Garmin Mapping on 60CSx ?

ekcwmi

Hello all,

This is my first post and my first experience with a GPS. I got a Garmin 60CSx yesterday and have a question about the mapping. I only got the MapSource Trip and Waypoint Manager with the unit. This program leaves a lot to be desired. For street navagation I know that in order to get more detailed maps I need to get the City Navigator (?) CD or Micro SD chip. If I were to buy the CD can I then download all that information onto a blank micro SD ( I have two, one 1gb and one 2gb) or do I have to buy the Micro CD from Garmin that is already preloaded? If I have to get the preloaded SD can you then upload it to your computer to do more detailed routes? Do either one of these do auto-routing?

I am in the process of reading the manuals and trying to figure this unit out. It looks like this will be an adventure, a fun one at that.

Thanks for the help.

Keith

Keith,

You can load any Garmin map software from the CD to your SD card. There are a couple of minor gottchas:

1] You are only allowed one map container file on the SD, therefore you must load/reload everything you will need at one time. Adding new maps will overwrite the old files.

2] Some maps overlay others, therefore to see the lower maps you'll need to turn off the higher maps within the 60CSx. By example, CN is higher than Topo, so after you use CN to get you to the trailhead, turn it off to see Topo underneath.

I believe the 60CSx will do auto-routing with the right software.

HTH

Hermit

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the help. I believe I'll by the CD and download to the SD's. The cost of them is coming down and I need to be trifty.

Now, where is the best (cheapest) place to by City Navigator for North America.

Thanks again for the great help.

Keith

Does anyone out there know if the Us Topo program is woth getting. We like going geocaching in the state and other local parks in Texas. Do these maps show all of the trails in these parks; ie:Bear Creek Park in Harris county, Grazos Bend State Park, Memorial Park in Houston...

You can actually go to the Garmin website and preview their maps before purchasing. You can zoom into any area of interest. This way there is no guess work. You know exactly what you're getting.

www.garmin.com/cartography/

Select the product and area of interest from the MapSource Map Viewer pulldown menu. It's kind of slow so be patient.

Edited by desertRdr

Davarle,

Weird. I get the same thing for US Topo East. The Garmin Topo maps are pretty true renderings of USGA 1:100,000 map. They are pretty limited in terms of park trails, especially in urban areas. The data is fairly dated.

I've wondered around Ho Chi Min Trail in Memorial Park (when not dodging bicylces), but I can't recall if the trail is marked on the topo map. I'll take a look on my Garmin Topo maps when I get home and add another post.

Edit: No visible trails in Memorial Park, Brazos Bend or Bear Creek. The park roads are show. It does show streams, swamp and the bayou, but it isn't too helpful.

You're better off getting paper 1:24K maps of these areas, or buying National Geographic Topo! for Texas. You can't load them onto the GPS, but they are handy in a pinch.

Edited by Sputnik 57

When I select a map, it opens a black window.

This worked for me just last week, but now I also get a black window. I have Mapsource Topo version 2.0 for the West. I used the map viewer and verified that the new Topo maps have no more information than my Topo from 1999 (at least for my areas of interest). Interestingly, I also recently installed anti-virus SW since the map viewer last worked for me. I emailed the Garmin webmaster to see what he/she says.