Submerging an Ammo Box

Hi.

Please do not use a polluting chemical such as brake fluid or grease on something you plan to submerge. Thank you.

Also be mindful of where you submerge. If it could cause disruption to amphibian eggs and breeding habitat when people hunt for it, be advised that there is a worldwide amphibian decline, caused by several different factors, and that there may be consequences to the sport if a geocache is found to cause habitat damage at a breeding location.

City parks or water ways infested by American Bullfrogs are probably OK. But if it is a breeding site of say, California Red-Legged Frog or Mountain Yellow-Legged Frog, both species (as well as many others across the world) have had nearly 90% of their former range reduced and are species of critical concern, so messing with their habitat even in non preserve areas can potentially result in legal trouble.

Any submerged cache will undoubtedly require additional attention/maintenance. Each time the cache is retrieved a small amount of water will find it's way inside the container. Repeated opening an closing will also wear out any seals on the ammo box and any contents may get mold/mildew.

I would insert another container inside the ammo box like a decent tupperware and request that cachers tell you if the ammo box seals are failing.

Edited by adampierson

Hi.

Please do not use a polluting chemical such as brake fluid or grease on something you plan to submerge. Thank you.

Also be mindful of where you submerge. If it could cause disruption to amphibian eggs and breeding habitat when people hunt for it, be advised that there is a worldwide amphibian decline, caused by several different factors, and that there may be consequences to the sport if a geocache is found to cause habitat damage at a breeding location.

City parks or water ways infested by American Bullfrogs are probably OK. But if it is a breeding site of say, California Red-Legged Frog or Mountain Yellow-Legged Frog, both species (as well as many others across the world) have had nearly 90% of their former range reduced and are species of critical concern, so messing with their habitat even in non preserve areas can potentially result in legal trouble.

What would you reccomend to use for cleaning the gunk off an ammo can? Also I'm assuming that standard spray paint would be fine to use to paint the can.

Personally I think it would be easier to submerge one of those lexan water bottles.

I would avoid using an ammo can. The seals are just too unreliable over time being under the pressure from the water. All the suggestions for brake fluid and silicone grease are fine, but you'll be needing maintenance on the can frequently. You can totally forget it if it's going to be in salt or brackish water. Ammo cans are made of steel and will corrode. I found a cache in Florida that was hidden in ankle-deep water. The box was still water-tight, but the latch was rusted so much that it broke off.