Northeast NJ caching lull?

Woodlit

Ah!!! Winter Geocaching, yeah, its cold out but a nice brisk hike get the blood flowing and geocaching warms the heart. The trails can be very peaceful and scenic this time of year, its a different perspective hiking with the light snow, crossing frozen pond and steams. Its interesting to see all the various animal tracks that are scurrying out in search of survival, fox, rabbit, deer etc...and even a nice deer sliding across an icy pond, whoops!!, animals slip too!!

Winter is also a good time to knock of the caches that are placed in swampy areas too, frozen ground and no mesquites to worry about!! We all have to balance our time, and that in itself can be a challenge. We all enjoy the outdoors and have geocached in all different climates, so bundle up and enjoy a nice winter hike.

There is no lull here to speak of, I placed 12 caches in the last few weeks, so get out and enjoy. Happy Caching, "Old Navy" :cry::huh::huh:

Ah!!! Winter Geocaching, yeah, its cold out but a nice brisk hike get the blood flowing and geocaching warms the heart. The trails can be very peaceful and scenic this time of year, its a different perspective hiking with the light snow, crossing frozen pond and steams. Its interesting to see all the various animal tracks that are scurrying out in search of survival, fox, rabbit, deer etc...and even a nice deer sliding across an icy pond, whoops!!, animals slip too!!

Winter is also a good time to knock of the caches that are placed in swampy areas too, frozen ground and no mesquites to worry about!! We all have to balance our time, and that in itself can be a challenge. We all enjoy the outdoors and have geocached in all different climates, so bundle up and enjoy a nice winter hike.

There is no lull here to speak of, I placed 12 caches in the last few weeks, so get out and enjoy. Happy Caching, "Old Navy" :mad::):mad:

Yea, and who do we think we are? Rookie of the year 2007

the famous...deb

There is no lull here to speak of, I placed 12 caches in the last few weeks, so get out and enjoy. Happy Caching, "Old Navy" :rolleyes::blink::lol:

I agree totally. Skigirl and I were backpacking in Harriman this weekend. It was an invigorating winter night out under the stars and you don't have to worry about keeping the tent zippered up to keep the bugs out. We even managed to find a cache on while on the trail.

Remember, there is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing.

*snip

Remember, there is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing.

I try to tell my family/co-workers that. They just shake their heads... I tell them its not bad at all if they dress properly. I usually get this, odd response, when I tell them to dress better. "Bundle up to go outside in this cold??"

That doesn't make any sense to me.

Speaking of dressing for the cold: I had a curious phenomenon on Sunday AM on the way to Beech Mtn, the vapors escaping through the micro fleece beenie I was wearing were freezing on the outer surface, so ice formed on the outer surface of the beenie. I was toasty--it was a balmy 6 degrees at 7 AM--The fleece and polyester clothing of today is great for keeping warm without bulk--and bargains right now can't be beat. Anyone have any keep warm tips.

Anyone have any keep warm tips.

Here are some:

-Don't overdress if you are going to be active. If you start sweating, you will be cold.

-Wear layers. Several thinner layers will be warmer than a single heavy jacket. And you can add and remove layers as needed. Don't hesitate to remove layers if you are too warm.

-Stick with synthetic (Polartec fleece and polypro) and wool clothing. Cotton retains water (including sweat) and will make you colder. The same properties that make cotton so comfortable in the summer can kill you in the winter.

-Wear a scarf or fleece neck gaiter and a windproof hat.

-Wear appropriate footwear. If you wear sneakers you will have cold feet. I find thicker wool socks and regular leather hiking boots are fine for most conditions as long as I'm active. Pac type boots like Sorels are a good choice if you aren't going to be active.

-Pack extra clothing. If you're cold you can't add clothing if you didn't bring it along. I like to keep dry socks and a down vest in my backpack (down packs real small) along with a heavy Polartec pullover and a wind/waterproof layer (if I'm not already wearing one).

-Find shelter from the wind if you are stopping for lunch or a break.

Cotton clothing is notoriously bad for winter wear.

Polypro long underwear/ or micro fleece under a nylon type of windpants is the way to go. Lose the blue jeans is my advice.

I have used those little disposable handwarmers to create a lower temperature rating on my sleeping bag. Throw a couple of them in the bag and I can take a20 degree bag down to 0.

-Don't overdress if you are going to be active. If you start sweating, you will be cold.

-Wear layers. Several thinner layers will be warmer than a single heavy jacket. And you can add and remove layers as needed. Don't hesitate to remove layers if you are too warm.

I never hesitate to remove those layers...I have been known to hike in shorts on occasion when it's 30 degrees out :P

I have broken the cotton rule sometimes though - gotta get some more winter clothing :P

Speaking of dressing for the cold: I had a curious phenomenon on Sunday AM on the way to Beech Mtn, the vapors escaping through the micro fleece beenie I was wearing were freezing on the outer surface, so ice formed on the outer surface of the beenie. I was toasty--it was a balmy 6 degrees at 7 AM--The fleece and polyester clothing of today is great for keeping warm without bulk--and bargains right now can't be beat. Anyone have any keep warm tips.

Is the Beech Mtn you're talking about the one in northeastern PA? Just curious since we're quite familiar with that place as our parents/in-laws (depending who's writing this :laughing:) have a 2nd home there.