Hi-tech thieves

stora

Taken from this BBC link

Detective Sergeant John Agar from the force's vehicle crime team explains: "Thieves at the moment are using the latest technology, which can track a sat nav system even when it isn't on display in a vehicle.

"So, for example, if your car is parked up and the sat nav is locked in the glove compartment, thieves can still tell it is there and will break into your car for it."

How do they track your sat nav ?

Edited by stora

They are claiming that the thieves use a bluetooth phone to find a car with the satnav in the glove compartment.

They say that many of them have a hands free phone capability, the driver's phone is connected to the satnav by bluetooth and provides the speaker etc when a call comes in.

People are leaving the satnav on and just sticking it in the glove compartment.

I read how once someone has your Satnav they also know where you live - as most people put their real home address in the "HOME" function!

Maybe somewhere nearby might be safer?

I too read about this a while ago... I use the road I grew up on, and a fictitous (sp?) number... where the property SHOULD be, it's literally only 100 ft from my new house!

"So, for example, if your car is parked up and the sat nav is locked in the glove compartment, thieves can still tell it is there and will break into your car for it."

How do they track your sat nav ?

Are the Police assuming you leave it on? If the Sat Nav is switched off there is NO WAY anyway can trace/track it!. Even if left on it would require pretty swish DF equipment to be able to pinpoint it to a specific vehicle.

My GPS mount is hard wired to my windscreen so I can't remove it easily anyway. Always take my GPS with me, open the glovebox (empty) and leave a note visible 'I TAKE MY GPS WITH ME'

Jon