in not seated in its holder.

In my Map60Cx, the memory card got mis-aligned when the GPS struck the fiberglass surface of the boat I was in, and this was in the daytime fortunately. What happens is that severe shock can cause the memory card to slip slightly out, so it is wedged between the clip and housing.