Garmin C510D Deal from Halfords...

Hi,

We have been long-time users of Garmin stuff and have got to know the little wrinkles with the way Garmin manages it' hardware/software combos. For several years now we have owned a car unit and a handheld and have used the auto-routing software from the car unit in the handheld.

A recent software upgrade to City Navigator Europe V9 NT has left our Streetpilot 2610 car unit behind in terms of its capabilities. This box of tricks cost £500 some time back and the CNE software came included with this unit. The software is only ever supplied with hardware and cannot be bought as a standalone product in Europe. It is also very expensive should you buy it abroad.

My father-in-law recently bought a new car and was presented with a Garmin C510D (D = De Luxe) unit. It came with CNE V9 NT software in the box to provide full coverage of Europe. The software can be unlocked to work with a second Garmin GPS unit.

I liked the kit and had to think about the way ahead. We have decided to sell off the 2610 and "upgrade" to a newer car unit. So we had a look around for a C510 and found that Halfords were selling this kit for £199.99 (+£4.95 p&p) on the web. I popped into a local Halfords and was gobsmacked to find they were selling the plain C501 pack for £270!! - no software included, unit pre-loaded with UK and Eireland only!

...so, if you already own a Garmin hand-held (Vista Cx in my case) that can auto-route and you fancy a big talking unit for the car, then this package might be good for you. You can then install CNE V9 NT in your hand held as well.

...and if you buy through using the Quidco website, you get another 4% cashback from Halfords.

Well, if its any help to anyone...here is what I do. I plug my Garmin Etrex Legend into my laptop with Autoroute 2007 running. This gives me a nice big screen to look at plus I get Emily telling me where to go. I dont think the talking Emily is on the earlier versions of Autoroute though. Granted it is not as compact as a true Sat-Nav unit but it does give me the facility of all my caches on the laptop and it gives me Google Earth should i need it, Plus, having a laptop and all my map searching facilities on hand is great. :huh::D

Must be a bit of a problem with that on your dashboard!

:huh::D:D:D:D Thats why I leave it on the back seat and let the wife use it. I can hear it just fine....Emily will say Take the second exit at the roundabout....etc etc Can you imagine what its like in my 'other' car...its an open top sports (Triumph Spitfire) :D

Edited by Red Squadron

Pleased to say the kit has arrived fine and at the quoted price. Taken it for a test run - very handy with the advance notification of the Safety Cameras, would like to drive into one of them!

If anyone is interested in buying a Streetpilot 2610 with City Navigator Europe V8, my old rig is up on eBay. It's all in fine fettle, take a look here:

StreetPilot 2610

...and it's going cheap at present. The registration of both the hardware and software will be transferred formally with Garmin after completion.

Edited by Sue and Bernie