Please refresh the GC.com Map

mudsneaker

I saw that it was refreshed earlier today, and just wanted to post a hearty thank you to TPTB!

I know we are a pain in your butt n all. But its the little things that make us smile and that the map is one of them. So again, Thank You.

No, we are not a pain in their butt. We pay their paychecks. If we are paying for a feature and it is broken, they need to know! <_<

If I click on map it, I immediately go to Google maps, which do not which caches I have found on the map, do not show all the maps in the area, and have a crappy link to get to a cache page. Is this what we are stuck with now? I liked the old (and I have only been doing this for a few weeks!) GC maps. That was more why I became a premium member than the PQs. I can always download waypoints, but it is hare to figure out what area to hit without that map.

If I click on map it, I immediately go to Google maps, which do not which caches I have found on the map, do not show all the maps in the area, and have a crappy link to get to a cache page. Is this what we are stuck with now? I liked the old (and I have only been doing this for a few weeks!) GC maps. That was more why I became a premium member than the PQs. I can always download waypoints, but it is hare to figure out what area to hit without that map.

Regarding the old maps, you can still access them from any cache listing. Click on the "Geocaching.com Maps" link towards the bottom of a cache listing. We've been experiencing many issues, such as the obvious one of having trouble updating the cache data on the maps.

I'm not sure what you mean by "crappy link" since it goes to the cache page you are looking at. I'll assume instead that you have issues with downloading local caches as a file.

Fortunately there are two ways to do this that are far better than clicking on a map and choosing identify. First, you could always go with a Pocket Query, located on your "my account page". If you enter the parameters you want you'll be emailed a packaged list of caches far faster than a click click download you do now.

The second way is for the selective types that just want to add individual caches on the results page. To do this you select a bookmark on the Google Map page, then click on the little book icon next to the items you want to add to that list. Once you are done, click on the book with the arrow on it next to the name of your bookmark. From there you can generate a pocket query for the items you selected.

In looking at the page I can definitely see where that functionality is far from intuitive. We'll do our best to improve the Google Maps functionality to make it better. Any helpful feedback would be appreciated.

Let me explain myself, before I get branded as a malcontent! <_<

I have no problem downloading locations using PQs. That works fine.

Perhaps I spoke too soon about the crappy link part. This may be an IE7 issue. If I right click on a cache listing and choose to open in a new tab, I just get a new tab with the same content. I have to double click a listing, which only puts a brief overview at the top of the map, and then I can open the cache page in a new tab. Not really a problem once I get used to it, just a bunch more mouse clicks.

Is there any way to filter out caches I have found on the Google map? That would solve all the issues I have.

Thanks for updating the GC maps. I will continue to use both, so I will be ready for whichever way the site goes. For what it is worth, if the Google maps could filter out found caches or at least have a different colored balloon, I would prefer them to the GC maps. If you can do that, I hereby grant you permission do get rid of the old type. (I'd insert a tongue in cheek icon here if I could find one.)

Anyway, thanks for all you work on the site.

no getting rid of the GC.com map! Its so fun showing folks whom I'm explaining geocaching to. Really blows them away to see it every time.

And love to see where I've cached visually with the check marks. Helps my planning ALOT for road trips. So far due to google map not showing that feature, I do not use it. Thats just me, but Im sure Im not the only one.

Jeremy,

What effort does it take to refresh the map? Is it difficult, time consuming, hard to schedule? By ignoring it is the plan that we'll just "forget" to use the map?

Seriously, I wanted that map feature when I decided to go premium, and discovered the other benefits later. /sigh.

Tired of sounding like a broken record.

Mudsneaker

I feel your pain. The map update has been broken for a long time. As I understand it TPTB have to go an kick the servers manually to do the updates.

The problems most likely result from some of the old outdated hobby code that is in the process of being reworked. I agree that it is a major inconvienece, I like looking at the map as well to plan areas to hit, but the only thing that seems to work is asking for then to kick the servers again perioticly.

The problem as I understand it is not "hobby code," but rather the mapping software purchased a few years ago being inadequate for the tasks which the vendor said it would perform.

Hmm...

Maybe if the vendor knew that a large number of people who either have been, are, or will be in the market for mapping software were about to find out their product is junk they'd fix it. :ph34r:

"Yes, this is a message for Mapper Joe's Mapping Software, Inc. We just had out millionth user account opened here on this site you sold us software for. Those million map-using people are about to find out what pieces of junk your mapping products are. We hope to hear from your service department soon so we can tell our members what a good CS department you have!"

Might get some results. :ph34r:

Shouldn't this feature be automated or refreshed at least daily? It's very annoying. It is a premium feature after all and one of the reasons I pay.

I don't know how much time or effort this takes. I do wonder why Jeremy has been silent on this lately. Given the recent lack of response, I think a refresh "at least daily" is not likely to happen. Once a week is a more reasonable expectation, but I personally would be satisfied with once a month. It's pretty clear these maps will never work "automated" as the vendor indicated they would. That leaves the manual refresh. Jeremy, can you at least commit to a reboot once a month? And I realize if you are 5 minutes late after a month, someone would remind you.

Honest question: Wouldn't dragging your PQ of unfound caches into Google Earth be a much easier way of accomplishing virtually the same thing?

The only difference I see is that there wouldn't be any checkmarks over caches you've done. There'd just be a blank spot, which I think would be even better.

Please enlighten me. Thanks! :lostsignal:

I want to see the red check marks, thats the thing. Its a way to see areas I've been to, and places I want to visit that have a nice density.

A PQ only holds 500 caches. When I show a friend the GC map zoomed out, its really impressive to see the giant masses of caches that are out there. Never fails to get a big reaction when someone sees that map. And with the red marks, they can easily see my travels.

Overall its not a useful map anymore due to obviuous flaws. But its a resource that encouraged me to pay for membership, and is still useful at times for different reasons.

Rather than start a new thread...

All day when I try to go to the view map link, it brings up the GC map page with the message "There was an error with the map server" - any ideas how long this will go on?

There are other threads on it. Could it be collateral from the server upgrade process?

I thought this was the "problem line". Are you saying that the forums are not being monitored to identify problems that might be occurring?

Ummm, the forums don't necessarily need to be monitored by the programmer directly responsible for fixing a certain problem. Someone like CO Admin, mtn-man or myself can spot a previously unknown issue and make sure it's reported to the proper person. That's what CO Admin did with respect to the new map error message. Thank you to those who reported it.

I do not understand why this is such a problem. The red checkmarks on the maps are supposed to be a benfit of premium membership. You (Groundspeak) are not delivering the premium member benefits you promised :D . Please address this situation immediately.

Thank you.

Edited by Rupert2

I do not understand why this is such a problem. The red checkmarks on the maps are supposed to be a benfit of premium membership. You (Groundspeak) are not delivering the premium member benefits you promised :D . Please address this situation immediately.

Thank you.

From the Terms of Use for the Site:

Groundspeak may change, suspend, or discontinue any portion of the Site, or any service offered on the Site, at any time, including but not limited to any feature, database, application, or content. Groundspeak may also impose limits on certain features offered on the Site with or without notice.

Notice has been given.

Woot! I almost forgot how nice it is to see easily where the clusters are to go after. This rocks! Thanks much.

I really hate the thought of those maps going away. There is absolutly no replacement that Ive found so far to easily see at a glance where I have cleaned out and where I still can go for a good day of caching. Those check marks make that search so easy and clear. Find another map that does this state wide, all at once and I'll make the switch. until then this feature cannot be matched.

Yes, when it comes time to actually move around and research caches I switch over to Google maps. But this one shows entire areas like no other map can.

Thank you Raine and CO Admin for making this clear to us.

It sure would be nice to hear about this major change to GC.com PM features in the Geocaching Announcements Forum instead of like this.

Nothing against Raine and CO Admin, but most cachers don't know who you are and with what authority you speak. They may not understand that a forum moderator has authentic information about the back end workings of the website. Heck, I don't know that a forun moderator has good info. And what's a lackey? Not explained in the "Geocaching Glossary".

Nothing personal guys. CO Admin, I've never met you. Raine, I have met you and I know what a lackey is. Just don't forget that not all the folks here on the forums do.

Thanks

Deane

AKA: DeRock & the Psychic Cacher - Grattan MI

Rupert2: FYI, those maps are being phased out and this has been said repeatedly.

Everyone else: the maps have been updated.

Thanks for the update!

Gosh, I must have missed those repeated announcements. I hate to hear they will go away. Does that decision reflect the caching styles of the web-designers, and if so, is that is because they prefer to do long hike type caching in rural areas over urban clusters? Have they considered the impact of that decision to those of us who live in cache dense areas?

I like to use those maps to look for good sized clusters of caches I haven't yet done. We live in a fairly dense caching area, and those maps (when they are recently update, anyway) are wonderful tools to use to show where we've been, and where new caches have sprung up that might be worth a few hours of attention.

A comparison:

The current map shows all the caches found, and the ones that don't have check yet are ones that could be new targets. As you scroll around, you still get to see where clusters of unfound caches are located.

862f69f1-3380-481d-9d0a-1dbb3b10f53e.jpg

The google map that can be used to scroll to caches shows only the small cluster that was selected--although it lists several additional pages. As you move the map around random caches pop in and out of view after this point. There may be several caches not showing up in any particular area.

18140037-1c6e-453a-b51f-236c01785562.jpg

Here is an example of one of those random moves.

1d0412b8-3e00-4daf-9ece-e038e10d9744.jpg

Each of these are five mile views. I chose that distance because five miles is the distance to the bottom of the 11th page from my home zip code. (Yes, there are over 200 caches within five miles of my house).

In the first example, it's pretty easy to see that we could get a lot of new caches if we went to the east. The second view shows some caches we haven't done, true, but I only found that cluster because I linked to it from the first view. Obviously, the randomly generated view from the third map is scattered over a huge portion of the county, and fails to show a lot of caches we haven't done that are very near each other.

Of course, I can move in closer and get a more accurate view--if I scroll in close enough to have fewer than 20 caches the random caches disappear and I'll see only the caches in that area--but in a cache dense area, that means I'm in for a lot of scrolling. (Around here, that translates to about a half mile view in some spots!). There is no way to easily find a cluster of unfound caches.

There is no way to easily get the "big picture view" of available caches! Being a visual thinker, that matters a lot to me.

Using the gc maps, I can find a spot without many red checks, zoom in far enough to find some caches that are easy to get to from each other, click identify, and then using the google maps to locate and preview and bookmark the caches I want to do.

I really hope that when the gc maps go away, there is a similar feature to replace it. I completely agree with mudsneaker, there are no other maps that come close to the ease of using the gc maps in a cache dense area. My only other option would be to run (many) PQs, import into GSAK, load them into the mapping software, and view from there.

Edited by Neos2