Aren't you tired of Server Too Busy error messages?

Cydriver

You guys are still missing it. You're not paying for service, you're paying for a feature set usage. The service remains free. Premium membership only means you're getting the features.

So, if you want to complain about the service, complain about the service and leave what you paid out of it unless your PQ's stopped working when the service is working.

Now just where did I leave my foghorn leghorn toons?

:(

Edited by TotemLake

You guys are still missing it. You're not paying for service, you're paying for a feature set usage. The service remains free. Premium membership only means you're getting the features.

No, you're the one thats missing it. People are NOT getting the service that they paid for when the site isn't working properly... People have every right to complain about the site being down when they paid for a service that requires the site to work properly.

No, you're the one thats missing it. People are NOT getting the service that they paid for when the site isn't working properly... People have every right to complain about the site being down when they paid for a service that requires the site to work properly.

Show me. The service is there (or isn't) whether you paid your $3 or not. The only thing extra YOU get for YOUR 3 bucks are features and you help support what is already there. From the first page:

Create or Upgrade your Membership

A basic membership is free! If you create an account on geocaching.com we'll let you know when new caches are hidden in your area. You'll also have the ability to log your finds online to share your experience with the rest of the community.

Create an account now.

You can also receive additional features by upgrading your membership. Help support Geocaching.com and get access to additional features like advanced mapping and search options through Pocket Queries.

Become a Premium Member today.

If you were paying for the service, you would be paying far more than 3 bucks.

I think you know what I'm talking about and just want to argue but I'll hold your hand and walk you through this one more time. We pay for services, features or whatever you want to call them, when the site goes down we do not have access to those services/features. If you can't understand that then I don't know what to tell ya.

If you were paying for the service, you would be paying far more than 3 bucks.

I think you know what I'm talking about and just want to argue but I'll hold your hand and walk you through this one more time. We pay for services, features or whatever you want to call them, when the site goes down we do not have access to those services/features. If you can't understand that then I don't know what to tell ya.

Well as long as we're hand holding....

Yes, you've temporarily lost access to the features you paid to use. To the tune of 10 cents per day, that amounts to less than 1/2 penny per hour that you're making huge demands to stay running at your whim... assuming you want 24 hour access; all because you're slightly inconvenienced during a downtime which turned out to be a mechanical failure causing problems. That's really much ado over nothing... unless you really do get upset at losing a dime.

The point I'm driving is you paid for a feature set to use, not for the service. What all do you get for free?

Let's list that and I challenge you to compare that to any other service that can come close:

+forums where you can gripe to your heart's content about lousy service, and oh yah, keep in touch with other people whom share your passion of this hobby with a multitude of skills and resources

+a listing service that startd off as a hobby code that strives to stay up to provide you fun with a multi-billion dollar satellite system

+a system of allowing you to log your adventures which keeps tally of your finds and allows you to compare yourself to others in many ways

Now let's list what you get in addition to all that for a dime more a day:

Pocket Queries

Caches along a Route

Google Maps

Paperless Caching

Instant Log Notifications

Unlimited (well, 5000) Watchlist items

Bookmark and Ignore Lists

Geocaching Maps

Member Only Caches

Be the *first* to see new feature enhancements

I seem to get lost where "service" comes in on the premium membership perks as that is already provided in the basic membership. That is, you're not paying for that "service". Just features.

I'm not stopping you from complaining about the service, just pointing out your perspective is off. You didn't "pay for it". Service was already part of the basic membership... which is free. Feel free to complain all you want...just don't claim you paid for the service and have the right to complain about it. :(

edited to add you also get the off-topic forums for that dime.

Edited by TotemLake

Yes, you've temporarily lost access to the features you paid to use.

I didn't have to read anymore of your post then that. Why it took so long for you to admit that there was a problem is beyond me. When one pays for a service/feature then they expect to have access to it no matter how much it costs. I would gladly pay $100/year to help support this site but it had better work every time I need it (within reason). The way things have been lately has not been within reason even at $30/year. Lets hope that the fix that was made today will help solve it. So far so good.

I seem to get lost where "service" comes in on the premium membership perks as that is already provided in the basic membership. That is, you're not paying for that "service". Just features.

I'm not stopping you from complaining about the service, just pointing out your perspective is off. You didn't "pay for it". Service was already part of the basic membership... which is free. Feel free to complain all you want...just don't claim you paid for the service and have the right to complain about it. :D

Some people call it a service and some call it a feature. When people complain about it they are complaining about the "features" even though they say service. There I held your hand again :(

Yes, you've temporarily lost access to the features you paid to use.

I didn't have to read anymore of your post then that. Why it took so long for you to admit that there was a problem is beyond me. When one pays for a service/feature then they expect to have access to it no matter how much it costs. I would gladly pay $100/year to help support this site but it had better work every time I need it (within reason). The way things have been lately has not been within reason even at $30/year. Lets hope that the fix that was made today will help solve it. So far so good.

Hold your breath. It's not the end of the tunnel yet. I didn't admit you paid for the service. You choose to mix your vegetables with your fruit.

Edited by TotemLake

I'm not stopping you from complaining about the service, just pointing out your perspective is off. You didn't "pay for it". Service was already part of the basic membership... which is free. Feel free to complain all you want...just don't claim you paid for the service and have the right to complain about it. :D

Some people call it a service and some call it a feature. When people complain about it they are complaining about the "features" even though they say service. There I held your hand again :(

Be clear about what you are trying to say. You seem to be implying that you feel TPTB don't want to fix the problem and are doing less than they should be doing to fix the problem. Or do you think they are doing everything they can to fix the problem and that it just happens to be a difficult process? If the first one is true, then what do you suggest they do to make things faster? If you don't have any positive input, then perhaps you should not say anything at all. If the 2nd choice is true, then all you can do is trust that they are doing all they can do and wait. There really aren't any other options.

If you are going to complain, you better have an alternative or better solution available.

If you are going to complain, you better have an alternative or better solution available.

Hey buddy I'm not the one that started any of the threads complaining about the site. All I'm doing is sticking up for the people that are complaining about it since some of you think they have no right when they do. I/we can complain all we want when we don't get what we paid for no matter how much it costs.

Boy I sure am learning quick who the people are on this site that just like to pick fights and argue...

Hey buddy I'm not the one that started any of the threads complaining about the site. All I'm doing is sticking up for the people that are complaining about it since some of you think they have no right when they do. I/we can complain all we want when we don't get what we paid for no matter how much it costs.

Boy I sure am learning quick who the people are on this site that just like to pick fights and argue...

Really? You seem to be in just about every hot topic that's out there. I'm not denying that I like a good debate, nothing wrong with that. But don't act like you don't. I think your record is pretty clear so far. Check out the top 10 posts statistics for the day

Back to topic... What would you do differently if you were in charge of fixing the problem?

*EDIT TO ADD* I'm not picking a fight, I'm entering into an honest debate about this topic. You can choose to enter into the debate also, or cry foul and imply that I am somehow picking on you

Edited by ReadyOrNot

My bank's website goes offline for an hour a week for "maintenance". Lord knows that I pay lots of fees to use the bank's services....but you don't see me crying/complaining/whining over not being able to access my balance or transfer funds online during this downtime.

I know this is a bit different, but THIS site is up 99.9% of the time.....which is BETTER than my bank. I know that it takes a lot of money to have the servers and to have people manage the database. We should be happy it's only $3 a month.....

If the little bit of downtime that this site has bugs you this bad, you need to find a different hobby or become a "non-premium member". I also agree that you are paying the $3 for the "extras" that the site has to offer. I have never missed a PQ because the site was down.

Keep up the good work, guys! Some of us appreciate you!

Edited by TeamTettamanti
Now if someone could go kick the DOS 3.1 install running btree on that 286/16 that apparently houses geocaching.com, maybe I could get a little caching in still this weekend?

Click for what it is running which seems not good enough

Click for Groundspeak sites info

There are times I cannot log on to

Windows Server 2003 Microsoft-IIS/6.0 I.P address 66.150.167.148

Why should I become a premium member? I am a newbie and don't mind spending $30 for a membership. Do I need to pay for unexpected frustrations? I think not.

You are running for a bus or train and miss it , is that the drivers fault or yours. Think about it.

A lot of people Geocache and have the same problems, is it the sites fault or ours for ours for doing it.

If we all stopped then the site wouldnt be busy. :(:D

I got a few timeout messages yesterday. I shrugged, went off to do something else, and when I returned and refreshed the page everything was fine. And even if the site had been down for many hours, I wouldn't let that ruin my day. When I let my personal happiness be dictated by 2% downtime on my favorite website, it will be time for some serious introspection.

As is so often the case, after the recent hiccups, Jeremy posted an update in the "Announcements" forum. I smiled and imagined a world where the president of the cable company and the president of the power company post apologetic explanations every time service to my home is interrupted.

Boy, I wish my cable/internet bill was $3.00 per month! :(

You are running for a bus or train and miss it, is that the drivers fault or yours.

Interesting analogy. Comparing accessing this site to running after a bus. It gave me a good laugh visualizing a cartoon about accessing and running after the geocache bus with laptop in hand.

Insofar as I am concerned I could care less about not being able to get access because no transaction took place. No money was tendered for services to be rendered.

However, if I had paid for a service even if that was over and above what I was getting for free then I would feel differently and side with the people who claim that the service be performed adequately.

Charging for service, regardless of the form, implies that the service provider has a contractual obligation to perform such a service which in this particular instance does include access, unless the contract contained a clause excepting and modifying the terms of access.

If I had donated money to keep this site running then I would have to accept the performance "as is".

Maybe the concept of the premium service should be rethought.

"For a donation of $35.00 you will receive premium privileges".

Semantics? Oh yes.

You are running for a bus or train and miss it, is that the drivers fault or yours.

Interesting analogy. Comparing accessing this site to running after a bus. It gave me a good laugh visualizing a cartoon about accessing and running after the geocache bus with laptop in hand.

Insofar as I am concerned I could care less about not being able to get access because no transaction took place. No money was tendered for services to be rendered.

However, if I had paid for a service even if that was over and above what I was getting for free then I would feel differently and side with the people who claim that the service be performed adequately.

Charging for service, regardless of the form, implies that the service provider has a contractual obligation to perform such a service which in this particular instance does include access, unless the contract contained a clause excepting and modifying the terms of access.

If I had donated money to keep this site running then I would have to accept the performance "as is".

Maybe the concept of the premium service should be rethought.

"For a donation of $35.00 you will receive premium privileges".

Semantics? Oh yes.

Yes it is symantecs and no, it isn't. The page that defines the Premium membership clearly defines what you get for your money. It did not guarantee 100% up time. It is as I posted it.

Here's where the nit pick split happens and why I made a big deal about TD's inaccurate perception.

Features on this system were running just fine. PQ's still ran while the access to geocaching.com was denied for any multitude of reasons. Bookmarks were still sending out notices, Instant notifications were still getting through, etc. IN my book, the features for that 3 bucks per month were still working fine. The ability to go and log the find or DNF however was curtailed. To mix the two and confuse what it is that you're paying for is BS to justify the loud whine.

Like I said before, complain about the service, just don't declare you paid for it when it is the features you paid for. They perform separately and outside our ability to access the cache pages.

Edited by TotemLake

Like I said before, complain about the service, just don't declare you paid for it when it is the features you paid for. They perform separately and outside our ability to access the cache pages.

Like I said before, the "service" has to be working for the "features" that people PAID for to work. You guys that are complaining about people crying about the site going down need to stop your crying whenever someone complains...

Am I tired of Server Too Busy? No, not really, but it can be annoying from time to time.

So what do we do? We complain. That is feedback. Important to all systems to be improved.

If there was no feedback there would probably be no improvments to the system as the owners could be lead to believe that everything was OK.

When the site has been down, I've still received my queries. I've done my caching and then I've created my logs in Word. Spell checks them, try to make sure my grammar is right and then paste them in. If the site is down - so what, its down. I'm sure they're beavering away behind the scenes. I save my Word file. And try the following day.

One benefit I've found for paying for Premium membership is to get the queries so you're not reliant on the website 100% availability.

the "service" has to be working for the "features" that people PAID for to work.

Actually, that's not true. PQs are run on a dedicated machine. Emails are also on a dedicated machine. PQs can run and bookmark notifications can get sent out even when the web servers are "too busy."

But is is true when you cant get on the site to setup a PQ... If the site goes down when I'm trying to log a cache or just search for caches really doesn't bother me much but when it goes down when I'm trying to use a feature that I paid for is another story. Things do seem to be much better since yesterday then they have been for the last week or so. It would seem that the lastest fix had something to do with it. Its just a shame that it took them that long to fix it.

Your electric car lock is a feature. Your battery provides the service.

You forget the keys to your car but you have the remote to unlock it.

You push the button (access the service) to unlock (use the feature) and nothing happens. Is the lock (feature) broken? Or is the battery (service) dead in the remote or the car?

The feature is fully functional. Your immediate (web) access (service) to it is not.

There is a difference.

Ah but you go after the key and unlock the door. That would make you TPTB with tools to access it from other means. You clearly are not behind the curtains here to use those same tools.

Edited by TotemLake

The feature is fully functional. Your immediate (web) access (service) to it is not.

There is a difference.

OMG you have got to be kidding me... Thats so stupid that I don't even know what to say other then I'm done arguing about it. You think what you want and I'll think what I want.

So what you're saying is the lock as a feature is broken because the remote failed to operate it.

There is a difference.

OMG you have got to be kidding me... Thats so stupid that I don't even know what to say other then I'm done arguing about it. You think what you want and I'll think what I want.

And everyone rejoiced :ph34r:

And everyone rejoiced :ph34r:

And comments like that is why I'm done with it. I find it funny how you people feel its ok for you to complain but jump on other people when they have a different view.

BTW the site is down again...

It's just that some people realize that there is more to life than spending a bunch of time in threads like these complaining and getting worked up. Yes, if there's a problem, mention it so that Groundspeak knows, if they don't know already. Then go on with life! Sometimes people like me will make a lighthearted comment in these threads to create a moment of brevity. We all need that once in a while.

Anyone remember late 2004 when the website was offline every Sunday, and you had to wait until Monday, even Tuesday to log your finds? All you new cachers have no idea what you missed back then.

:ph34r: I have the solution to GC.coms problems, get rid of all the "1/1 parking lot" caches that cause most of the heavy website traffic. :ph34r:

Staying out of any debates, if you really want to get info or log something during the bad times, wap.geocaching.com still seems to work promptly even when The Server is Busy (in my limited testing at least).

Is the wap.geocaching.com already supporting the 7 digit waypoint code? Last time I tried, it wasn't (bout a week ago...)

Oh, and the side was unavailable once again. After 3 refreshs it loaded! Yiiipeee!

The Server is Busy

It is not down.

Btw, is the view right when the perception is wrong? That's all I was debatig.

You make a good distinction here.

wap.geocaching.com is working, so that means that the core of GC is still functional and available. Just not with the full-html/photograph glory. You can write your logs and get on with life, but you cannot upload pictures, view galleries, post new caches, check bookmark lists, etc.

You can log travel bugs as well. Nice to know that this 'backup' method is available for the times when I really want to try for an FTF or I have to log something for someone in case of a missing or damaged cache.

The Server is Busy

It is not down.

:ph34r::huh::ph34r::huh: :huh: :o :o :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

Your arguments are so ridiculous. :o

Heh :D

Again, there is a difference. A down site would give an error almost instantly. A busy server will just hang which is what it is doing.

TPTB maintain a list of people who complain about the site being busy and they are the first to get booted during busy times. Really quite ingenious actually. :wub:

What you say is true, because not EVERY user is getting these errors, just the lucky ones. I think the vast majority of folks are still able to access the site, albeit slowly. So saying that the site is DOWN is not accurate at all.

Show me.

Show you what? When the site is down, premium members cannot get the service that they paid for. Why is it so hard for you to understand that?

Dude, it's a debate in a forum. Not a contest of wills resulting in the utter defeat of your foe if only you can imply they are stupid.

Reworded.

When the site is too busy, you can't get the features you paid for. You can't see the memer only cache pages, you can't get your pocket queries mailed to you etc. Part of the service you pay for is for the server that can deliver the service to begin with. It's true that the basics are free, but since we paying members are helping to foot the bill and subsidize the non payers the server is a valid issue!.

Edited by Renegade Knight

Show me.

Show you what? When the site is down, premium members cannot get the service that they paid for. Why is it so hard for you to understand that?

Dude, it's a debate in a forum. Not a contest of wills resulting in the utter defeat of your foe if only you can imply they are stupid.

Reworded.

When the site is too busy, you can't get the features you paid for. You can't see the memer only cache pages, you can't get your pocket queries mailed to you etc. Part of the service you pay for is for the server that can deliver the service to begin with. It's true that the basics are free, but since we paying members are helping to foot the bill and subsidize the non payers the server is a valid issue!.

For the record, I never debated the server downage complaint wasn't valid for one minute. I debated for what was paid for and also mentioned "To help support".

The point I am making is that the post was made over 2 months ago... Also its not located in this forum where people (people that PAY for this site) are complaining about a problem but yet not getting a response.

It's posted in the announcements section of the site. Not sure that TPTB want to post the same thing every 2 days when a new thread pops up about the server error. Everytime I see one, I'm going to post that link, because it is the latest information I believe. Maybe there's nothing new to report?

Don't want to get into a big debate here :rolleyes: hehehehe, just stating that Team Dubbin gets the point for a win on this one on my topic and what I was talking about.... I DID look in the Geocaching Announcements section before I posted my comment on the 12th, even did a search for some info on what was going on posted by someone other than just us members. It just seemed to me that with all the problems they were having prior and leading up to the 12th of Feb, they wouldn't wait over 2 months to at least say "Hey, We know there’s a problem LATELY, and we are working on it." Coincidence that they DID post something on the 13th? One day after my post?

One thing that I just noticed:

For me this problem seems to happen mostly when I'm using a library computer, mostly Internet Explorer but also sometimes Firefox. A particular window will seem to get hung up and if I go to the address at the top of the window and enter www.geocaching.com/my or any other page it will still stay hung up.

But if I open a new window and go to geocaching.com, it will say that I'm not logged in, if I then log in the new window is fine but all the previous sessions/windows are still hung up and will never clear. The only option there is to just close out those old windows and go forward with the new one and it's daughters. Sure is a pain in the neck to navigate up and down and all around to get back to the spot where you were, and even remembering what it was that you were boing before the server got hung up.

I don't know what this means but it seems to be some kind of disconnect over the web from a session to the geocaching server.