Northeast NJ caching lull?

Woodlit

I've noticed lately (past three months) that caching in northern NJ has gone down. By that I mean, cachers lay dormant.

Morris and Sussex county has always been a caching hot spot. But over the past few months, I'm not seeing all of the regulars finding and hiding caches.

What is really strange, is when a super well known hider (well known for awesome caches) hides a cache, and only one or two people find it, and then it sits for weeks, maybe even a month.

Whats up with that?

This has happened to me twice. When summer time comes, I usually stop caching. To humid for me. But when it comes time for me to start caching again, i've woken up to tons of new caches. So it has its benefits.

So the question is, what is everybody doing?

1. errrr life gets in the way, geocaching takes a back seat

2. Winter? to cold (even though its been mild so far)

3. Stopping, to let the caches around me re-generate.

4. I'm tired, would rather watch TV

5. I'm working double triple over time, to pay rising taxes :-(

Like I said, when I stop it is because of option #3. But what does everybody else think?

For me it's 2. Last time I was out for a whole day was 3 weeks ago... If it wasn't for work I'd go caching in the south in the winter and come back here in Spring. I don't mind the heat - bring on the humidity - but the cold - boy that fireplace next to my sofa looks very nice.... On the other hand I am starting to get itchy feet - and I love all the great WMAs in NJ - so I'll back back over soon ;)

We're lovin' the lull ! Us Pennsy cachers now have a good shot at FTFs in Jersey!

Actually, we've noticed the same thing. We got FTF on two caches WEEKS ago and no one's been to them since.

Weird thing I don't get, is some sit for DAYS before we get there. One sat for four days before we showed up. Got an e-mail two days later, saying "How about letting us get some of "our own" caches." I replied immediately with, " It sat for four days. How much time do you need ?"

It HAS been cold out.

Edited by cerberus1

For me, it's been #1. My son (ACE 2090) needed surgery and will have a lengthy recovery so I haven't been out to place as many as I usually do this time of year (I think I have only hid 10 or 11 over the last few months). I am also placing more work intensive caches - Station Park Kids Cache - "Call of the Wild" probably took 50 hours of work to pull together.

I really miss being out so I am hoping my drought won't be too long. :huh:

Things typically slow down in the winter. But to some extent, I think the FTF hunt obsession has really changed the complexion of the early life of a cache.

The first handful of finds on a cache seem to be coming in the first two days of a cache publication. I also suspect that once a FTF is gone on the cache, some of the interest wanes.

Anyway, with the exception of a being out for two weekend due to the flu, I really haven't changed my cache seeking patterns. On the contrary to what the OP noted, I think the placement activity in the Central Jersey and deep South Jersey regions has been at the top of the curve for a couple weeks.

There have been about 10 caches placed in what I like to call my dash and cache range. (10-12miles). Several of these I'm saving for the spring, because that is the best time to visit those spots.

I'm not sure "FTF hunt obsession" is entirely accurate...

For us, we simply see a new cache and go for it. If we happen to be FTF , great!

Woodlit himself has a very cool cache that has only been accessed twice in weeks, BOTH by Pennsy cachers. (1 attempted, 1 found)

Driving to Jersey from Pennsy is not cheap. 100+ mile round trip seems to be the norm. FTF may be the draw, but we usually hit a few others that have been on our list afterwards . Did just that yesterday on Edison Rd. (FTF was a Jersey cacher by the way.)

One I don't get, is why would 6 people "watch" a cache and never go to it ? Though I've been told that at least NOW, they know it's there. Found that a lot of times, a group of "regulars" will go together on a long loop (lotta caches) or tougher cache and it seems to make it fun. So maybe folks are just waiting for a batch to accumulate.

Yesterday, went to a cache that was 80' off, so maybe "the watchers" get a little hint ?

STILL think it's the cold keeping most folks home.

We are still going out. Averaging about 25 caches a month, which is about normal for us no matter the time of the year. Most of what's close is already found, so we have to venture out farther. We found 4 on friday. Yesterday and today is single digits with a lot of wind blowing, so we aren't going anywhere. Next saturday is an event, that we might go to. We go out in the snow, but when it's single digits with wind chill below zero, we tend to not go out much.

Anyone looking at my cache number recently would think I'm just hangin' out, when just the opposite is true. Quoddy and I hit the trails every day, for treks of up to 8 about miles. Occasionally I've done a cache in the area, but usually it's just the challenge of the route itself. Lovin' the cold and snow.

What is really strange, is when a super well known hider (well known for awesome caches) hides a cache, and only one or two people find it, and then it sits for weeks, maybe even a month.

Whats up with that?

I think it has something to do with numbers. There are so many caches out there now, that there is a lot of "competetion" and no one cache will see a lot of visits. That is unles unless there is something to bring a lot of people to an area. For example my caches in Ramapo reservation were hit sporadically for a long time, but now with the geocoin giveaway in the nearby Gerbil cache, all my area caches are getting hit regularly.

It's too cold out there! Dolphin hates cold! It was 14º this morning with a stiff breeze off the Hudson! And we spent 45 minutes on a DNF on a 1.5/1. :huh:

But, it's also true that caches are getting further and few between. All depends where we're caching or benchmarking. But no long hikes in this kind of weather. Five for six this weekend.

It's too cold out there! Dolphin hates cold! It was 14º this morning with a stiff breeze off the Hudson! And we spent 45 minutes on a DNF on a 1.5/1. :huh:

But, it's also true that caches are getting further and few between. All depends where we're caching or benchmarking. But no long hikes in this kind of weather. Five for six this weekend.

But the coldness is an asset on some caches. (Hint Hint Hint). Even thought the head slave has a bad cold, Tiffany's Slaves were out today for a swamp cache that is much tougher in warm weather.

I think that goes for almost anybody. The closer they get to a milestone, the more they get excited, the more caches they do.

Right now I think i'm 4 away from 300. But that has only slowed me down. I've been searching for good caches to make my 300, but am undecided on which one I want to do.

The more I think about it, the more I find myself checking out the PUC caches, and checking with my boss about how many vacation days I have left earned :laughing:

I now worry about my personal safety when I'm hiking/walking alone in the woods--

Ditto.

I always leave a destination on the kitchen counter before I leave. Always park in an official parking lot and there is no more walking in the woods with a peice of paper and a gps. There are water bottles and first aid, and cell phones, whistles, etc, etc.

Edited by Packanack

I know that I am not from NJ, and it's been awhile since I cached in the Garden State. But, for me, a fine educator for today's children, work really consumes most of my free time (until the spring & summer months, of course). I try to give myself one weekend day to cache, but the weather has not cooperated lately. I'm close to #600, and I cannot find the time to cache. :laughing:

I completely agree with the FTF theory that cerberus has.

I think there are too many c&d micros out there. And, I hate micros.

My geo-buddy stiffler & I formulated this theory: over 80% of geocachers hate long and/or grueling hikes. Then when they do a cache with a hike, it's the greatest find in the world.

I own over ten caches. Those located in township parks get considerably more traffic than those with a hike associated with them. In fact, one of my caches states on the cache page "a 3.8 mile hike with an elevation change of 430 feet" It's a member's only cache, so I can see who is looking at it and how often. It's been available since mid-April and eight geocachers have logged it. Compared to one of my three in the twp park, 64 logs! Lately, there is just a different "breed" of geocachers out there.

Oh, and trailhound, I think JD (eaglespirit) has seen every fictitous creature possible throughout his time caching :laughing:

*snip

My geo-buddy stiffler & I formulated this theory: over 80% of geocachers hate long and/or grueling hikes. Then when they do a cache with a hike, it's the greatest find in the world.

I don't do the ones that require long hikes. Not because I hate them, but its just that I'm not that avid of a hiking fan. I think the longest one I did, was about 1.5 miles one way, and I don't think I'd do any that were longer than that. When the scenery is nice thats one thing, but I hate to say it, but just walking down a trail can get boring after a mile :unsure:

Lately I've been trying to hide caches that have a different challenge at the end. Two require waders (Well one you can do in the winter on the ice), one that absolutely requires climbing gear, and another that requires some sort of equipment, which is left totally up to you. Those are the types of caches that I have been trying to get into lately. But northern NJ is lacking in those.

I've been trying to search (pq's) for caches that require some preparation. But all the hard ones I'm finding are all puzzle caches, or are labeled as traditionals and the first line says, "solve the puzzle/cipher/etc". Which is fine but i'm not into that type of cache. I'd rather spend time physically doing something challenging, then mentally doing something challenging. I guess I'm going to have to go out and buy a canoe :P

So that kinda slows me down. I'll shoot down a list of caches and not even look at the page because the rating is to low. But then after not finding any, I get bored with myself and just pick the closest cache to me, whatever it may be and go for that one :)

Reason #1 for me - been neglecting the family too much. However, I've been waiting to do certain nearby caches for about 2 years (and at least one new cache) now, and the weather seems perfect for it. Need to find the time!!!!

But also, the sun seems to hide itself a bit too much this time of year.

1.Haven't you heard?????.......BIGFOOT!!!!!

There have been several Bigfoot sitings reported in the Ringwood/Mahwah area.

2. My comment about personal safety does not mean that I would give up the activity, I was merely commenting that anyone who goes off caching alone on a substantial hike should be prepared and that it is a very legitimate concern. It may be the determining factor for someone. It should not turn into a deal killer if you take some rudimentary precautions. Although I went to place a cache two weeks ago and the demands of the hike thwarted me entirely--I sensed that I was pushing my own personal envelope of safety and aborted the attempt after 3 hours and went home.

3. My time for caching is limited to Sunday morning, between the hours of awakening at 5:30 AM and returning home around 11AM, I can then avoid almost any conflicts with family obligations. I can be on trail at 7 in most sections of Northern NJ --winter is a very pleasant time to be on the trail in many areas.

Other than that, I am limited to lunchtime walks. So I will not rack up impressive numbers, I still get to have some fun. Maybe some people who are limited in time would like to come along some Sunday morning.

2. My comment about personal safety does not mean that I would give up the activity, I was merely commenting that anyone who goes off caching alone on a substantial hike should be prepared and that it is a very legitimate concern. It may be the determining factor for someone.

Roger That!!!.... Before I would go caching day to day without any cares in the world, If I left any note or phone call it was so brief only saying “Gone Caching Today” So if I got into any trouble on the trail, like a slip, fall, or if one of the many Sparta bears decided that today was my unlucky day and it should pounce on me, I would of been left to die on the trail...Also on another note, When I was actively seeking FTF's, I made myself and vehicle an easy target for some muggle to do harm, since all he/she had to do is wait near the cache or parking lot, and I was it’s prey for the day... I don’t mean to alarm or scare anybody from this post. Heck, I'm sure some of you will get a good laugh from this,Since most people would remember me as a cacher of who never cared about safety. But now when i'm caching, I’m just being little more security cautious and safety minded these days.. And I'll say that's a good thing!!!

2. My comment about personal safety does not mean that I would give up the activity, I was merely commenting that anyone who goes off caching alone on a substantial hike should be prepared and that it is a very legitimate concern. It may be the determining factor for someone.

Roger That!!!.... Before I would go caching day to day without any cares in the world, If I left any note or phone call it was so brief only saying “Gone Caching Today” So if I got into any trouble on the trail, like a slip, fall, or if one of the many Sparta bears decided that today was my unlucky day and it should pounce on me, I would of been left to die on the trail...

Don't be picking on my Sparta bears...they haven't hurt anyone.

Bear mace, a buck knife, a cowardly (big) dog and a liter of water and I am off into the great unknown. I can't wait to get back out there.

PS - I always carry a personal location device as well.

Bear mace, a buck knife, a cowardly (big) dog and a liter of water and I am off into the great unknown. I can't wait to get back out there.

PS - I always carry a personal location device as well.

I can confirm the bears are fine - I have seen many of them (also the Wittingham ones) and they all left me alone (kind of)... I also ditto the personal location device. Very often the biggest 'enemy' in caching - especially in the winter - for me is no cellphone reception. Two winters ago I slipped on black ice on a rock while crossing a stream. I was able to limp back to the car (which was about 2 miles away) - but had I not been: there was no cell-reception in the area. The only footprints within at least a mile of the spot where mine and the snow that I made them in was over 1 week old. That prompted me to get the location device. I hopefully will never need it - but I learned that my cellphone is useless in most of my real fun caching adventures (read: the ones far off the beaten track).... If it warms up a little towards the weekend I might just try for more snow and black ice :huh:

Honestly, I now feel better knowing they haven't hurt anybody. But still till this day they are wild animals and I don't want to get close enough to find out. So for my own fear & safety, I'll refrain from walking in their natural habitat unless I have a few other people with me...One good scare in my life was enough thank you!!! But, If I had a dog like yours...I wouldn't mind them bears at all.

BTW: Just look at that man who got attacked by that Mountain Lion in the news the other day. I hear people all the time saying they don't bother anyone. They are just big cats...And look what it did to him. So I guess I'll just use my own caution... Cache on my friend!!!!

Wow.. is this price and information true I found???

The GPS Personal Locator will sell for $399.99, plus monthly service plans that are comparable to other mobile devices, like cell phones, or your Internet service.

Guess I'll stick with a mirror method if they cost that much???Anybody see them for a lower price???

Edited by Three Simple Words

I'm sure adding a side arm to your geocaching bag probably wont' help much with large wild animals, but i'm sure it would help with your mental state :huh:

Yes thats me, gun control = being able to hit your target.

I know some people worry about getting injured and what not on the trails, and try to pack their geocaching bags accordingly, but I heard the best preparation is the mental kind.

I think a great safety device is a hiking staff or hiking poles, enhanced stability protects from falls, which I believe is the greatest danger. A bad fall stays in your mind for a long time.

Another issue is where you park your car. If it remains at an official parking area too long, the police who patrol the area will take note. There was an article in the Star Ledger today about vehicles with dash mounted GPS devices being targeted for break in. Do not leave them out to view, and don't leave other things in plan view to tempt a break in.

Edited by Packanack

Wow.. is this price and information true I found???

The GPS Personal Locator will sell for $399.99, plus monthly service plans that are comparable to other mobile devices, like cell phones, or your Internet service.

Guess I'll stick with a mirror method if they cost that much???Anybody see them for a lower price???

Not quite.

This is what I have:

ACR TerraFix 406 GPS Interface/Onboard Personal Locator Beacon

URL http://www.acrterrafix.com/

Lowest price around $650

No monthly service charge

I like the specs of your unit Geobernd...

since this was one of the typs of units I was looking at... Is it any good???

Does anybody know someone with this type of unit???

Thanks for your time in advance...

The Navicom GPS Personal Locator unit

features: Programmable GeoFence, battery saving sleep mode, USB port, 256K of

flash memory, a data logger and unlimited GPS tracking. The Navicom GPS

Personal Locator is available directly through Navicom with retail pricing

around $489 plus a small unlimited usage fee. More information visit http://www.NOWTRAQ.com.

Then I was looking at this unit one also... http://www.laipac.com/personal_locator_gps.htm this way the family can track my daily movements when i'm out caching,hiking, or cycling... Anybody want to share their opions on this unit???

Note: If i had this type of unit, i'm sure that my caching{Lull} wouldn't be so bad...I feal that if i had one of these units on me, I would feal safer on the longer hikes in the woods...

BTW:The website for NOWTRAQ is down as I post it, Does that mean their service is also down???

I'm sure adding a side arm to your geocaching bag probably wont' help much with large wild animals, but i'm sure it would help with your mental state :huh:

Yes thats me, gun control = being able to hit your target.

I know some people worry about getting injured and what not on the trails, and try to pack their geocaching bags accordingly, but I heard the best preparation is the mental kind.

Dittto...If NJ. Was a shall issue state like PA. And FL. On it’s concealed carry laws. Yes I would carry a side arm for protection in the woods. But since the laws in NJ. Don’t allow me, Guess my only resort is to find some hi-tec electronic device that will calm my mental state on the trail.....

I've noticed the lull as well. I would say that a combination of the holidays, cold weather and some tricky trail conditions would point towards the cause. Then of course there is Bigfoot and the Sparta bears. I never believed in Bigfoot until I saw trailhound's photo evidence. As for the bears, they don't bother me as much as they do Deddog. I'll never forget the site of him with that survival knife......I'm like...."What are you gonna do with that?? Pick the rotting hiker out of his teeth??" On a serious note, black bears are really no problem if you use common sense. Make some noise. Let them know you are there. Never put the bear in a situation were it is cornered and stay away from the cute little cubs. If you want to play with the real bears, take a trip to Killarney Provincial Park. To hike the interior there you need to get a permit from the rangers and sign a waiver. The ranger then gives you some maps and a small booklet on avoiding / surviving bear attacks.

The biggest problem with the second one you posted that I see is that it relies on some kind of cellphone network. In very large areas where I hike and cache there is no cellphone reception. So any system would need to be based on a global satellite network (which the ACR one is - it's the same emergency beacon network that Aviation and Shipping uses around the globe).

I can't tell you how good the ACR works as I have never had to use it and I hopefully never need to. In theory you unfold the antenna - push the button and wait for rescue... Only to be used in dire emergencies with direct danger for loss of life or limb.

The biggest problem with the second one you posted that I see is that it relies on some kind of cellphone network. In very large areas where I hike and cache there is no cellphone reception. So any system would need to be based on a global satellite network (which the ACR one is - it's the same emergency beacon network that Aviation and Shipping uses around the globe).

I can't tell you how good the ACR works as I have never had to use it and I hopefully never need to. In theory you unfold the antenna - push the button and wait for rescue... Only to be used in dire emergencies with direct danger for loss of life or limb.

I have this unit (and also am pleased not have ever used it). In addition to what geobernd outlines above, you can pre-enter your hike destination into their website before you leave so that if your signal goes off, they (Search & Rescue) can find you faster. I hope that it never does anything more than add weight to my backpack. However, if you enjoy deep woods hikes where you might be alone - it is a very good thing to have and much more reliable than things that rely on cell phone technology.

Just wanted to say thank you guys for all your help on explaining this hi-tech product....When I take into count all the hours I spend outdoors in a year...I guess the price of this unit is very reasonable when it comes to my life....Since i can use this device when I'm hiking, trail running,kayaking,fly-fishing,boating,cycling,camping,and when i'm spending the day geocaching...

BTW: I found two caches this week..Yeah no more Lull for me....

So the question is, what is everybody doing?

1. errrr life gets in the way, geocaching takes a back seat

2. Winter? to cold (even though its been mild so far)

3. Stopping, to let the caches around me re-generate.

4. I'm tired, would rather watch TV

5. I'm working double triple over time, to pay rising taxes :-(

But what does everybody else think?

Let's see...

#1 above: Starting to, only in that all the ones that are close by (except for a couple of DNF's we have to go back and try) we either did or are really too tough to take the small kids too (either terrain-wise or it takes enough searching that they will get bored and cranky)

#2 above: It was mild until mid-January and has did a complete reversal since then (so much for global warming, eh :blink:). But this is probably our main reason, would be more so if there were more snow cover. In addition to too cold, limited daylight (i.e. can't try any after work, even limited weekend time vs. other things). We're trying to do some virtuals and C&D micros when we can right now.

#3 above: For us that is similar to #1 above as we described.

#4 above: I think most cachers are either NOT the "#4 type" or actually cache because they do too much of #4 and need to get out and exercise.

#5 above: For some it may be "I'm working unpaid overtime just to keep my job" <_<. Also, it seems many cachers are in jobs that are hours-intensive so either way #5 may be a factor (though hopefully caching helps them keep a healthy sense of balance :()

I haven't been racking up new cache finds as frequently simply because I've gotten to nearly all that are relatively close and convenient. It certainly isn't the weather, which up to two weeks ago was downright balmy. I don't mind the cold at all, although I'm less likely to make a long trek in this weather, and I do prefer it over the hot. Now to get a new cache I have to drive for a good 30-45 minutes, then make the hike and search, then the return drive, so it becomes more of a problem to find the time to go off for a hunt.

The many personal safety comments are interesting. I do now make sure I have plenty of water, proper clothing, batteries, and my cell phone. Certainly I've gotten better from when I'd go off hiking sans even a map (I use to wind up in the strangest places). But I admit to not going out as thoroughly prepared as I might be, although I make more of an effort for longer hikes in the more isolated areas.

I am now slightly more concerned about bears after seemingly having briefly been a person of interest to a bear up in Ringwood a couple of months ago. I now have a bear whistle and my common sense, which I hope is enough for any future encounters. Also, I'm more careful in regards to snakes. I try not to think about mountain lions, if there are really any of them out there looking for lone geocachers. I try not to do anything stupid or overextend myself but accidents can happen

I'll continue hiking alone much of the time only because I'd not get out much if I waited for the far less frequent opportunities to go out with a buddy.

I just got bored with geocaching for a bit. I mean, how many hide-a-keys can you find. I just lost interest for a while, but started again on a limited basis. I'll probably steer clear of micro-caches for a while (more because I suck at finding them).

That said, I LOVE the hikes (and the more challenging terrain). Winter's the best time to hike!

Safety-wise, you're safer in the woods than you'd be in NYC...

Hope to run into some old friends while caching and make some new ones too!