Aren't you tired of Server Too Busy error messages?

Cydriver

It's 10:30pm here in the UK - had a great day out caching which is now being ruined by the GC.com server being down so I can't log my finds. I don't mind logging them now but really don't want to spend half of Sunday logging them.

Hmmmm....

Why is Jeremy silent ???

UK forum

Don't really know, but I would guess either 1. He's working on the website, or 2. he's out of the office (Saturday afternoon and all)

I manage to sneak out one ENTIRE weekend in the last half year - and geocaching.com manages to blow it.

Nice to come back and see that some things never change.

Now if someone could go kick the DOS 3.1 install running btree on that 286/16 that apparently houses geocaching.com, maybe I could get a little caching in still this weekend?

[sigh] ;)

I hate it when I can't get on the site. Good thing it's too cold to go geocaching and I don't need to look up cache pages, but I would like to access travel bug pages...GRRRR.

I loged six finds with a -15 degree wind-chill, blizzard warning and knee deep snow and none of the finds were park and grabs. Its never to cold! ;)

It's 10:30pm here in the UK - had a great day out caching which is now being ruined by the GC.com server being down so I can't log my finds. I don't mind logging them now but really don't want to spend half of Sunday logging them.

Hmmmm....

Why is Jeremy silent ???

UK forum

Because he's out geocaching maybe?

Hey... here's an idea to get past your frustrations... edit your logs in notepad, then copy and paste. If the server crashes on you, you still have the original copy to paste from again.

Relax guys. This is a normal growth spurt every year and they do try to head it off with programming and equipment before it happens. For $3 per month, I'm not going to sweat the small stuff. Now if I were paying $30 p/month, I'd have something to gripe about.

Edited by TotemLake

Hmmmm....

Why is Jeremy silent ???

UK forum

Were YOU at work this weekend? Most people don't work on weekends.

why does the server get overloaded so often. I dont know crap about computers but it seems like the gc server is too busy quite often.

Lots and lots of folks online causes it. Figure right about now folks are off work and trying to log thier stuff from the weekend. Least thats my guess.

blah, if you do get on and write a log that took any kind of effort, be sure to copy it before submitting. Ive lost a couple now that took time and effort to write up. :rolleyes:

Yup, learned that one the hard way, I now compose on Word, then I paste when I am ready. Save my fingers some wear and tear! Just the four I use :blink:

hi ho hi ho its another crash the server goes...and on a week night :rolleyes:

As the error is a .NET error and not an error from the router, bandwidth is not the issue, either server resources, or DB resources. Or it is just time for the windows daily reboot :blink:

Time to feed the hamster some vitamins huh?

hamster1a.jpg

Would be nice for someone at gc.com to at least post a little note saying they know about the problem and give some kind of time frame, I hate having bugs in hand and not logging them. but also hate sitting here past my bedtime when it's going to be tomarrow night before it's fixed. No biggie :rolleyes: Not mad at them, used to it by now. Man I hate going to watch tv with the family when I could be caching :blink: hehehehhe

Would be nice for someone at gc.com to at least post a little note saying they know about the problem and give some kind of time frame, I hate having bugs in hand and not logging them. but also hate sitting here past my bedtime when it's going to be tomarrow night before it's fixed. No biggie :rolleyes: Not mad at them, used to it by now. Man I hate going to watch tv with the family when I could be caching :blink: hehehehhe

They did.. http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=150414

Did you happen to look at the date on that post?

Yessums. Here's what it says (emphasis added):

Our goal for 2007 is to make the geocaching.com web site incredibly scalable so we can, if we need to, easily ramp up to 5 times the traffic we are receiving now. We'll be making the changes with smaller milestones throughout the year - first to benefit the existing traffic in the near term and stages of patches to ultimately rebuild the back-end.

The point I am making is that the post was made over 2 months ago... Also its not located in this forum where people (people that PAY for this site) are complaining about a problem but yet not getting a response.

It's posted in the announcements section of the site. Not sure that TPTB want to post the same thing every 2 days when a new thread pops up about the server error. Everytime I see one, I'm going to post that link, because it is the latest information I believe. Maybe there's nothing new to report?

Maybe there's nothing new to report?

And maybe the problem had nothing to do with that post. Whatever the problem is they NEED to get it fixed and stop monkeying around with it. I know of a site that gets a TON more traffic then this site and it has very little problems.

What do you mean? The problem has everything to do with that post. They made the problem very clear. The site is laced with crappy code back from the days when it was just a hobby. And it sounds like the site was not designed for the kind of growth they experienced. Go try to race a 4 cyclinder Yugo in the indianapolis 500. You can put new wheels on it, wash the windows and make it nice and pretty, even paint a racing stripe on the side. It doens't change the fact that the entire engine and transmission needs to be overhauled. That's what they are doing, overhauling the code. Not an easy thing to do on such a busy and complex system.

So you screaming, "Get it fixed and stop monkeying around with it" is a little unfounded.

Not an easy thing to do on such a busy and complex system.

So you screaming, "Get it fixed and stop monkeying around with it" is a little unfounded.

Well its not as hard to fix as you seem to think it is and I'm not screaming about anything. I'll just let this go since you just want to do is argue...

Now if someone could go kick the DOS 3.1 install running btree on that 286/16 that apparently houses geocaching.com, maybe I could get a little caching in still this weekend?

Click for what it is running which seems not good enough

Click for Groundspeak sites info

There are times I cannot log on to

Windows Server 2003 Microsoft-IIS/6.0 I.P address 66.150.167.148

Why should I become a premium member? I am a newbie and don't mind spending $30 for a membership. Do I need to pay for unexpected frustrations? I think not.