Need help 2007 Compass Rose

Vegas Gamblers

We've seen such a big backlash against pre-sales here that the community pratically demands the notion of first-come, first-served. There's really no other way to open up sales and keep it fair, so this is really what the geocoin community prefers. C&P could have snuck the coins onto the site and not told anyone, but they'd catch criticism for that too. Honestly I think they're darned if they do and darned if they don't, so I'd suggest everyone just continue to be patient as they try to deal with the demand.

Yime, seems that you are much to logical for this thread :blink:

I know it's more hassle, but wouldnt "pre-sales" orders eliminate all this???

Maybe...but it wouldn't be near as much fun! :blink:

We've seen such a big backlash against pre-sales here that the community pratically demands the notion of first-come, first-served. There's really no other way to open up sales and keep it fair, so this is really what the geocoin community prefers. C&P could have snuck the coins onto the site and not told anyone, but they'd catch criticism for that too. Honestly I think they're darned if they do and darned if they don't, so I'd suggest everyone just continue to be patient as they try to deal with the demand.

the best way imho if not doing presales is to add the coins to the site and then fire off an email saying 'Now available', then we have again a first-come, first-served situation but everyone had his chance.

I suspect that when the dust settles, it will be discovered that nobody actually successfully completed checkout, so any fears of not being able to get your hands on them can be belayed until a later date. I think part of the issue is psychological, as people don't know how long the coins will be being placed up in batches for, so they want to get in as early as possible. For example, if I knew that they would still be putting some up 4 or 5 days from now, I'd wait a few days for things to cool down before trying to purchase some myself.

I have them in basket and I can get to the shipping info...but it craps out there!

Yup, same here. Or it was same here. Now my basket appears empty. I still have the page to enter my shipping info, but it never goes through. Guess I'm out of it too.

Still, it was a sort of fun hour, like being in a race. I feel kind of sorry for Aaron though. It must be frustrating to have such a popular coin, and then have so many after it that you actually end up not being able to sell any. Kind of ironic.

Actually... was anyone able to fully complete their order? So far I've only seen posts that people didn't get any farther than me (and some didn't get that far).

I suspect that when the dust settles, it will be discovered that nobody actually successfully completed checkout, so any fears of not being able to get your hands on them can be belayed until a later date. I think part of the issue is psychological, as people don't know how long the coins will be being placed up in batches for, so they want to get in as early as possible. For example, if I knew that they would still be putting some up 4 or 5 days from now, I'd wait a few days for things to cool down before trying to purchase some myself.

yup, fear of the unknown. well made point

This cant be good:

We are sorry; the CoinsAndPins.com web site is closed on 21 Jan 2007 while we conduct web site administrative upgrades.

Please check back in the evening of 26 Jan 07.

All custom order transactions and operations will continue as usual. If you would like to contact us, please call 910-848-PINS(7467), or email at customerspt@coinsandpins.com.

About us: We are suppliers of promotional products with focus on custom made coins and lapel pins for businesses, military, school, government, geocaching, church, or any other organization. Coins and pins are great for awards, fundraisers, commemorations, and promoting your organization.

Thank you.

I hope Aaron waits until say 9:00pm EST so that most people in the US are not working and have a chance to try and buy some. The same way this thread started, with people asking other people to buy coins for them, during a time when they were unavailable, hopefully people could help each other out if needed. I have no chance during the day to buy these coins, only after 3:00pm CST.

Also, it would be nice to know how many were made.

"We are sorry; the CoinsAndPins.com web site is closed due to administrative upgrades.

All custom order transactions and operations will continue as usual. If you would like to contact us, please call 910-848-PINS(7467), or email at customerspt@coinsandpins.com.

About us: We are suppliers of promotional products with focus on custom made coins and lapel pins for businesses, military, school, government, geocaching, church, or any other organization. Coins and pins are great for awards, fundraisers, commemorations, and promoting your organization.

Thank you. "

This cant be good:

We are sorry; the CoinsAndPins.com web site is closed on 21 Jan 2007 while we conduct web site administrative upgrades.

Thank you.

ROFLMAO.......Look at the dates :blink:

mm

This cant be good:

Thank you.

ROFLMAO.......Look at the dates :blink:

mm

They fixed that quick. I refreshed and it was changed. Lol!

Jayman11

Wow, I got home at 7pm and they were gone, all gone!! (spoken in the voice of Ralphie when the turkey gets taken out by the Bumpus's dogs). Glad to hear they are batching them so there is still hope. Not so glad that I have to check the site every 15 minutes for the next 3 months...

How about limiting the purchase quantity per individual to 2 of each metal for the 1st 24-48 hours. This would allow a better chance of everyone getting some. Open up unlimited #'s after the initial sales period. This would possibly eliminate the server pressure as well.

that was one of my biggest motivators today. they said no limits on purchases so it was a do or die situation as far as I was concerned. (and still is)

and not knowing how many were minted even fuels the problem more.

hope some of these points are considered by TPTB involved with coin sales.

Edited by mudsneaker

I hope Aaron waits until say 9:00pm EST so that most people in the US are not working and have a chance to try and buy some. The same way this thread started, with people asking other people to buy coins for them, during a time when they were unavailable, hopefully people could help each other out if needed. I have no chance during the day to buy these coins, only after 3:00pm CST.

WHY should it benefit US working conditions only :blink: Please have some consideration for those in the rest of the world trying to purchase a CR geocoin. Think about Aaron (and others) having to sit up all night to monitor the problems that have developed.....add another 3 hours and the problem will not necessarily dissapear.

mm

How about limiting the purchase quantity per individual to 2 of each metal for the 1st 24-48 hours. This would allow a better chance of everyone getting some. Open up unlimited #'s after the initial sales period. This would possibly eliminate the server pressure as well.

Agree 100%

I don't think the quantity that people were ordering was the issue, the problem is the amount of people hitting the site at the same time.

Agree 100%

I don't think the quantity that people were ordering was the issue, the problem is the amount of people hitting the site at the same time.

AND hitting the F5 key

WHY should it benefit US working conditions only :ph34r: Please have some consideration for those in the rest of the world trying to purchase a CR geocoin. Think about Aaron (and others) having to sit up all night to monitor the problems that have developed.....add another 3 hours and the problem will not necessarily dissapear.

mm

An emphatic ditto to that. :ph34r:

It seems to me the best approach would be to start the sale when the LOWEST number of people are trying to buy them - how about 3am in central US? :blink:

Bit rough on the sellers themselves of course! :ph34r:

Or just make so many coins no-one feels pressured to buy quickly. :ph34r:

Agree 100%

If there is a limit, then there will be alot less pressure for buyers to try and get in there to buy them all at the same time, since it is likely that there will still be some left a little later. Pre-sales and/or allowing coins to be reserved would help even more.

Aaron we all appreciate your efforts, I know the frustrations you went through last time. I am sure you were hoping those issues had been resolved.

I'm sorry if I sound like a jerk, but why are people feeling sorry for a business that can't seem to keep their site up during a rush of orders? This has happened in the past and it continued in that way today also. Seriously, what more can they expect when they KNOW they have a HOT coin up for sale?

They're a business and they need to find some way to deal with the traffic.

Agree 100%

aye, but the reason for that is because of no limit sales. If I knew that folks could only buy a couple at a time, I wouldnt worry that a few are going to buy most of of the coins up and resell. As it stands right now, thats the situation. Do or Die...and the Die means going to Eblah and that bites.

By limiting purchases, some of that concern would be alieved, thus less traffic at once.