paperless cacheing

dwayne23

Ok, I finely got a palm it is a Palm Z22. What is the best software to use, Keep in mind I have never owned one of these before. I have been reading about a lot of software and need some advise from others. What is the easest to use and will work with this palm.

Dwayne23.

Thanks for the help in advanced because you have never let me down.

Edited by dwayne23

Ok, I finely got a palm it is a Palm Z22. What is the best software to use, Keep in mind I have never owned one of these before. I have been reading about a lot of software and need some advise from others. What is the easest to use and will work with this palm.

Dwayne23.

Hi dwayne23,

I had the same questions a while back and learned how to put to all together useing GSAK on my computer and CacheMate software on my palm. I got the information from this site.

http://65.34.18.106/content.php?article.15 It just took some reading and a couple hours to figure it all out. A couple hours for me, but will probably take much less time for a normal computer kind of person. I just had a learning,,No, A heck of a time with Palm. But now that I have got past that, it's a piece a cake. Good luck, you will really enjoy it. There are some cost involved for GSAK and CacheMate. I can't recall how much but I think together it's less than 25-30 bucks. Best $ I have spent in years.

Set Your Geocaching Name

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Use this dialog box to tell GSAK how to correctly identify you for the automatic calculation of placed and found caches.

The most reliable "Method for matching placed (hidden) and found caches" (also available via GSAK Tools>Options>General) is to use your Ownder ID#. Don't know your Owner ID#? You can easily locate it using one of the following approaches:

1) If you have placed (hidden) caches: Go to the geocaching.com page for a cache you own and download the GPX file for that cache. Load the GPX file into your GSAK database. Add the "Owner ID" column to your GSAK view. Locate the cache you own in the GSAK Grid View and copy down the number from the "Owner ID" column.

2) If you have found caches: Go the geocaching.com page of a cache you recently found and download the GPX file for that cache. Open the GPX file with any text editor (e.g. Notepad, Wordpad, Microsoft Word, Word Perfect). Search (Edit>Find in most text editors) for the Geocaching.com name under which you logged the cache. This should take you to a line that looks like this: <Groundspeak:finder id="123456">Geocacher</Groundspeak:finder>. Your Owner ID# is the number right after "Groundspeak:finder id=".

3) If you don't own any caches and haven't found any caches: Log into geocaching.com and click on "Forums" in the menu on the left side of the page. Scroll down and click "Enter the Groundspeak Forums". Click on the "Getting Started" forum, then click on the "Testing, Testing…Test Posting Area". Click on the "Add Reply" button. Type anything in the entry box (e.g. Just testing) and then scroll down and click on the "Add Reply" button. Hover your cursor over (don't click) your geocaching name in the upper left corner of the post you just added. Your OwnerID# will appear in the status bar at the bottom of your browser window, immediately after "showuser=".

Choose the Geocaching name radio button to specify your name exactly: only those caches by this name will be identified.

Choose Use gc.com Login ID to use the www.geocaching.com Owner ID to identify you.

You can change this selection at any time by choosing Tools Þ Options, and changing the Method for matching placed (hidden) caches fields.

Dwayne23.

There is also "JCache" ... a JAVA program for mobile phones and other JAVA enabled mobile devices.

It works as a browser for GPX files. You simply load the GPX files (that you get from GC.com) onto your mobile phone, etc. Then you start JCache select the file and can search for the cache code you are interested in.

It displays information such as name, container, size, difficulty, terrain, short and long description, decoded hint, and the last 5 logs.

Alternatively to the GPX file you can obtain the information directly from the web.

http://www.hschmidt.de/JCache

Best,

Henning