GeoCache Ettiquette

Hobbit Taz

What is the proper ettiquette most subscribe to when they find a cache in not perfect condition?

I recently went to a cache that was damp enough on the log sheet that it was difficult to write on (micro).

I noticed that someone had placed a new sheet of paper in the cache to sign on.

Ive noticed on several occasions people adding new log sheets to a cache. However since a wet log is left in place it just keeps the whole thing wet often even the new log. If in a normal cache the old log can be placed in a bag seperate, but especially in a micro that may not be possible.

Here is the question, Is it better to just add a sheet for your signature; report it as needs maintenance, just add a note to your find or seperate note entry reporting the issue (ive noticed that some caches over and over have it noted that the cache is damp, but the next finder still finds it the same way); Is it ok to remove the wet material completely (even the log sheet) and maybe replace with a new one after drying the box or container; or other options.

I would like to here what you think on these or any ideas or notes on what you have done in the past.

I would try to sign the log the best I could. If it rips, it rips. Usually when its that wet, its garbage anyway. And you can say you tried.

Then I'd post a needs maintenance log, saying you could drink the logbook. And thats where I usually leave it. The owner will step up sooner or later to fix it. If for some reason the owner can't get out there (injury), then I might make a special trip to put a brandy spankin new one in there. But as for the old log book, its toast, toss it. It is nice to keep them, but sometimes you can't.

Another fun part about placing caches.

if I have the means to repair it on the spot, I do it.

I found a cache earlier this week that hadn't been logged online in about two - there were additional logs in the cache. A travel bug that is supposed to be in it is missing and when I found it, it wasn't where it was supposed to be - it was on the ground. I grabbed it.

Inside, the baggies were torn so I replaced them at home. I inspected the contents, threw out a damaged keyring, and found weed at the bottom. Just because BC is weed tolerant does not mean that's something we want to find in our caches!

Owner's been notified. The cache is safely in one of my caches. Yes, I now own two caches. :huh:

I'm with TAR, I usually remove the soggy log and replace it with a waterproof or water resistant paper log--you can sign those even if they are damp. Then I email the cache owner and ask how they want me to handle the log--I offer to mail the log to them, send digital pics, or just hang on to it until I see them at an event.

So far, not many owners have been overly concerned about the old log. I've probably replaced about 20 logs for far and only a handful of people have asked me to do anything special with the old log.

*One person was going to see me that week at an event, and asked me to bring the log to them if I remembered.

*One owner asked me to check to see if one certain cacher had signed the log (They had)

*Another asked if I would just send them a list of the signatures (I was happy to type up the list of about 20 names--I included one cacher's comments about how much they enjoyed the cache. Interestingly enough, only 11 people logged the cache online).

*Another owner merely asked me if I minded checking the log against the online logs and letting them know if there were any problems or comments they should know about.

I've heard people say someone became irate with them for removing a log, but that hasn't happend to me so far. I can't see where it would matter as long as you get the log to the owner if they want it. If I weren't willing to do that, I wouldn't remove the old log.

We always try to dry out or add a new log sheet when we come across one that is damp. If i do replace it then i make sure not to put the damp log with the new one, as the damp one will never dry out in a container and only cause the new one to get damp itself. If i can, i will put the old one in a separate baggie and leave with the cache. I'll keep it if i think i will be seeing the owner soon so that i can give it back if he wants it. It goes to the trash if it is too far gone and unreadable. I always make note of this in my online log so that the owner can take action if he or she wants to.

Our group found a micro the other day that was soaking wet inside. We made a new logsheet and put it into a new baggie since we didn't have time to dry the old log out. We were away from our home area so i decided to leave the old log in it's original baggie and hide it next to the cache so that the owner could grab it if he wanted. Of course i made sure to tell the owner what we did too!

Thanks for the replies so far - Im getting the feeling most cache owners have are cool :huh: with replacing or attempted repairs if feasible and as long as the owner is contacted. I have 1 placed and know that would be fine with me - I wasnt sure about useing "maint request" vs. "notes" vs. direct email. :D I never feel right about leving a cache in bad condition for the next finder as well as the owner.

:D Please do continue to add replies - Let everyone know its ok (or not) or special rememberable repair stories / maybe youve adopted a cache (officially/unofficially) / Maybe had to refind the next day or taken whole caches "back to your shop" for repairs.

:D Think Ill start taking some repair items with me - extra mini/standard logbooks - plastic bags, pencils, etc.

I don't think adding a temp log is a problem,but it does need a maint. note in addition. It is a PIA to get all the way to a cache and not have a log, but sometimes life conspires against us and it cannot get replaced right away. Temps help if done right. I carry extra small bags to put the wet one in and add the temp.

One of the 17 I found today was a plastic coffee can - I literally had to pour the water out of it!

Dried out the container, fortunately all the contents were in bags and dry, but the log was soaked.

Replaced the log and took the old wet one.

Cached all day with the log on my dashboard, so the logsheet dried out.

Happened to pass the cache on the way home so I stopped and exchanged logs, putting the dried-out original back in, and found that 2 more cachers had found it during the day and signed my temp log!

Funny!

If only slightly wet I dry them out, if that is not easy to do I replace it. I carry plenty of extra logs and baggies and will leave the old log in the container if it will fit in a different baggie. If the log won't fit I take it home and send a PM letting the owner know and ask if they want the names transcribbed or the list snail mailed etc, so far no takers. I will also replace the container if it is a 35mm type (I carry a few), or make what ever field repairs I can. A few of times I have placed new containers in places that seemed to be missing one and sent locations as to where I placed them to the owners. I only do this if I see that the last few logs were DNF and I am able to return and get my container if it is a mistake (or let the owner know he can keep it if he checks it first).

v/r

O-Mega