learnd knew trick for garmin

Arndtwe

the other day i was reading something about mr GPSr, and came across this. (for garmin 76) if you hold down the enter button then turn on the unit, you will get a test page. here you can see the different software currently used, the frequency, and even tell the temperature (in celcius) using the built in thermometer. i thought this was awsome and just had to tell everyone. there are number of other tricks as well, and not only for the 76.

the other day i was reading something about mr GPSr, and came across this. (for garmin 76) if you hold down the enter button then turn on the unit, you will get a test page. here you can see the different software currently used, the frequency, and even tell the temperature (in celcius) using the built in thermometer. i thought this was awsome and just had to tell everyone. there are number of other tricks as well, and not only for the 76.

Okay.... I've gotta ask: what is this "frequency" that is shown on your Garmin screen when you do this Easter Egg-type trick?

Okay.... I've gotta ask: what is this "frequency" that is shown on your Garmin screen when you do this Easter Egg-type trick?

not sure what purpose it serves, but its still cool

Cool, works on my etrex legend cx too

the reason is becuase the thermometer is for adjusting the contrast automatically.

Actually the thermometer is for keeping the internal time correct, since the crystals of the internal clock need to be temperature corrected to be accurate enough.

GermanSailor

That is correct. The contrast does not self correct, but will change as the screen temperature changes, darker when it is hot, lighter when it is cold. Fortunately, it is easy to adjust manually.

cool! you learn something knew everyday! :huh:

That is correct. The contrast does not self correct, but will change as the screen temperature changes, darker when it is hot, lighter when it is cold. Fortunately, it is easy to adjust manually.

My old black & white eTrex Vista does auto-correct the contrast. Some Garmin engineer finally figured out they could put that internal temperature sensor to a second use.

None of this works on my 60CSx. Anyone know whether this model also has a thermometer?

Why isn't the thermometer accessible through the documented software? Such a feature is certainly mighty useful and could be advertised as a selling point.

Probabally because it is of no real use to the user. It's not an accurate measure of ambient temperature.

It's the internal temperature of the components.

oh and by the way here is where i learned this stuff http://www.gpsinformation.org/dale/secret.htm

None of this works on my 60CSx. Anyone know whether this model also has a thermometer?

Why isn't the thermometer accessible through the documented software? Such a feature is certainly mighty useful and could be advertised as a selling point.

if you look at the website i found this stuff, you will see there are tricks for the 60 as well. :unsure:

It does indeed work on a 60CSx, you just have to hold the on/off button slightly longer than when you just want to power up the unit. I had to hold it for about 3 seconds.

This Screendump is from my 60CSx, only edited to blot out the serial number, so yes xImage does work already there.

TestScreen.png

The bottom-left part is for testing the buttons and when you press

you toggle through several test patterns for the screen.

ProsperoDK/René