Pranks on fellow cachers...

BiT

What pranks have you pulled on fellow cachers. Here is one of mine on a night cache a while back. Terminal of the Insane, check out the Oct. 23, 2005 logs.

The best geocaching prank I know of was pulled off by a geocacher who is going to have extremely limited internet access for oh, at least the next several years. B)

It's a story involving one of UsMorrow's caches, an imaginary Niece, a rabid skunk, a bayou, mud, a lost GPSr, an emergency room visit, a phone call, a can-O-whoopa$s, and an omonous knock at UsMorrow's front door. ;)

It's my favorite geocaching story of all time and I hope I never hear it again from the lips of the prankster. :);):(

Someone onced arranged to have numerous dirty and broken golf balls delivered to me at an event.

A person involved in that recently bought a geocoin from me. I now have that person's address. ;)

I confess to being the mastermind of that prank. ;) That other cacher was quite the facilitator wasn't he? :(

A local prominent cacher once brought me up on "charges" at one of his events. (His events often have a fake courtroom, all in good fun.)

My charge was placing puzzle caches that were too hard.

So I placed my then hardest to date cache near his house and put the fake coords near his home coords.

24 feet from his home coords actually.

The cache is If Extradition Were Possible.

And if you think it is easy, please confirm your solution agains google maps. (The cache is not in water.)

Paul

PS: I got the trick for the puzzle right here in the forums!

The best geocaching prank I know of was pulled off by a geocacher who is going to have extremely limited internet access for oh, at least the next several years. B)

It's a story involving one of UsMorrow's caches, an imaginary Niece, a rabid skunk, a bayou, mud, a lost GPSr, an emergency room visit, a phone call, a can-O-whoopa$s, and an omonous knock at UsMorrow's front door. ;)

It's my favorite geocaching story of all time and I hope I never hear it again from the lips of the prankster. :);):(

Meaningless until you tell the story...

What pranks have you pulled on fellow cachers. Here is one of mine on a night cache a while back. Terminal of the Insane, check out the Oct. 23, 2005 logs.

I know one that was pulled ON me.

Last Spring, we saw a new cache pop up. Being FTF hounds at that point, we headed right out the door. We searched long and hard trying to get FTF on that "Sloop Fair Lady" cache, without success. Later, back at the apt, we started seeing Found logs from other cachers. Eventually, we returned and made the find without too much trouble, swearing we must have looked in that spot during our first visit.

Fast forward to a GeoMeet help this Fall. The host of the event comes over to chat and asks me if I ever checked to see what you could anagram from ""Sloop Fair Lady"...

-WR

It's a story involving one of UsMorrow's caches, an imaginary Niece, a rabid skunk, a bayou, mud, a lost GPSr, an emergency room visit, a phone call, a can-O-whoopa$s, and an omonous knock at UsMorrow's front door. :)

It's my favorite geocaching story of all time and I hope I never hear it again from the lips of the prankster. B);):(

Probably not for everyone....... ;)

Edited by Snoogans

Well my favorite is the multi we have near one of the static displays outside the base. (this would be under Totem Clan) I was on my way back to work from lunch and saw a car there. So I pulled up to great the person and he almost had a stroke. I was in full uniform (BDUs) is probably made it worse. He thought he was going to be in big trouble being near the aircraft. When I explained who I was and thanked him for coming to our cache he relaxed a whole lot.

It was rather funny. ;):(;)

Now that I've confessed I guess I can admit it. We've got some local cachers who are paranormal investigators. They hide a lot of caches in cemeteries and often comment about things they've seen or heard in those cemeteries. So a little over a year ago I started doing some photoshop work on pictures I took at their caches. Nothing major, just an orb here, a mist there and the occasional free-floating apparition.

I finally confessed at an event a couple weeks ago and we got a big laugh out of it. It was getting harder and harder to keep it a secret since a lot of other cachers in the area knew about the gag.

Here are some of my favorites:

351e5d69-ba94-467c-a14e-5e450b3ea8af.jpg

Medsker Cemetery. That's my mom walking out from behind a tombstone on the right. Two orbs are floating around her.

7553637b-ebd8-4575-b304-91a1c560dc7e.jpg

The Possession of Ghost Hunter. That's me peeking out from around the tree (when I was widdle).

6faa6484-0daf-4ee4-a8c6-ae1f64a9e3cb.jpg

The Ghost Hunters themselves at my Boat Drinks event. We got a big laugh out of it. ;)

Last Spring, we saw a new cache pop up. Being FTF hounds at that point, we headed right out the door. We searched long and hard trying to get FTF on that "Sloop Fair Lady" cache, without success. Later, back at the apt, we started seeing Found logs from other cachers. Eventually, we returned and made the find without too much trouble, swearing we must have looked in that spot during our first visit.

Fast forward to a GeoMeet help this Fall. The host of the event comes over to chat and asks me if I ever checked to see what you could anagram from ""Sloop Fair Lady"...

-WR

Floop Sair Fady? And here is why I cant do puzzle caches .........But It does sound like some rapper name....

-WR

Waaaay too many for ME to try to figure it out...

Anagram tool

Floop Sair Fady? And here is why I cant do puzzle caches .........But It does sound like some rapper name....

-WR

that anagram tool came up with several hundred possibilities. to many to really figure out.

A RAPIDLY FOOLS (ftf hounds?)

A RAPID FOOL SLY

A RAD POOF SILLY :)

A DAY FOR LIPS LO ;)

A LARD FOOL I SPY :(

RAPIDLY AS FOOL ;)

DAIRY FOAL SLOP was it on a farm? heh

I pulled a prank on my friend and fellow geocacher Garminarmin. He had a cache that had problems "walking away." He replaced the container, for last time, with a handcrafted, cement rock. I had spoken to him a few days before, and knew he was tired of hid cache "walking away."

My dad and I found the cache, but I told my dad to log a DNF like I did. We both logged DNFs, but quickly changed our logs to Found it. Garminarmin called me up, very upset, and asked us many times if we really DNFed. He had read the two DNF emails, but did not check his cache page. After letting him grumble for a bit, I told him the truth.

The second prank was against my good friend Marty, AKA QHCoyote. He and I had a puzzle hiding competition, with each of us trying to outsmart the other. He had me genuinely stumped, for two days, on his cache Old Rusty.Since someone else got FTF, he ribbed my for quite some time.

I decided to "get even." I hid my cache Coyote Bait for him to ponder. I knew for a fact that he always prints his cache pages, so I hid the real puzzle "behind the scenes." Little did he know, the "bait" puzzle was just that. He solved the "bait" puzzle, and proceeded to go after it. He didn't realize that the "bait" puzzle would actually take him to his cache Old Rusty.

He called me from the field, quite confused. He left me a voice mail that had me laughing for quite some time. He got to "ground zero," and realized that it was his cache. HE wasn't sure what to do, so he actually looked inside his own cache, to see if there was a clue to finding my cache. I called him back, and told him, "Congrats Marty, you took the bait!" I explained the real puzzle, and his found it log is one of my favorites.

March 3, 2006 by QHCoyote (1052 found)

5:00 pm. DANG! Coyotes are supposed to be smart, but that rascal, Kit Fox, had me jumpin' through hoops like a dog in a circus ring! Now I have to arrange for some more headaches for HIM! He's gonna revisit this cache real soon, because I took the Seven Summit geocoin and left a BadAndy Krugerrandy geocoin. Signed log as

FIRST TO FIND!

QHCoyote

Now that I've confessed I guess I can admit it. We've got some local cachers who are paranormal investigators. They hide a lot of caches in cemeteries and often comment about things they've seen or heard in those cemeteries. So a little over a year ago I started doing some photoshop work on pictures I took at their caches. Nothing major, just an orb here, a mist there and the occasional free-floating apparition. . .

CyBret, I love your new forum icon, as Flaming Carrot is my favorite hero of all time. I have just started a thread about Flaming Carrot and his geocaching exploits on the Off-Topic thread...

The best geocaching prank I know of was pulled off by a geocacher who is going to have extremely limited internet access for oh, at least the next several years. :D

It's a story involving one of UsMorrow's caches, an imaginary Niece, a rabid skunk, a bayou, mud, a lost GPSr, an emergency room visit, a phone call, a can-O-whoopa$s, and an omonous knock at UsMorrow's front door. :D

It's my favorite geocaching story of all time and I hope I never hear it again from the lips of the prankster. :D:D:D

Probably not for everyone....... :huh:

Oh, but it sounds like such a good story!

I pulled a prank on my friend and fellow geocacher Garminarmin. He had a cache that had problems "walking away." He replaced the container, for last time, with a handcrafted, cement rock. I had spoken to him a few days before, and knew he was tired of hid cache "walking away."

My dad and I found the cache, but I told my dad to log a DNF like I did. We both logged DNFs, but quickly changed our logs to Found it. Garminarmin called me up, very upset, and asked us many times if we really DNFed. He had read the two DNF emails, but did not check his cache page. After letting him grumble for a bit, I told him the truth.

The second prank was against my good friend Marty, AKA QHCoyote. He and I had a puzzle hiding competition, with each of us trying to outsmart the other. He had me genuinely stumped, for two days, on his cache Old Rusty.Since someone else got FTF, he ribbed my for quite some time.

I decided to "get even." I hid my cache Coyote Bait for him to ponder. I knew for a fact that he always prints his cache pages, so I hid the real puzzle "behind the scenes." Little did he know, the "bait" puzzle was just that. He solved the "bait" puzzle, and proceeded to go after it. He didn't realize that the "bait" puzzle would actually take him to his cache Old Rusty.

He called me from the field, quite confused. He left me a voice mail that had me laughing for quite some time. He got to "ground zero," and realized that it was his cache. HE wasn't sure what to do, so he actually looked inside his own cache, to see if there was a clue to finding my cache. I called him back, and told him, "Congrats Marty, you took the bait!" I explained the real puzzle, and his found it log is one of my favorites.

March 3, 2006 by QHCoyote (1052 found)

5:00 pm. DANG! Coyotes are supposed to be smart, but that rascal, Kit Fox, had me jumpin' through hoops like a dog in a circus ring! Now I have to arrange for some more headaches for HIM! He's gonna revisit this cache real soon, because I took the Seven Summit geocoin and left a BadAndy Krugerrandy geocoin. Signed log as

FIRST TO FIND!

QHCoyote

I came into the thread hoping to see a mention of Coyote Bait. :huh: I wasn't disappointed. :D Thanks KF!

• ghilly suit____________________________________________$125:00
  • remote control predator call ____________________________$ 39.95
  • hunting license and deer tag for real deer head____________ $ 39:42
  • 3 tubes fake blood @ $:99 ea.___________________________$ 2:97

3 hours waiting for victims in a swamp &

The look on everyone's faces and the subsequent logs_________ = PRICELESS

The Bloated Festering Head of My First Victim

Read the more than a dozen other logs for Oct. 29, 2005

1964e046-2cd6-49c4-a719-3fc390629d78.jpg

Me and Mr. Thomas

I set up a remote call with pigs squealing, distressed rabbit squealing and coyotes howling.

Then I set out the fresh deer head and fake blood near the cache and dressed in my ghilly suit to wait for darkness to descend on the swamp.

I waited for hours for the cachers to get there. I had never met any of them before except one who I didn't know was coming. He never recognized me.

I was standing just 15 feet from them while they signed the log book and took pics, I even snapped their pic without most of them seeing the extra flash from behind them.

Every one had a blast! :huh:

Last Halloween a friend, the Youth Minister at his church, mentioned that he was taking his youth group (~30 teens on a bus) to Manasco Cemetery cache at midnight, a five-stage night cache behind an abandoned Civil War-era cemetery way out in the sticks.

Another cacher and I slipped in at dark and ran a string from the cache (a bloody rubber head) to a box of 500 bottle rockets in a nearby clearing, using a battery pack, microswitch and model rocket motor igniter to set them off.

Then we ran trip-wires on every avenue of escape except the path in, wired to strings of several hundred firecrackers each.

While we were doing this several of the mom's showed up independently with ambush plans of their own - strobe lights, aerosol boat horns and such.

When the first kid picked up the cache the world lit up, then when the rest ran off it sounded like a war going on; everywhere they ran fireworks went off and someone's mom would leap out from behind a tree with a horn or flashing light... it was great!

I was out caching for the day with a fellow cacher and we talked about local FTF hounds. (Of which I am one.) The day involved walking several miles. After we found the last cache of the day we had a mile walk back to the car. On the way my Blackberry went off and I read out loud a cache description of a new cache that was in the very forest preserve we where caching in at that time. The coords were close to the car and my buddy thought it would be a quick FTF run for us. :huh:

When we approached the cache area we looked around in all the usually locations. After about five minutes my buddy found an uncamouflaged, bright orange micro in a hollow log. (I have a picture to prove it.) He opened the micro to read "GOT YOU! Loch Cache." :D

The email notification was a fictitious one I sent to myself. The micro had been in my bag and the note I wrote on the trail. When we got to the cache location I slipped the micro into the log before he looked in it.

Loch Cache

So I placed my then hardest to date cache near his house and put the fake coords near his home coords.

I am so doing that this week :laughing:

The one prank I have pulled is still going on. It has been going on for two years and the victim still gets wound up. over it every week or two.

To bad I cann't post :laughing: I want to keep it going for a while longer. B)

Several year's ago in Nevada we went to a cache called rusty bucket. It was an old rusty bucket about 100 feet off of an old side road near the interstate. About 75 feet further off the road were about 10 more of the buckets. We "migrated" them about 150 feet over past the cache towards the interstate and quite visible from there. We then taped notes in them saying "Trust your GPS - not this one" Mind you the original cache was still by itself and a good 75 feet from the others. Enjoyed reading the logs over the next few months about hoe folks thought they had spotted an easy find.... It was my dad's idea. He still laughs about it. The cacher owner dropped me note about the humor and enjoyed it too.

A co-worker who caches sometimes was working a site in FL with me a few years ago. He called my boss on the second evening (while we were out caching) to ask if I was supposed to arrive soon as they had not yet seen me that week. I was standing about 100 feet away, on the beach taking photos of TBs when my boss called looking for me... When he asked what I was doing I said "Geocaching, why?" and his next question was along the lines of Where and in What State? After the confusion was cleared up I promised to check in more often when on-site...

At the next cache I got a bit of revenge by making him search the muddy/swampy area while I searched the high-ground where the cache was. :laughing:

He tried something similar last year in New Orleans but since I had just finished a conference call with the boss, it didn't work quite as well. Although he had the boss worried I was out caching during that call...

Edited by Jennifer&Dean

-WR

Waaaay too many for ME to try to figure it out...

Anagram tool

first time I have used forum so excuse my protocal. I bought my son-in-law a Garmin 660 for Christmas. He came to visit me in Florida for Christmas. I took him on a few caches and the final cache was to my home where the cache said the Garmin was his. He is now a dedicated geocacher, better than I am.

Last April 1st I managed to trick many cachers in my area to not search for a new cache. My plan worked for several hours, before someone finally got curious enough :laughing: You can read the whole story in the cache description, which was added after a couple of days. Fortunately I'm in a somewhat unique position to be able to pull this off :laughing:

Many, that was a good one! Of course it helped that some of us were 3 hours away at a CITO event. I really enjoyed that prank...please, may we have another!?

I really enjoyed that prank...please, may we have another!?

Reminds me of when I'm tickling my granddaughter and she's screaming "stop.. stop.. stop" and then when I do stop she says "do it again." :laughing:

Seriously, I can't repeat anything this year. You guys (and gals) will be expecting it. :laughing:

Then again, I do have a sock-puppet or two. :laughing:

I my beginning days of geocaching, I found probably my first TB and was excited to tell all of my friends about it. It was from Mexico and I found it in the US. I was thinking that I had a cruise in a week to Mexico and that I would take it back there. My friends thought I was deporting the little guy and gave me a hard time about it.

Unfortunately after my cruise, I got an e-mail from the owner asking NOT to have it go back to Mexico. It was too late and again I told my friends about the story.

Thier practical joke was to send me letters from the owner, who they portrayed as an angry psycho. I got threats and comments that were signed by the TB itself. The TB was vowing to seek revenge for my actions. What made it worse is that the TB was muggled after I dropped it off and so I was feeling really bad about the whole thing.

One day, I noticed that the postmark was from MY CITY! I was really freaked out that the stalker was in town...

...at that point my neightbor felt bad for me an let me in on the joke. I was too releived to get angry at him... I eventually laughed -- they really took note of my stories and added great detail to the letters...

I just had one pulled on me . . .

Sunday night I ended up getting called in to work to do a 12 hour night, getting off at 0630 Monday morning. I checked for new caches before I went to bed Sunday evening and found a new listing. Printed it out and put the coord's in my GPSr. Monday morning when I got off, I checked and there were still no logs. Took off for the cache. Got to the cache, found it, pulled out the log and it was BLANK! Signed FTF and headed home to log the cache, get breakfast and a shower. Phone rang and glenny1911 was on the phone and just laughing. He told me I could change my log to Third To Find! He and jake1911 had done the cache at 2230 Sunday night. AFter signing the log, they had put it back in the cache, face down. The log book had translucent plactic covers and I saw blank pages through what turned out to be the back! :(

Sigh . . .

JohnTee