Magellan Conversion Manager

Magellan Conversion Manager isn't for converting files. All it does is send maps to the eXplorist.

The proper way to send the results of your pocket query to an eXplorist is to use Magellan Geocaching Manager, MapSend Lite (I think), GPSBabel, or GSAK. Those programs export to the Geocaching POI format (.gs file). You can also convert to the regular POI format (.upt file), but that does not include info about the cache.

It's those extra waypoints that I'm having trouble with. You know, the ones with parking co-ordinates. The funny thing is I was successful twice - put those extra waypoints in my Pts of Interest file (as opposed to the Geocache file on the gpsr, and the comments about each waypoint shows up as well, i.e. 'Park past the gate'. I'm wondering if the Magellan support staff will know.

The extra waypoints that I'm referring to, the wpts portion of the unzipped Pocket Query, won't transfer over at all - to my 'Geocache' file or the 'POI' file on the gpsr. The first part of the unzipped files, with the Geocaches and their information, transfer fine. Just not the second one.

Finally figured it out.

1. I opened the unzipped file holding the extra (parking etc) waypoints in EasyGPS.

2. Hit the 'send to GPS' button.

3. When asked where to save it, renamed the file and saved it to my POI file.

4. Open Magellan MapSend Manager/ Manage GPS Files / Transfer to Unit

5. With GPSr connected, and POI file opened on left , showing all files inside, drag files across to right side of screen (GPS side)

6. Hit 'Transfer'

7. Voila! :laughing:

Edited by tangerineman

Is the current version of EasyGPS USB capable (i.e., can it write it directly to the GPS_? You might be able to save a step. I know ExpertGPS can do this, but I don't have EasyGPS on my computer.

Embra, EasyGPS pops up a Save As window asking where you want to save the .upt file when you try to "Send" to an eXplorist. So if the eXplorist is connected in File Transfer mode, the user would just need to figure out which drive the GPSr is and save in the appropriate folder. I haven't tried this since I don't have my data cable at work, but I think EasyGPS should see the eXplorist's drive. Edited by geognerd

Small update: The extra waypoint or POI half of my Pocket Queries are transferring fine, as I described above - Saving in EasyGPS, then opening Magellan's MapSend Manager / Manage GPS files / Transfer Data to Unit / Transfer / drag over files / 'transfer'.

However, the Geocache half, for some straaaange reason, won't work this way, but still works beautifully with Magellan Geocache Manager. I just need to switch between the two.