I had to explain Geocaching to the Police!

whitewolfkiba

I don't like the use of to much exposition when telling a story, so I wrote it like this :laughing:

So me and my Geocaching buddys are avid Night cachers, nearly all of my caching has been done at night, one night me and Kellobyte pull up to the "RUNaWAY" Cache on Mt. Scott, after dodging a rabid dog we made our way around the sidewalk, only to be followed by the dogs owner, we gave up on the cache because we became freaked out by this creeper following us, behind his red stocking cap he hollered out in a voice that sounded like a faulty starter in a car.

"You guys doing anything funny?"

"Oh we're doing nothing" Kellobyte my partner in crime replied

"Yeah we're actually just leaving," I added.

"Why the hell are you here at night? This is public property!" his finger flung into the air as if it were a lethal weapon.

"Ok, we're doing something called Geocaching its basicall-"

"Bulls***," he interrupted my explanation, "your here spray painting!"

"No sir you have the wrong idea" I pulled out my GPS but before I could speak.

"We will see what the cops have to say about it"

Keeping our cool, Kellobyte and I walked back to my car, as the creeper was on the phone he began to give our descriptions, "Two Caucasians probably in their 20s, driving a Red Trans AM" he continued to spit out my license plate number and told them, "They were vandalizing the building"

The creeper with his Red Stocking cap hung up his cellphone, he smiled smugly at me and said "Here they come."

In my mind I was torn between two choices, I could tell this dude whats on my mind, every profanity that I ever learned, and drive off to the next cache, or I could stay here and try to explain my way out of this.

"Kellobyte, what do you think we should do?" I muttered to the passenger side door as to not alert the creeper.

"I say lets get outta here."

"I dunno," I turned to the creeper, "Why did you do that? Are you to ignorant to see someone else's side of the story? You are convinced you way is right?"

The bantering when on back and forth, the creeper in the Red Stocking cap could not see past his own ignorance, I pleaded with him to see someone else's side of the story. My main purpose of this social interaction however was to establish a image of myself that was not a hostile one, but a person who was wrongly accused.

I had enough of it, I told the creeper good night, and put my keys in the car, just as I started the engine I noticed a car behind me turn on its lights and come at me at an alarming rate, the cops.

"Here we go, great," I muttered to myself, I glanced over to the silent Kellobyte, holding back his rage or so it would appear, "Well we've officially been stopped by the cops while Geocaching." He smirked as the cop shined a bright light into the car through the crack I had made in the door.

"Is there a problem officer?"

"What are you doing out here?"

"Well like I told the, gentleman, over there, we are Geocaching, basically people hide these things and put the coordinates on geocaching.com and we go out to find them"

"You lost me," the officer frowned and shined the light into the back seat.

"It like, treasure hunting, yeah treasure hunting but with a GPS," I pulled out my GPS to show him the harmless device still beeping in the direction of the cache.

After a flash of identification, he told us to enjoy the rest of our night.

I got off a free man, I waved to the creeper as I drove away, Kellobyte continues to this day to yell "The friggin' dude called the cops on us!"

Edited by whitewolfkiba

I was reading your story and I realized "That's my cache!"... What's funny is that the area where I placed the cache is where we use to sneak out at night and spray paint the fences (among other things). Maybe that guy has a long memory :laughing: (It was about 18 years ago)

Although, a couple weeks back, you guys got a FTF and were pulling out as we were pulling in and you gave us a drive-by-shouting. The universe has made us even :laughing:

Although, a couple weeks back, you guys got a FTF and were pulling out as we were pulling in and you gave us a drive-by-shouting. The universe has made us even :laughing:

OMG that was you? I felt so bad for yelling "FTF" afterwards lol, but I guess what goes around comes around. B)

I'm defiantly gonna hit your cache again tomorrow :laughing:

Edited by whitewolfkiba

OMG that was you? I felt so bad for yelling "FTF" afterwards lol, but I guess what goes around comes around. :laughing:

I'm defiantly gonna hit your cache again tomorrow :laughing:

There is a place in North Dakota that has an old car parked along side the road with a bubble on top and with a blow up doll in the front seat with a hat on it to look like a policeman. It is a "speed trap" to slow down people coming through the town of about 20 people and works great. Always gets a laugh. The cache is called Radar Love and is located on the back of the "police car". My oldest boy (13) was laying under the car saying things like "it has to be here someplace" and "I hope there are no snakes under here" when the real thing pulled up. I was leaning against the truck with his 4 brothers in it while he searched for the cache. After a quick introduction and a look at my drivers liscense (turns out I went to high school with his older brother) I pulled out the GPS unit, wrote down the web address, showed the guy how it worked and off he went. Nice guy.

Ron

Yeah, I've had a few cop encounters in my time. One was going for a FTF in the Redmond area at night in an neighborhood setting. Got checked on by 4 of 'em. Once they found out what I was doing, they just told me to go home, though they did say you can check that rock down there. AFter that, I lost mky interest in going after FTFs at night, especially in neighborhood settings.

Another time, in Edmonds, I was looking for an evil micro right by ferry and the cop asked me what I was doing. I told him geocaching and he really became interested, but we had to cut it short as he had to direct traffic. I did eventually find the cache that day.

"Why the hell are you here at night? This is public property!" his finger flung into the air as if it were a lethal weapon.

That's hilarious. How dare you be on PUBLIC property. I would have asked him what the hell he was doing on public property.

Congratulations on handling that situation well.